Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP needs to learn how to find "tesla worthy" parking spots, those are generally far away from stores and where others do not want to park.

Most of the time. But there's always that one special person. (stores were closed; almost empty parking lot)

vintage_park.jpg

No actual "kid" advice here but will say that hubby likes to go hiking on weekend and usually came back really dusty from the trails. Always lots of dust on jean legs, socks and shoes and in car. Bought him a little hand brush that came with a clamp on dust pan and now he'll use it before getting in car to remove most of the dirt. Not sure ages of your kids but if you can establish a pre-car entry "dusting off" policy before entering would help keep the car cleaner. Maybe each kid could have his own brush/dust pan. And don't forget to brush the bottom of the shoes.

BTW the dust pan comes in handy for sweeping dirt/any stones on the car's carpeting into for disposal outside of car before it gets ground in. With kids, great if you can train them early even if you do the initial dusting off. Hopefully a pattern they will keep up as they get older and own their own cars.
This is a really good idea! They are 10 and under but I actually have one now that I have them use on the table and countertops before they are wiped down, and I make them clean out their own mess anywhere. Specially the car. Having this "tool" to help minimize the dirt is even better. They literally roll around in dirt playing and in a big kid type sand box, 2x a day swimming and almost 100% humidity daily means there isn't a single inch on them without dirt. Dusting off shoes would actually be better than taking them off. That's another 10 lbs of dirt!

I thought about this after... But maybe I should have waited until after camp to get the MS..... Naaaaa :D we would be doing the same next year anyway

Reactions: SMAlset
Most of the time. But there's always that one special person. (stores were closed; almost empty parking lot)

View attachment 230850
Not sure if this is your picture, but if so, who parked first?! Guessing you and they just had to park next to you :rolleyes:. Also, if it is yours, random question, but what's with the red line? Looks like a "should be within this line" type, but I have never seen that.

In no particular order...I use summon more often than I care to admit to let the kid in and out. Altermarively I am the guy who is going to park in the far corner to avoid cars...Expel or similar on the back of the front seats...No magic solution re. the back of the car becoming a sandbox every time I pick him up from school...Griot garage plastic cleaner and leather cleaner. Early and often. Have a Dyson handheld but not impressed,by it...virtually unable to suck mentioned sand from floors even at max power.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Not sure if this is your picture, but if so, who parked first?! Guessing you and they just had to park next to you :rolleyes:. Also, if it is yours, random question, but what's with the red line? Looks like a "should be within this line" type, but I have never seen that.

Yep, we were there first. Got the kids out, walked no more than 200ft away and then watched this young couple pull up. Didn't look malicious. Appeared that she just prefers to use other cars as reference points when parking, versus the actual lines. No idea what that red line is supposed to indicate, but now I have to find out!

Can't help you with #1 - but I like how you are concerned about other people's cars more than your own!

For the rear jumpseats, I just went with an XPEL strip on the top of the bumper (in addition to a full front wrap). That seems to work quite well as I try to lift my 5 year-olds in there as much as possible but they use the bumper as a step to hop out and climb in on occasion. No scratches yet although they are only in there no more than 2 or 3 times a week.

Can't help you with #1 - but I like how you are concerned about other people's cars more than your own!

For the rear jumpseats, I just went with an XPEL strip on the top of the bumper (in addition to a full front wrap). That seems to work quite well as I try to lift my 5 year-olds in there as much as possible but they use the bumper as a step to hop out and climb in on occasion. No scratches yet although they are only in there no more than 2 or 3 times a week.
Ha, don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about mine too! :D those corners on the rear door though look dangerous!

I have a new small brush and pan for day to day, and my 3D MAXpider rear mat just came in as well as seat covers that are for child car seats that came in red/black pleather (much cheaper than custom and easy to remove to clean).

Over all I expect the car to get dirty like any other, summer camp days just takes it to another level. Limiting where I can is the goal.

