Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 60 Hartford to Philly Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fellow New Englanders!

Thought I would report back on our recent successful round trip from our home in Glastonbury (near Hartford) to Philadelphia along some very common New England highways. Hopefully the local community might be able to better plan for consumption on these roads. Or, at least have some sympathy for my wife being being subjected to my EV experiments :smile:

The range of the MS60 is of course going to vary with all of the known factors (speed, elevation change, temperature, traffic etc). However I wanted to present some typical New England non-winter conditions with normal driving speeds. A general rule I follow on the highway when range is a concern is TRY NOT TO EMBARRASS THE BRAND by crawling along in the right lane :smile: SI either keep up with middle lane traffic, or set the cruise to 5-10mph above the speed limit. Occasionally this means driving 75, or very briefly 80mph. Sometimes, driving slightly faster to move with traffic has the benefit of drafting from a conservative distance (especially behind large blunt shaped SUVs). In open 65 mph roads I always set the cruise to 70.

Our road trip was taken with three of us (me, brave wife, unsuspecting precious infant) and about 75 lbs of luggage that goes along with said precious infant. Temperature was 70-75 with the exception of the last leg where temps dropped from 65-46F. The terrain on these roads is fairly level with rolling hills, except very flat on the NJTP. Winds were calm, and traffic was light except for the GWB/I-87 interchange and Philadelphia proper. Bottom line is our average was 301 kWh without much variation from leg-to-leg. This equates to 199 miles of range if the full 60kWh is available, or 179 if we assume 90%. In a separate trip I found 98% of the battery rating was available according to "energy consumed" in the trip computer. But, I wouldn't count on quite that much, because a dead Tesla on the side of the road is also embarrassing for the brand !
philly_to_gbury_data.jpg
View attachment 30949

Sean

- - - Updated - - -

The text should read 301 Wh/Mile rather than kWh. Sorry!

Attachments

• philly_to_gbury_map.jpg
    philly_to_gbury_map.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Hello Fellow New Englanders!

Thought I would report back on our recent successful round trip from our home in Glastonbury (near Hartford) to Philadelphia along some very common New England highways. Hopefully the local community might be able to better plan for consumption on these roads. Or, at least have some sympathy for my wife being being subjected to my EV experiments :smile:

The range of the MS60 is of course going to vary with all of the known factors (speed, elevation change, temperature, traffic etc). However I wanted to present some typical New England non-winter conditions with normal driving speeds. A general rule I follow on the highway when range is a concern is TRY NOT TO EMBARRASS THE BRAND by crawling along in the right lane :smile: SI either keep up with middle lane traffic, or set the cruise to 5-10mph above the speed limit. Occasionally this means driving 75, or very briefly 80mph. Sometimes, driving slightly faster to move with traffic has the benefit of drafting from a conservative distance (especially behind large blunt shaped SUVs). In open 65 mph roads I always set the cruise to 70.

Our road trip was taken with three of us (me, brave wife, unsuspecting precious infant) and about 75 lbs of luggage that goes along with said precious infant. Temperature was 70-75 with the exception of the last leg where temps dropped from 65-46F. The terrain on these roads is fairly level with rolling hills, except very flat on the NJTP. Winds were calm, and traffic was light except for the GWB/I-87 interchange and Philadelphia proper. Bottom line is our average was 301 kWh without much variation from leg-to-leg. This equates to 199 miles of range if the full 60kWh is available, or 179 if we assume 90%. In a separate trip I found 98% of the battery rating was available according to "energy consumed" in the trip computer. But, I wouldn't count on quite that much, because a dead Tesla on the side of the road is also embarrassing for the brand !
View attachment 30948View attachment 30949

Sean

- - - Updated - - -

The text should read 301 Wh/Mile rather than kWh. Sorry!

Sean

Is your 60 equipped with supercharging? If so - why didn't you use I95 and stop at the Darien Supercharger rather than the White Plains Mall Tesla Charger? I know the Merritt is a nicer road, but using the supercharger is so much faster...

Aaron

Aaron,

We didn't opt for the supercharger as it wasn't necessary for our needs. In the first 7,500 miles of driving, it hasn't been an issue. For now we have an ICE car if we ever feel compelled to drive further than ~250 miles in one day. This allowed us to get other options which receive daily use :smile: Tesla's charging at Westchester was a little slower than I expected (23mph versus 29mph at home) but still we easily killed the time feeding, changing, and doing a little shopping. The shopping part didn't factor in my cost benefit analysis for the supercharger. :crying:

Sean

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jason!

Yes, I believe we are neighbors! I have seen your stunning white MS a few times. We'll have to stage a two-car display in downtown to drum up more investors and reservations!

Sean