Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the next week I am scheduled to pick up my MS! Aside just getting rid of my children :p and telling me you just don't let your kids ride in yours :D (not an option), wanted to get feedback on owning an MS with kids on two main things:

1) the rear doors- aside parking a mile + a foot away from any other car, have you found any products that are worth putting on the doors so that the car next to me doesn't end up with a hole from those very pointy corners?! We show respect and to be careful, but kids are still kids.

2) Jump seats and getting in/out and over all use of the trunk: Anyone use a particular type of cover for the bumper? Maybe a roll/fold out type to help with possible scratches? Thinking they make these for dogs but I'm not finding the right combination of names to search (*edit- bumper flap). My kids just started summer camp and come home with half the dirt from the camp grounds daily and I'm debating just using the jump seats and it would help. However, I'm thinking seat covers and all weather mats in the back seats may be easier to upkeep then the carpet by the jump seats.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Within the next week I am scheduled to pick up my MS! Aside just getting rid of my children :p and telling me you just don't let your kids ride in yours :D (not an option), wanted to get feedback on owning an MS with kids on two main things:

1) the rear doors- aside parking a mile + a foot away from any other car, have you found any products that are worth putting on the doors so that the car next to me doesn't end up with a joke from those very pointy corners?! We show respect and to be careful, but kids are still kids.

2) Jump seats and getting in/out and over all use of the trunk: Anyone use a particular type of cover for the bumper? Maybe a roll/fold out type to help with possible scratches? Thinking they make these for dogs but I'm not finding the right combination of names to search. My kids just started summer camp and come home with half the dirt from the camp grounds daily and I'm debating just using the jump seats and it would help. However, I'm thinking seat covers and all weather mats in the back seats may be easier to upkeep then the carpet by the jump seats.

Thanks!

1. I've found kids to be just as varied in clumsiness as adults. As in, it really depends. These doors can be opened carefully if you have to. Summon is a very useful feature for tighter parking spaces. It may even get more useful.

2. You should strongly consider getting your entire car XPEL wrapped to avoid damage to the paint. You can even just get the rear bumper wrapped but I got the entire front wrapped to protect against rock chips. I don't know of any other aesthetically pleasing options other than XPEL (or the like -- I believe there is a 3M a Suntek and others).

Good luck -- you and your family will love your car.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Also wanting to inquire ways to protect the back seat from 3 big kids, not getting the rear facing seats as my kids are almost my size.

Problems we have had:
1) Hitting other cars or poles with the car doors even while being told not to do so. Often slamming door open or shut.

2) One kid often leaves window down, resulting in rain getting into car if parked outside - ( It rains in Portland) Due to this I kid-locked the windows. He then broke the window button on door. All suggestions welcomed even a link. But please, no negativity.

3) How to best protect interior of car from the dirt that comes in from shoes beyond all-weather mats already ordered.

Look what happened after we test drove Tesla:
husband's 96 4Runner (totaled April) ---> Porsche Macan arriving late July
wife's 98 Camry (engine died 2 weeks back) ---> 100D S white arriving late June
resulting current daily driver: Econoline 350 extended 2010 gutted via Sportsmobile converted into 4x4

Also wanting to inquire ways to protect the back seat from 3 big kids, not getting the rear facing seats as my kids are almost my size.

Problems we have had:
1) Hitting other cars or poles with the car doors even while being told not to do so. Often slamming door open or shut.

2) One kid often leaves window down, resulting in rain getting into car if parked outside - ( It rains in Portland) Due to this I kid-locked the windows. He then broke the window button on door. All suggestions welcomed even a link. But please, no negativity.

3) How to best protect interior of car from the dirt that comes in from shoes beyond all-weather mats already ordered.

Look what happened after we test drove Tesla:
husband's 96 4Runner (totaled April) ---> Porsche Macan arriving late July
wife's 98 Camry (engine died 2 weeks back) ---> 100D S white arriving late June
resulting current daily driver: Econoline 350 extended 2010 gutted via Sportsmobile converted into 4x4
Yikes!!! That's one heck of a ICE history.

Personally I have developed a habit in my ICE to close all windows and sunroof every time I park (FL typically has daily downpours around 4pm). Do it often enough, you will do it without even realizing it! Some cars allowed keyfob closing (my ICE opens all when you hold down the unlock) but that would mean you would need to remember to roll them up. Although a reminder on the app that they are down when it senses rain (since the wipers do this already) would be helpful. That would take liability of accidents off Tesla and on the user to close manually after warning.

Also, I have a small 12v vacuum I keep in the vehicle for quick clean up. May be an option to help with dirt. Every time I pick up my kids from camp, I cringe thinking next week they will be getting into the MS with all that dirt on them :eek:

Small Dyson vac; keep it charged. Always have grit in the seat seams after the kids have been in the car, there doesn't seem to be any way around it. Have fun...

This. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I wanted the dyson hand held vaccum for my birthday! It's been great and easy to clean the black mats in my MS. I usually do it once a week.

