Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 75D delivery in 10 days, getting cold feet...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had mine for 4 months now, still loving it. Show up early, find your car and inspect the cosmetic stuff. Mechanical is covered anyway so din’t spend too much time there. Check the paint around air intake, seems like a prevalent problem in corners

After 3 Teslas I can tell you you'll be thrilled with your car. Regarding delivery day anxiety, checklists etc. Tesla will take care of anything and everything if you find something not up to spec. Because they're insanely busy with deliveries now and they don't have much time to spend with the customer, you have 36 hours to report any problem you may find once you get the car home, This would be stuff that the warranty wouldn't normally cover like a scratch, ding or whatever. It's not like after you sign the dotted line it's now your problem if you didn't see anything wrong at delivery. Try not to stress, obsess etc. Tesla is an awesome car and company and they won't let you down.

Reactions: talels
After 3 Teslas I can tell you you'll be thrilled with your car. Regarding delivery day anxiety, checklists etc. Tesla will take care of anything and everything if you find something not up to spec. Because they're insanely busy with deliveries now and they don't have much time to spend with the customer, you have 36 hours to report any problem you may find once you get the car home, This would be stuff that the warranty wouldn't normally cover like a scratch, ding or whatever. It's not like after you sign the dotted line it's now your problem if you didn't see anything wrong at delivery. Try not to stress, obsess etc. Tesla is an awesome car and company and they won't let you down.

That's actually why I'm back on the forum here. :) Lots of bad stories from the Littleton, CO Service center but I know they're pumping a lot of people through right now.

I was sort of expecting a "you signed, its your problem now" attitude like I see in most car situations. I gotta stay off the forums, I know that. (especially Reddit.) -

Really, before I sign I just want to make sure it's got all the features I wanted. Paint and stuff, trim, okay.... I can deal with that later...

Reactions: Aieukl378
Picked up my Model 3 about a month and a half ago. When I got home, I noticed there was a small paint chip on the driver side door and the passenger door wasn’t properly aligned and clunked when it closed.

I was worried they would tell me that I chipped the paint on the door when I got it home - (not sure how I missed it when I picked up the car - the paint chip was a below the belt line on the edge of the door, and I didn’t “test” open and close each door) but they could not have been more accommodating. Granted it took a bit of time to make an appointment with their recommended body shop, loaner car etc and it would have been nice had the car been delivered without the paint chip and the door alignment issue but not such a big deal. Tesla acknowledged there was an issue, didn’t try to blame me and shirk responsibility and made arrangements for it to be fixed. I’m ok with that.

Well, Delivery for me will be the 15th or maybe earlier this week since the car is at my SC. (I don't want to rush them, if they are gonna clean it up and all..) Trying so hard to not read forums on it, but, man. Hoping all the anxiety will fall away when I drive home. :)

Does the SC generally let you do a walk-around before you do sign? Just to make sure all the features you wanted were there, etc?

Well, Delivery for me will be the 15th or maybe earlier this week since the car is at my SC. (I don't want to rush them, if they are gonna clean it up and all..) Trying so hard to not read forums on it, but, man. Hoping all the anxiety will fall away when I drive home. :)

Does the SC generally let you do a walk-around before you do sign? Just to make sure all the features you wanted were there, etc?

I did after signature. Note any issues on a due bill. Even if you don't, they'll still fix stuff at least in my experience.

99.9999% chance your taking the car and loving it all the way home. Nothing is perfect.
DON'T SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE LOOKED IT OVER THOROUGHLY. I even drove mine before signing and not just down the street either. Like 30 miles. Your the boss here. Your doing the buying or Not doing the buying and moving your deposit to another car or leaving your deposit altogether. Even then if you miss something, more then likely they have noted it already in some pre-inspections and waiting for you to find it. Beyond all of that if its warrantied item they'll fix it.

When we picked up our Model 3 recently at the Tesla Fremont Delivery Center they were taking people out to see their cars first to go over for any due bill issues and ask any questions before doing the paperwork or finish payment, so doubt other delivery locations are operating any differently. They do I think try to stay within a certain time frame especially when they have a lot of other owners coming in for their delivery appointments but we weren't rushed to finish going over the car. No test drives of the car before signing that I'm aware of but they were super busy and trying to meet Sept deliveries so understandable. Aside from informing your DA of any items you may want corrected on a due bill (think we had 3 days to submit along with photo in addition to any found at time of delivery), you do have a return period -- 1 day if you test drove one of the store's cars beforehand and 3 days I think if you didn't get to do a test drive from your local store. Ask your DA about these so you have a clear understanding. My advice is really don't get worked up about something that may not even turn out to be an issue for you. We all have a bit of anxiety I think buying a new car and for many here one that cost more than any other car you have previously owned is enough to make you question spending so much. Once you drive it, well for us we knew then that it was the best car we had ever bought.

It's an exciting car. Love both our MS and my new Model 3 and they are such a pleasure to drive, real game changers for us never having an EV before, something we kind of questioned making the move over to no gas station vehicles. The fact that we and many others have jumped in with both feet and now own 2 EVs says alot. Turned out that we love all the benefits of an EV car and charging as well. Can't wait to hear how things go for you.

BTW our MS is a 75D and has been great owning. We charge at home, office and have used the Superchargers on occasion. No range anxiety. Also have SAS and really wanted it on my Model 3 when I ordered but isn't an option yet. We find it useful in our travel, mostly speed bumps in town and in parking lots, curbs in parking lots, and with angled dipped driveway or entrances like our post office and our elevated from street-to-house driveway. The geo-fencing is great and has worked everytime. We have encounterd an alert a few times when we parked on an uneven surface overnight and the car tried to self-level but it was a temporary issue, cleared and nothing that needed a service visit. Don't think we've seen that in a long time. So overall we've been very happy with the SAS option.

