Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS backup camera difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my 2013 was in for a DU replacement, and I was fortunate enough to get a 2018 loaner - thank you Tesla! One of the things I immediately noticed was how much better the backup camera looked on the 2018 vs my 2013. The image was incredibly crisp - like HD vs SD. Is there a difference in the cameras? If so, possible to (easily) retrofit?

Recently my 2013 was in for a DU replacement, and I was fortunate enough to get a 2018 loaner - thank you Tesla! One of the things I immediately noticed was how much better the backup camera looked on the 2018 vs my 2013. The image was incredibly crisp - like HD vs SD. Is there a difference in the cameras? If so, possible to (easily) retrofit?
Yes the newer versions of the camera have better image quality. Retrofit is possible; the instructions for the front-rear camera switch kit should get you most of the way there.

• Informative
Reactions: ‘Merica
3C6CDC92-DEBC-4DFE-977B-15B06CB9C415.jpeg
4E4DA20D-8ADD-428D-BAC0-F07EB6631835.jpeg
28E0D351-E8E6-4FBE-A4C1-EFC0AF39A078.jpeg
601BCC47-2E19-40D5-BB7D-841014659DCB.jpeg
Did this tonight and it was actually quite easy! The hardest part was getting the interior trim lined back up with the green push pins. Thanks for the tip!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
You need to remove the chrome trim and the black plastic bracket underneath to get the camera out. You’ll need to remove all the interior trim from the liftgate to push the tabs from the inside. It really wasn’t that difficult. Reassembly of the trim was the most challenging for me. Those push pins are hard to line up without crushing them.

You need to remove the chrome trim and the black plastic bracket underneath to get the camera out. You’ll need to remove all the interior trim from the liftgate to push the tabs from the inside. It really wasn’t that difficult. Reassembly of the trim was the most challenging for me. Those push pins are hard to line up without crushing them.
I thought that the chrome "TESLA" trim across the rear hatch was a one-time-use stick-on affair?

Did you have to take all the trim off the rear hatch on the inside? Or just certain pieces? I’m about to embark on this project.
All of the trim has to come off. Have to start on the front piece closest to the back seats. Honestly, this was the biggest pain in the ass because for the life of me I could not get the center speaker unplugged from the main trim piece. If I thought far enough in advance I would have ordered some of the trim pins, because a couple of mine broke.

All of the trim has to come off. Have to start on the front piece closest to the back seats. Honestly, this was the biggest pain in the ass because for the life of me I could not get the center speaker unplugged from the main trim piece. If I thought far enough in advance I would have ordered some of the trim pins, because a couple of mine broke.

I had a mobile tech out to replace
My b pillar covers and he broke a couple. He had a huge box of extras and he left a couple for me. Maybe your next service call ask your tech for some.