Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 60 A/C blowing hot air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

REDI KW

Supporting Member
Sep 2, 2016
San Diego CA
This only happened once, so far. My wife was driving through Los Angeles on a 101 degree day in 3 hour traffic jam and the A/C started blowing warm air. The fans were running normally and the car had ~ 40% charge left.
After supercharging in Oxnard, the A/C returned to normal operation and we haven't experienced any further problems.
Unless she accidentally turned on "range mode", what could have caused this. Can the batteries demand the full output of the A/C to protect against overheating?

I would have tried a reboot as soon as it started happening (suprecharging may have accomplished just that if you got out of the car). You can reboot the big screen (includes HVAC controls) while driving by pressing and holding the two thumb wheels on the steering wheel. A reboot fixes the majority of problems I have encountered in the last 4 years driving Teslas. On rare occasions actually getting out of the car for few minutes is required (the one I remember is if the AP1 camera gets blinded and cannot calibrate itself).

Tesla is a big, modern computer. First support question will always be "have you rebooted it yet?".

This only happened once, so far. My wife was driving through Los Angeles on a 101 degree day in 3 hour traffic jam and the A/C started blowing warm air. The fans were running normally and the car had ~ 40% charge left.
After supercharging in Oxnard, the A/C returned to normal operation and we haven't experienced any further problems.
Unless she accidentally turned on "range mode", what could have caused this. Can the batteries demand the full output of the A/C to protect against overheating?

A lot of Phoenix owners had this issue a year or two ago during the typical 100+ F degree summer desert heat here in Phoenix. It started for me just as you were describing. A single instance of the A/C blowing hot air on a hot day. If I recall correctly, it happened once or twice during the summer of 2014. I didn't think much of until the summer of 2015 when it happened again, but this time it kept blowing hot air on a 100+ degree day. I ended up calling the SC when the issue lasted in to the next day.

When I brought my car in, there was a big group of owners there with the same issue. I heard lots of phone calls coming into SC with the same complaint, too. It's some sort of sensor issue and it's a quick fix. I think the techs just move the location of a sensor and that solves the problem. I was there less than an hour.

What model year is your car? I have a 2013. Could be an issue with the "classic" older models such as mine.

If your local SC is unaware of the issue, ask them to contact the Scottsdale SC for info.

Good luck!

I was charging at the Wickenburg Supercharger at 3:30 PM Monday (6/19/17) in 114 degree temperature. At about 10 minutes into the charging session, the message "Vehicle Systems Being Cooled; Air Conditioning is Reduced" appeared for about 1 - 2 minutes. The charging had added 15 kWh and was charging at 66 kW at the time (50% state of charge). I had just completed a 131.2 mile trip from Kingman at 60 - 80 MPH in 108 - 118 degree temperatures and did not notice any reduced passenger cooling during the trip or while supercharging. Apparently, the vehicle has priority for cooling, as it should.
IMG_4235.jpg
IMG_4239.jpg

A lot of Phoenix owners had this issue a year or two ago during the typical 100+ F degree summer desert heat here in Phoenix. It started for me just as you were describing. A single instance of the A/C blowing hot air on a hot day. If I recall correctly, it happened once or twice during the summer of 2014. I didn't think much of until the summer of 2015 when it happened again, but this time it kept blowing hot air on a 100+ degree day. I ended up calling the SC when the issue lasted in to the next day.

When I brought my car in, there was a big group of owners there with the same issue. I heard lots of phone calls coming into SC with the same complaint, too. It's some sort of sensor issue and it's a quick fix. I think the techs just move the location of a sensor and that solves the problem. I was there less than an hour.

What model year is your car? I have a 2013. Could be an issue with the "classic" older models such as mine.

If your local SC is unaware of the issue, ask them to contact the Scottsdale SC for info.

Good luck!
Hi Shrink, it's a 2016.5 facelift S60. If it happens again I think Whitex's suggestion to reboot is a good first step. I'm 4 hot summer months away from my first annual service, so if it's going to do it again it should be soon.
Thanks you guys!