Last edited:

Congrats! I know you'll love the Model S! I'm on my second one and loving it! I had a great first delivery experience and a less-than-desirable second one. Take your time and do a thorough walk-around. Even after you sign, you can stay parked out front in Littleton SC and go over the car at your leisure. If you find anything, you can go inside and they'll either fix it on the spot or make you an appointment. And depending on where you live, the Tesla Ranger may be able to make a house call to fix minor issues (I just had this done two days ago to replace a defective trim part). Good luck!

I've got a 2016 S75D.
It has been rock solid, and drives today exactly as it did when I drove it out of the Tesla store in 2016 (>50,000 miles ago).
Actually it's been improved, since it now has software V9, autopilot has been getting better and better, they did an update that shaved 1.0s off the 0-60 time :)

Reactions: henderrj
Had a friend with a Mercedes AMG with air suspension. It was pretty expensive when he needed repairs at 120,000 miles. Mercedes charges an arm and a leg for repair parts.

Now there are tons of them available, used, from many parts dismantlers. Very inexpensive to repair with some take off parts.

I’m going to be blunt. I’m old. That lets me freely spew advice.

Please let me shift your thinking a bit. You are the buyer, you are in charge here. Not them, you. You’re spending a lot on this. A whole lot.

You should do the walk around, sit in it, smell it, explore it, examine every bit of it, look at every outside panel, check the windows, make sure all the glass edges are flush, no cracks in any glass, no windshield chips, check inside for any damage, and make sure you are absolutely and totally happy before you take delivery and before you sign any papers. It isn’t up to them to “let you”, it is up to you to examine the car and it is up to you to then choose whether you want to complete the transaction. That’s why you sign papers, you are electing to complete the transaction at that time. No one can force you to sign, so you shouldn’t unless you’re happy with that car. And you cannot possibly decide that until you’ve had time to examine it to your heart’s content. If the car is wet as in wet from rain, you should not buy it until you’ve seen it clean and dry. A lot of paint problems and scratches can hide under a wet car. I don’t say there are paint problems but you can’t say either until you’ve seen it clean and dry. Check the wheels for curb rash. If there is anything that gives you pause, then don’t sign anything until you’ve reconsidered the purchase in the light of whatever it was. If you want to think about it overnight, then do that. If you find things, I don’t say you shouldn’t buy the car, only that you should decide after knowing all you can about the car. You should not get it home and then find there are things that you should have found on your prepurchase examination of the car.

If anyone tries to prevent you from examining the car for as long as you want and as closely as you want, then walk away. Don’t let anyone push you or rush you. Once you sign those papers, know that your money is gone, the deal is done, and that car is yours, warts and all. If there are flaws, and there will be some, make sure you are still happy with the condition and price before you seal the deal.

So to ask if they “let you do a walk around” is the wrong way for you to look at this. You are buying a used car. You tell them you want to examine the car. You want to know exactly what you are buying. You don’t want to spend the next 4 years or so thinking of a rushed purchase, repeatedly muttering “dammit”.

When I got mine (new), they wouldn’t let me drive it until it was officially mine. But I did look it over very carefully.

Ok, I’m all spewed out now. I hope I didn’t offend you. You may think me a grumpy curmudgeon. You’d be right.

@D.E. Thanks, no I actually appreciate experienced advice.

So, I took delivery early today. Everything was.. pretty much fine. No paint issues or anything. Was clean, had all the features I was hoping for. Checked all functionality I could, zero problems.

Service center was fine, they were polite and helpful, not at all rude or dismissive.

Trunk/hatch has a *tiny* bit of side to side unevenness but that's the only thing I could find. No other trim issues or anything.They say I can note that and they'll adjust that.

Already drove it 150 miles today since delivery. (It started out with 10.) They say that I have 3 days to note any paint issues that I'll "probably find when I get home". (Couldn't find any there.)

Sorry I'm not typing more excitedly, I didn't sleep last night and was exhausted today, it's been a "big day" :) But looks like indeed I was anxious over nothing. :)

@D.E. Thanks, no I actually appreciate experienced advice.

So, I took delivery early today. Everything was.. pretty much fine. No paint issues or anything. Was clean, had all the features I was hoping for. Checked all functionality I could, zero problems.

Service center was fine, they were polite and helpful, not at all rude or dismissive.

Trunk/hatch has a *tiny* bit of side to side unevenness but that's the only thing I could find. No other trim issues or anything.They say I can note that and they'll adjust that.

Already drove it 150 miles today since delivery. (It started out with 10.) They say that I have 3 days to note any paint issues that I'll "probably find when I get home". (Couldn't find any there.)

Sorry I'm not typing more excitedly, I didn't sleep last night and was exhausted today, it's been a "big day" :) But looks like indeed I was anxious over nothing. :)

I think I misunderstood, if this is a new car, please disregard my previous post. The S75D is simply an awesome car, enjoy it! Someone said they were going to bury him in his. That’s a great line, I wish I’d thought of it.

Reactions: NeverFollow
@D.E. Where did you get the idea he’s buying a used car?

Not quite sure, really, I think it was the part about wanting to make sure that the car was actually equipped as it was listed. It probably doesn’t matter why I was wrong, just that I was. I’ve wasted the time of everyone that reads my long winded post, and for that I apologize.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: unbelievable
Not quite sure, really, I think it was the part about wanting to make sure that the car was actually equipped as it was listed. It probably doesn’t matter why I was wrong, just that I was. I’ve wasted the time of everyone that reads my long winded post, and for that I apologize.
Hey, part of being old is never having to apologize for a brain fart. I get them all the time ;-)