Wanted to update in case others with kids end up reading as I have read historical posts. Picked up my MS this week, and picked up very dirty muddy kids all week. A quick sweep and vacuum the end of the week and a quick wipe of the seat backs, and back to clean status!

Here is a list of the items I purchased or already had that works great to further protect the vehicle having kids. Although some of these can be used for non kid owners too.

Car seat and boosters the fit perfect l. I had the seat but got the boosters for $12 at Walmart. No seat belt extenders needed
Amazon.com : Diono Radian RXT Convertible Car Seat, Storm : Convertible Child Safety Car Seats : Baby
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat/48859727
PhotoGrid_1498321397197-01.jpeg

Great clean up brush and pan
Amazon.com: Casabella 1 Count Dustpan and Brush Set, Graphite/Orange: Home & Kitchen

Back seat all weather floor mat. Perfect fit. Lots of reviews on TMC
Amazon.com: 3D MAXpider L1TL00021509 Second Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Tesla Model S Models - Kagu Rubber (Black): Automotive

Match my interior perfectly and are very padded. Great for under car seats or just regular use
Amazon.com: Car Seat Protector with Thickest Padding - Featuring XL Size (Best Coverage Available), Durable, Waterproof 600D Fabric, PVC Leather Reinforced Corners & 2 Large Pockets for Handy Storage: Baby

My favourite for non water drinks. Can usually find these at Ross for half the cost. A medium dunkin donuts iced coffee fits perfectly
Amazon.com : AVEX FreeFlow Autoseal Water Bottle, Black, 700ml/24 oz : Sports & Outdoors

For kids drinks. the lock option is why I like these and use for water
Amazon.com | Contigo Kids Autospout Gizmo Water Bottles, 14oz (Nautical Blue/Navy Blue/Chartreuse): Tumblers

For your paperwork and misc. Fits in the glove box perfectly
Amazon.com: Premier Glove Box Organizer: Automotive

I got this for the middle empty spot in the front, and when I picked up the car, it had a console. But I use it on the floor of the passenger side for misc stuff because its a great small size.
Amazon.com: Skip Hop Style Driven Car Storage Box, Black: Baby

For the seat belts in the front since they are not adjustable
Amazon.com: Encell PU Car Seat Belt Cover Shoulder Pad,Black and Red: Automotive

For the charger on the wall
Amazon.com : Planet Bike 6.2mm Welded Aluminum Bicycle Waterbottle Cage (Red) : Bike Water Bottle Cages : Sports & Outdoors
IMG_20170623_191132~01.jpg

Nice car! like the red striping on the seats too. Thanks for the list of what you bought. Never thought about a glove box organizer but looks handy. Will show it to my husband who has commented there's hardly any room for anything in the box. We absolutely love our Kagu 3D Maxpider mats BTW. Find them very comfortable even when I'm barefoot on the passenger side. We have them for the front and back. BTW for anyone looking to purchase them, AutoAnything has them for less than amazon and they frequently have a coupon or sale going on (in fact currently 10% off right now and you should be able to use the Code SMMR20 for an additional 20% as 3D Maxpider is on the list of manufacturers included in their Summer sale. Plus there's free shipping). 3D Maxpider Kagu Floor Mats (happy with the way the 2016 version fit our 2017 refresh btw).

Nice car! like the red striping on the seats too. Thanks for the list of what you bought. Never thought about a glove box organizer but looks handy. Will show it to my husband who has commented there's hardly any room for anything in the box. We absolutely love our Kagu 3D Maxpider mats BTW. Find them very comfortable even when I'm barefoot on the passenger side. We have them for the front and back. BTW for anyone looking to purchase them, AutoAnything has them for less than amazon and they frequently have a coupon or sale going on (in fact currently 10% off right now and you should be able to use the Code SMMR20 for an additional 20% as 3D Maxpider is on the list of manufacturers included in their Summer sale. Plus there's free shipping). 3D Maxpider Kagu Floor Mats (happy with the way the 2016 version fit our 2017 refresh btw).
The glove box organizer is a great size so its useful for a lot of runs like extra charging cords or small misc items and stays put when you open the box. Had them in previous vehicles and was hair when it fit in the MS