Small Dyson vac; keep it charged. Always have grit in the seat seams after the kids have been in the car, there doesn't seem to be any way around it. Have fun...
I actually have one already, 12v auto one, for basic cleanings in between deep cleaning.
No advice. Mine are 2 and 4. Jump seats have been peed on. Rear seats regularly have sand on them from the playground. Driver's seatback consistently has footprints from road trip tantrums. Enjoy the fact that they're in the safest car money can buy, accept that it's just a car, and live happily ;).
Made me chuckle! Going on a decade of being a mom, I've learned just how clean and just how not I can keep things. This is great advice as it's very true. Can limit, but can't completely avoid!

We take three grandkids to their events and sports practises on occasion and that includes their big family dog when they visit our place. I just accept that the car will get dirty. That's the utility of a vehicle and I don't want to baby it. A weekly cleaning is sufficient to put it back to normal. Our 85D is our daily driver so no need to keep it in showroom condition. It's our old and collectable ICE cars that I like to save for another 25 years.

I have noticed that as the kids get older they sit quietly with their iPhones so the issue of car abuse is temporary.

We take three grandkids to their events and sports practises on occasion and that includes their big family dog when they visit our place. I just accept that the car will get dirty. That's the utility of a vehicle and I don't want to baby it. A weekly cleaning is sufficient to put it back to normal. Our 85D is our daily driver so no need to keep it in showroom condition. It's our old and collectable ICE cars that I like to save for another 25 years.

I have noticed that as the kids get older they sit quietly with their iPhones so the issue of car abuse is temporary.

I agree! It will get dirty, and I'm OK with it. Specially when I cleaned my gray leather seats the other day and realized that they were originally light gray, not brownish gray..... :oops:

I'm more concerned with scratches on the bumper from getting in and out of the back from experience from my ICE. Although they will be used more as needed, and I won't be buying a kitchen and plywood to slide in and out that was the main reason for my ICE scratches. Something like this is what I'm thinking, but all the ones I found are in Europe.

Just found this tough. Bumper Protector | Cargo Liner | Bumper Cover - Bumperbib I think a rolled up rubber one would be better to just put down into the foot well.

Attachments

• REAR-BUMPER-AND-BOOTLIP-1edited.jpg
    REAR-BUMPER-AND-BOOTLIP-1edited.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Bumper_Flap_for_Trunk_Mat_large.jpg
    Bumper_Flap_for_Trunk_Mat_large.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 88
The OP needs to learn how to find "tesla worthy" parking spots, those are generally far away from stores and where others do not want to park.
Haha already in mind to do! The main reason I park close now is rain. It rains here when its sunny... But I'll deal and be fine with it once I'm in the MS. I'll be coming from a minivan. Although the same width as the MS, slide out doors allowed for tight parking. Extra steps in my day now. My step counter will be happy

Would someone mind taking a look in their trunk and tell me if there is any room between the foot well storage space (where the jump seats are if you have them) and the opening of the trunk? In other words, does the opening drop straight down into the space, or is there a small "step" area per say and then the recessed storage? Thanks!

Would someone mind taking a look in their trunk and tell me if there is any room between the foot well storage space (where the jump seats are if you have them) and the opening of the trunk? In other words, does the opening drop straight down into the space, or is there a small "step" area per say and then the recessed storage? Thanks!
Minimal :(

Look for a material called Top Gun at a marine fabric place. It comes in many colours and it is very durable as well as being waterproof. If you can sew a strip of velcro (hooks) along one edge it should stay in place when hanging over the bumper and then fold back on itself when the kids are seated.

No need to buy a specialty item in my opinion. Besides, the kids will out grow the jump seats very quickly and may even prefer a booster allowing forward facing views. Our big station wagons in the 70s had rear facing seats but they were a novelty and only used when the car needed extra passenger seating for a short trip.

My thoughts for your consideration.

Look for a material called Top Gun at a marine fabric place. It comes in many colours and it is very durable as well as being waterproof. If you can sew a strip of velcro (hooks) along one edge it should stay in place when hanging over the bumper and then fold back on itself when the kids are seated.

No need to buy a specialty item in my opinion. Besides, the kids will out grow the jump seats very quickly and may even prefer a booster allowing forward facing views. Our big station wagons in the 70s had rear facing seats but they were a novelty and only used when the car needed extra passenger seating for a short trip.

My thoughts for your consideration.
This is great thanks! I am open to something that just works for the concept. Your suggestion is a great idea. I got the jump seats because we are coming from an 8 seated minivan but mainly 4 seats were used daily, very rarely more then 5 (once a year if that) so I wanted a mid transition to a sedan while my kids still fit them. Long term I see this MS being traded in for the Y... Possibly. Time and Elon's plans will tell!

No actual "kid" advice here but will say that hubby likes to go hiking on weekend and usually came back really dusty from the trails. Always lots of dust on jean legs, socks and shoes and in car. Bought him a little hand brush that came with a clamp on dust pan and now he'll use it before getting in car to remove most of the dirt. Not sure ages of your kids but if you can establish a pre-car entry "dusting off" policy before entering would help keep the car cleaner. Maybe each kid could have his own brush/dust pan. And don't forget to brush the bottom of the shoes.

BTW the dust pan comes in handy for sweeping dirt/any stones on the car's carpeting into for disposal outside of car before it gets ground in. With kids, great if you can train them early even if you do the initial dusting off. Hopefully a pattern they will keep up as they get older and own their own cars.