Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 75D delivery in 10 days, getting cold feet...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my MS 75D delivery is on 12/12, (supposedly) and I'm having second thoughts. I know I'd lose the $2500 if I cancelled now, just for the privilege and all of interacting with Tesla; but these are my concerns...

I was (and still may) check with people over on /r/teslamotors on reddit, but those guys seem to be very much all-in a Model 3 only crowd... I get a lot of responses like "If you're buying such an expensive car, you obviously have unlimited money (far from it) so why do you care??"

#1) Delivery day nightmares. From what I hear, essentially nobody's delivery day goes smoothly. I've found myself preparing a multi-page checklist, and from what I understand, when you take delivery (for me, at a SC) - they kind of rush you out of there, and I'll likely have trouble getting the issues found fixed anyhow because all the SCs (especially my local one, Littleton CO) are really, really backed up. I understand it's on me to check everything from trim to functionality before I sign on the line what is dotted, but I've honestly been steeling myself for a fight on that day, instead of an 'awesome, my car's here' sort of day. I really wish this wasn't the case, but it seems to be a rite of passage when buying a Tesla.

#2) "Smart Air Suspension"; now I'm getting told that (even though there was no option to take this off on the S) that it's pretty much thought that all air suspension on all cars fails at about 5 years. Moreso in the dry Colorado climate. And that unless I get the extended warranty I'm looking at a $8,000-$10,000 repair about 5 years in. Is this overblown? Is it BS? I know an option here is switching to like an M3P, but that's a hell of a change to just avoid SAS failure.

I've worked out all the issues I had with range being lower in the winter (fine! It's reality with any EV) - but really if #2 could be allayed a bit I suppose I could forge through #1. Though really, #1 shouldn't be happening.

I know y'all will be brutal in response, this is, after all, the internet... but I'm hoping i'm just getting a dimmer perspective than reality from reading too much online. Maybe.

One of the reasons I went with Tesla was to avoid the 'car dealership BS experience', but it looks like Tesla (as a company) has its own customer relations quirks that make up for the "talking to a car salesman" stress.

I had an S delivered with no problems and a 3 with a minor trim problem. But, I didn’t go in with a long checklist looking for issues.

I’m happy with my S and my wife is happy with the 3.

The S and 3 are very different cars. They drive different, look different, and are sized different. I honestly don’t see a “this car is better” one size fits all answer.

Edit to add - they are building and delivering 5k+ cars per week. There is going to be complaints online. I’ve read similar at BMW and Honda/Acura enthusiasts sites.

You definitely shouldn't listen to what you see online. The vast majority of Tesla customers have very good delivery experiences. I've been to a few myself, and it's really a lot of fun. Tesla employees are definitely sold on what they do. They love their jobs and it shows. Also, as a Tesla customer I can tell you that they take amazing care of you. Even though I bought from a third-party. I was under warranty when we first got it and even afterwards they've done just a great job. Yes, they're very, very busy but, they'll still do their best to take care of you. They really, really believe in what they're doing!

Agree with the response above. You only read about the negative experiences, there are so many positive ones they people don’t post about.

With that being said, it’s good to go in with guarded optimism and learn from others experiences and don’t be afraid to speak up if you see something you don’t like.

Tesla makes mistakes but they do a good job making things right and making sure customers have a good experience.

Online reports about any car company -- heck anything where people are able to comment online, are going to be biased to the negative. This would be a really boring forum if everybody with good experiences chimed in about their wonderful experience. Think about it, there have been 250,000+ Teslas delivered, and you have seen a hundred or two with bad experiences? A number of the bad experiences were the result of unreasonable expectations going in, since people think it is a luxury car from a luxury car company because of the purchase price. It isn't. Tesla is changing the way we buy cars, and they will make some mistakes. The dealer paradigm has had a long time to develop to be where it is, as have most car companies.

I have the SAS and it is wonderful. I'd order it again. As to the longevity, again, all you will hear online is people with problems. We just don't give a running account of "whew, made it through another month of absolutely no issues with the air suspension". I don't recall all that many problems with the SAS being reported on Teslas, it's mostly that they had problems on other makes of car 10 years ago so they are leery. Perhaps issues will come out now that the cars are getting older, but let's wait for it to happen before we panic.

Your anxiety about the purchase is not unusual. I know I had it, and it just got worse AFTER the delivery, when I had to navigate rush-hour traffic downtown in this vehicle I had just paid 3x as much for as I had on any other car. But it passed, and it was and is wonderful.

Last edited:
Ok guys thanks... this helps. I should probably lay off the internet searching before delivery day. Any thoughts on the SAS worries?
I wanted to order without SAS for the same worries you had. I found a new 75D with SAS.
Car rides great, can adjust height for low clearance, glad I got it.
Don’t worry about it, enjoy you new model s. Life is too short. Once you drive it all worries will be gone!

Guys these responses have been insightful and helpful.... Yeah, it might be boring if we just heard good experiences but, trust me it's good to hear some!

Where I live, in Colorado, the adjustable suspension definitely has its purpose, so I'm definitely sold on the utility. And yes most of the anecdotes about air suspension have been along the lines of "Well, my 2006 Mercedes..."

And, henderrj, 136k on air suspension with no problem? Okay that's definitely the best stat on that I've heard yet... Is that on your 2014 85?

Reactions: avesraggiana
I bought my 75D earlier this year, St. Patricks Day, or as I like to say (not in front of my wife though) "the best day of my life". I had time at the SC to inspect the car but that was before the Model 3 deliveries really started to take off. I didn't find any issues that day nor did I find any since. It is hands down the best car I have ever owned. I have over 10k miles on it now and haven't had a single issue.

My wife will be getting a Model 3 soon. We decided one smallish car and one full size would work well for us. They are different cars with different advantages and disadvantages.

Reactions: MC408 and Davetp
I hope you go go for it and it makes you smile.

I had multiple problems on my May delivery (2018 100D) but it hasn’t been a “nightmare” sorting them out - at all. At every service visit I get a loaner, text updates as my car progresses, a car wash and respectful service. That’s more than I can say for either my prior BMW or Mercedes.

I like my air suspension, and it’s ability to “remember” where I raised it. The car is particularly heavy and you have to go much slower over speed bumps than the average car. Every place that has speed bumps, my car remembers if I raised the suspension before, and it repeats that behavior every time, automatically. (Of course that can be over-ridden).

It’s a great car, and a unique ownership experience. Have some faith, and you’ll love it.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I'll chime in with a mixed review. Got my car in June, and the delivery experience was great. Took an hour, 50 minutes of which was doing the walk through and familiarization. Car seemed perfect. Over the next month, I did notice several issues, which Tesla eventually took care of. Windshield had some frosting that only appeared when the sun was low - replaced. Front struts rattled - well known issue - replaced last month when the part was redesigned. Paint on the hood had some contaminant in it that I didn't notice until I waxed it - SC wet sanded it out and re-waxed. It was tough getting those service visits scheduled - usually 3 week wait for non-emergencies.

Do I still smile every time I get behind the wheel - absolutely! Would I buy it again - yes! Am I considering buying the extended warranty before my 6 month window runs out for the discount - yes :) I keep my cars 10 years, and my gut tells me there's enough that can go wrong with this car, at quite high cost, to make the investment worth it.

I get cold feet about EVERYTHING. I realized it's just part of my personality and it's not really that things are going to go wrong or that bad decisions will be made. Most things can be fixed if they go wrong. And so it's just not worth worrying too much about. Try not to worry. I know that doesn't help. Just know you're not alone in the worry department. There are lots of us worry-warts.