Thanks a lot for the mat feedback. I want to get front ones too. Since the cost is the same buying as a set or separate, wanted to try the back first where I need it the most. I have the stock carpet in front first but they fold and move under my feet and are a pain. I know carpet is better for dust and such so it has somewhere to go, but I have to do cleans weekly anyway. The 20% off code didn't work though. Still a better price with the 10% off

The glove box organizer is a great size so its useful for a lot of runs like extra charging cords or small misc items and stays put when you open the box. Had them in previous vehicles and was hair when it fit in the MS

Thanks a lot for the mat feedback. I want to get front ones too. Since the cost is the same buying as a set or separate, wanted to try the back first where I need it the most. I have the stock carpet in front first but they fold and move under my feet and are a pain. I know carpet is better for dust and such so it has somewhere to go, but I have to do cleans weekly anyway. The 20% off code didn't work though. Still a better price with the 10% off

Call them or send them an email today if you are ready to order. The sale for the 20% is suppose to end today. 3D Maxpider is on their list of manufacturers for the code. One other owner a month or so ago also had problems using the code when trying to order online and they adjusted it over the phone for him. I have found them really nice to buy from in general. They do various sales frequently.

3D Maxpider mats included - 1.jpg

Last edited:
nice, you hit the jackpot on that center console. it's like $1500 or something from Tesla to retrofit it. OTOH, my open center space is really growing on me. I thought I would hate it before picking up, but I love it. That said, for long trips I'm thinking of buying the Evannex center sonsole. They still sell it in lacewood from what I understand. And I can't believe I forgot to take pics of my car in the SC as well! If I ever take it back for service maybe I'll ask them... :)

nice, you hit the jackpot on that center console. it's like $1500 or something from Tesla to retrofit it. OTOH, my open center space is really growing on me. I thought I would hate it before picking up, but I love it. That said, for long trips I'm thinking of buying the Evannex center sonsole. They still sell it in lacewood from what I understand. And I can't believe I forgot to take pics of my car in the SC as well! If I ever take it back for service maybe I'll ask them... :)

I totally agree about hitting the jackpot. My jaw hit the floor when I saw it. I had prepared to have the open space and was looking forward to it, but when I saw the console all that went out the window!

Take a look at that link of the organizing box for that space though. On amazon someone posted pictures of it in their Tesla. It has a few mesh spots and fits a lot. With a leak proof mug, its an alternative that works

anybody know of a good trunk liner/protector that also protects the seat backs? This is useful for when you need to fold down the seats to move something bigger. My wife has a trunk liner that extends all the way up to the top of the backs of her seats; it uses the velcro attachments already in the car. When the seats are folded down it's like the entire flat surface now has a protector / liner.

anybody know of a good trunk liner/protector that also protects the seat backs? This is useful for when you need to fold down the seats to move something bigger. My wife has a trunk liner that extends all the way up to the top of the backs of her seats; it uses the velcro attachments already in the car. When the seats are folded down it's like the entire flat surface now has a protector / liner.
I had planned on buying this or similar when I got my car once I could measure. Haven't yet so no personal review on it.

Amazon.com : Cargo Liner, Alfheim Dog Cargo Liner for SUV, Universal Fit for Any Animal. Durable Liner Covers and Protects Your Vehicle : Pet Supplies

By the way, I found this that looks even better!

Tesla Model S Cargo Liner | Canvasback.com

I have Brica kick mats on my front seat backs to help cover for dirty feet. I have a towel on the rear seat but want to get something that secures in place as that thing is always moving around. I had one kiddo evidently get bored and decided digging his fingernails into his door panel to mark up the leather was a fun thing to do. (!!!!!) Oh well.