Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 2014 panoramic sunroof wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I keep hearing the wind noise going over 70km/h from the center of the panoramic sunroof from inside. Appears to be coming out of under the plastic center connection piece inside. Any suggestions on how to remove this? It worsens when the wind outside is higher, then over 50-60km/h you can hear it already whistling, sounds like a gap somewhere. Also it leaks when in automatic car wash. Also from that center trim piece.
When going over 120km/h its not even possible to be inside, sounds like the window is open slightly.

Can you share some pictures from the outside of the seams, and a general view of the "line": the roof should be well aligned with the front and side "plastic" part of the roof.
I've had a small water leak very early in my car in 2015. It was fixed by Tesla, as a known issue (missing sealant). Other leak I've read about (but not experienced) are the small drain holes being blocked by dirt.
For the noise, after they installed v2 rails, I had similar issue. It came down to the roof (the mobile part), being pulled too much down, creating a lip & small gap on the front end. Reajusting the roof solved it.

Can you share some pictures from the outside of the seams, and a general view of the "line": the roof should be well aligned with the front and side "plastic" part of the roof.
I've had a small water leak very early in my car in 2015. It was fixed by Tesla, as a known issue (missing sealant). Other leak I've read about (but not experienced) are the small drain holes being blocked by dirt.
For the noise, after they installed v2 rails, I had similar issue. It came down to the roof (the mobile part), being pulled too much down, creating a lip & small gap on the front end. Reajusting the roof solv
For the noise, after they installed v2 rails, I had similar issue. It came down to the roof (the mobile part), being pulled too much down, creating a lip & small gap on the front end. Reajusting the roof solved it.
Will do that. Do you want the pictures from the inside or the outside? Readjusting sounds like a good solution. But im not sure if it is being pulled too much down.

Pictures from outside could help
6F1283B9-F352-4DBE-9087-0641C0596A67.jpeg
D6541204-C4F0-43D8-A382-CBB66E7556E1.jpeg
CC41296B-33E7-4DE4-8A78-C1377E89E3FE.jpeg
ED94E14F-9F7B-4C4F-B1B3-1D69F50DC4D8.jpeg

Wind noise appears to be coming from the area marked with red, and the water leakage seems to come from the blue marked pillars.
You can see the leakage through the pillars center in the inside.

The rear part of the seal can sag - this happened on mine, which led to a small amount of wind noise. To counter this, I placed some round rubber o-ring type material up behind where it folds back on itself. If you open the roof, you can feel behind the seal and you should see where I mean. This kind of revitalized the seal and now it mates perfectly with no noise

You might want to also lubricate the runners with the approved grease so that it opens and closes more easily - it can then move back into place more forcefully

The rear part of the seal can sag - this happened on mine, which led to a small amount of wind noise. To counter this, I placed some round rubber o-ring type material up behind where it folds back on itself. If you open the roof, you can feel behind the seal and you should see where I mean. This kind of revitalized the seal and now it mates perfectly with no noise

You might want to also lubricate the runners with the approved grease so that it opens and closes more easily - it can then move back into place more forcefully
I didnt really understand where you mean. Maybe you have photos or video?

Not sure if there needs to be added material in the corners, it could create a water buildup. I checked my roof and it hasn't got the material on that spot as you have.

20220430_210143.jpg

Also, sometimes the rubbers under the roof will disappear, hard to see but if they are missing that will create wind noise and leakage. There are 3 rubbers in total if I remember correctly. (Left, middle and right)

20220430_210225.jpg

Also make sure your 4 drain hoses are not clogged

Not sure if there needs to be added material in the corners, it could create a water buildup. I checked my roof and it hasn't got the material on that spot as you have.

View attachment 799363

Also, sometimes the rubbers under the roof will disappear, hard to see but if they are missing that will create wind noise and leakage. There are 3 rubbers in total if I remember correctly. (Left, middle and right)

View attachment 799364

Also make sure your 4 drain hoses are not clogged
Ok. Will check that! Where can i see the drain holes?

Which part of the seal do you mean? the seal thats on the glass or the seal in the middle of the glasses?

Ok. Will check that! Where can i see the drain holes?

Front drain holes are visible when opening in the roof:

TeslaSchiebedachWasserAblauf.png

Rear drain holes you can find here:

Front drain holes are visible when opening in the roof:

View attachment 799623

Rear drain holes you can find here:

Thanks a lot, will try to unclog them if they are clogged. What do you suggest to do with the seal then? Because thats whats probably causing the wind noise.