Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 75D Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready to travel from NW Indiana to Punta Gorda Florida in my MS 75D and have a question.

I don't supercharge a lot but something I noticed is the SC in South Bend charges much faster at a low batter level than the SC in Michigan City.

I normally SC around 5-7% when I need to. For this trip I am planning on using ABRP and have my SOC at the waypoints set to 10%. I'm concerned that some SC are slower than others. I thought this only affected Model 3 owners but am now trying to figure out what % of charge is ideal for the fastest charging at each charger.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Lowest SOC you can arrive with.

And keep your fingers crossed that they don’t throttle you and that all the SC’s are working at their peak.

I don’t even bother using my P85D for road trips anymore because of the throttling.

I've driven my S 75D all over the South with little to no issues at SCs. Yes had to move a few times because of a bad stall, but never had to wait for a stall. Even using the urban SC which only put out 72Kw but don't share power with other stalls and are usually found in parking garages are nice. I use plugshare app and read the check ins before a trip to make sure the planned stops are all good. I actually think the SC charge profile on the 75 is lower at under 10% so not sure I agree with hitting there as low as possible. You can look it up there are lots of graphs showing the charging speeds.

I actually think the SC charge profile on the 75 is lower at under 10% so not sure I agree with hitting there as low as possible. You can look it up there are lots of graphs showing the charging speeds.

While I agree that max charging rate on the 75 seems to kick in at about 20%, I think generally speaking it’s still favorable to arrive/charge with as low SoC as you can tolerate.

For example take a hypothetical charging stop where you need to add 60% to your battery to make it to the next stop/destination.

Charging from 10-70% and arriving at the next charging stop with 10% left will almost certainly be faster than charging 20-80% so you arrive at the next stop with 20% remaining, because while charging from 10-20% is “slower”, it’s not nearly as slow as 70-80%.