Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 2021. Scratches on the windshield after scrub sponge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I accidentally used a wrong side of this scrub sponge (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IR3044). Now I have approximately 1x1ft of light scratches on the windshield right in the front of the eyes. They are barely visible outside, but visible inside, especially at the night time. My nail does not stuck on these scratches, if it helps.

Please tell me someone has a good experience of removing something like that without replacing the entire windshield. I contacted several companies and most of them said it is not recommended to buff the windshield due to possible distortion.

I understand I might not to remove all of them, but maybe at least something ... ?

Thank you!

My guess is you scratched the scum on the windshield. Every Tesla I’ve seen has a layer scum on both sides.

There are different ways to remove it. I use Griots Glass Polisher and Sealer. With an orbital polisher.

Even if you did maybe scratch it. I Suspect the glass polisher would remove it.

If you don’t want to do it yourself. Find a good local detailer.

• Informative
Reactions: McQ14
Upvote 0
Seconding Griots polisher. Something with a very mild abrasive in the mixture so you can smooth out the scratches you made. One thing I'm not 100% sure on is if Tesla coats the glass with anything from the factory, in which case you'd risk rubbing that off (but I don't think they do...).

Upvote 0
Hi
I scratched my Model Y windshield with my wrist watch while cleaning. It was a 1 inch white scratch thick line. I used car paint scratch removers but did not help. Then I tried Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner and Polisher whith a lot of elbow grease and the scratch was completely removed. Even at closer look you cannot see the scratch.

Upvote 0
I bet you scratched the layer of factory supplied scum. Then managed to remove the scum layer.

Upvote 0