TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MS backup camera difference?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ‘Merica, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ‘Merica

‘Merica Member

Recently my 2013 was in for a DU replacement, and I was fortunate enough to get a 2018 loaner - thank you Tesla! One of the things I immediately noticed was how much better the backup camera looked on the 2018 vs my 2013. The image was incredibly crisp - like HD vs SD. Is there a difference in the cameras? If so, possible to (easily) retrofit?

2. cynix

cynix Member

Yes the newer versions of the camera have better image quality. Retrofit is possible; the instructions for the front-rear camera switch kit should get you most of the way there.

• Informative x 1
  3. ‘Merica

‘Merica Member

3C6CDC92-DEBC-4DFE-977B-15B06CB9C415.jpeg 4E4DA20D-8ADD-428D-BAC0-F07EB6631835.jpeg 28E0D351-E8E6-4FBE-A4C1-EFC0AF39A078.jpeg 601BCC47-2E19-40D5-BB7D-841014659DCB.jpeg Did this tonight and it was actually quite easy! The hardest part was getting the interior trim lined back up with the green push pins. Thanks for the tip!

• Informative x 1
  4. nativespinner

nativespinner Member

Where did you get the new camera?

5. Zishan

Zishan Member

When did the upgraded/clearer camera become available on the Model S? I'm in the process of purchasing a 2016.5, so I'm curious....

Thanks,
    - Zishan

6. ‘Merica

‘Merica Member

Not sure when they changed - I bought a “C” model on eBay for less than $70 shipped

7. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

My 2016.5 facelift has the old camera.
    Jumped in my 2019.5 today for the first time and immediately noticed better quality cam.

8. Rabbitxstyle

Rabbitxstyle Member

This in another one for my to-do list

9. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

I actually bought an upgraded one last night on eBay for about $60 to upgrade my 2014.

10. David.85D

David.85D Member

Is removing the chrome trim necessary?

Or just an option compared to removing the interior panel?

11. ‘Merica

‘Merica Member

You need to remove the chrome trim and the black plastic bracket underneath to get the camera out. You’ll need to remove all the interior trim from the liftgate to push the tabs from the inside. It really wasn’t that difficult. Reassembly of the trim was the most challenging for me. Those push pins are hard to line up without crushing them.

12. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

I thought that the chrome "TESLA" trim across the rear hatch was a one-time-use stick-on affair?

13. random155

random155 Member

I just did this. I suppose that you could heat it up and it might stick again. I just cleaned it off and used double sided tape (the thick padding kind) and cut to fit on the ends of the chrome piece.

14. ‘Merica

‘Merica Member

E2EC7FA1-4402-46E2-A87A-D56534E2D4BF.jpeg
    It’s only stick on around the lenses. There are several clips across the middle:

15. Borntooxlr8

Borntooxlr8 Member

Did you have to take all the trim off the rear hatch on the inside? Or just certain pieces? I’m about to embark on this project.

16. random155

random155 Member

All of the trim has to come off. Have to start on the front piece closest to the back seats. Honestly, this was the biggest pain in the ass because for the life of me I could not get the center speaker unplugged from the main trim piece. If I thought far enough in advance I would have ordered some of the trim pins, because a couple of mine broke.

17. Borntooxlr8

Borntooxlr8 Member

I had a mobile tech out to replace
    My b pillar covers and he broke a couple. He had a huge box of extras and he left a couple for me. Maybe your next service call ask your tech for some.

18. Rabbitxstyle

Rabbitxstyle Member

Checked ebay and I cant find any for $60.

19. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

20. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Have you installed it already?