TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MS Brakes, What A Waste

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by lolachampcar, Dec 16, 2013.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

So I'm under my car taking the dampers out for the gazillunth time today to adjust ride height and I'm looking right at those huge rotors. 6500 miles and darn near no pad transfer at all let alone the start of a groove. If this were an M5, them puppies would be blue! But no, not the MS. All that effort to put absolutely amazing brakes on a car and then just let them sit, spin and RUST.

Thanks Tesla for giving us the most awesome accident avoiding brakes a driver could ever hope for on a 4700lb car then engineering the car so that lack of use means they last forever.

2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

It just your conservative driving style.

3. lolachampcar

I believe that is the first time I have ever heard that word used in connection with my driving style :)
    I must admit that the MS has enhanced my calm.

4. Vexar

Vexar Member

Hey, you need to drive to Minnesota this winter. You will find out what that other pedal is, what the angry dashed lines are, etc.

5. lloyds

lloyds Member

I agree. I had an alignment done recently and was surprised at how little brake wear I saw at 11k miles.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Hey Lolachamp - I got me a reel nice pair of calipers right off my Schwinn. Perfect for your driving style. Imagine the reduction in weight and the increased performance thereupon when you do the swap. Don't be chintzy on what you offer for them, though. Saved my skin many times back when I was 12. Or 11?

7. richkae

richkae VIN587

Definitely in the category of "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

A reminder on this front: it's been suggested that applying the brakes hard from time to time to get down quickly from highway speeds would keep the brakes rust-free and ready to go when they are really needed.

9. Zextraterrestrial

hmm...I had new pads already (but that was on the front end)
    drive harder :tongue:

and you will get some brake fade too(scary with all the weight)

10. lloyds

lloyds Member

just like condoms.

11. gimp_dad

gimp_dad Member

Definitely agree with this. My friend bought a P85+ about a year after I got my P85. He was complaining about brake noise. I told him to do some very hard braking and that solved the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Zextra, did you truly go through a set of front brake pads already? Amazing! You are my hero. Must have been track time... The family that passed through 50k miles already had almost no wear on their brakes.

12. lolachampcar

gimp beat me to it but I will say it anyway.
    Zex is my hero too :)

13. strider

strider Active Member

That's why a group of us are working on getting Carbotech 1521's that fit the Model S. Switched to their pads on the Roadster after a bunch of close calls and have had full bite, first time, every time.

14. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

And breath mints :0)

15. Zextraterrestrial

They were definitely getting worn but I think there was something changed/upgraded on the front brakes since the first cars? (pretty sure rotors and pads were replaced, rotors were shiny new when I got the car back)
    no way they were toast but 15-65-10mph 6-8 times in under 60 seconds must be a little rough on the front pads? (and tires ;>

did the original front have the counterbalance weights outside of the calipers? I never looked at that specifically before
    I know that the brakes were much tighter after getting new ones and before it was starting to take a bit more push before the pads would contact

16. nolngrgrsngslde

Zex, it sound like you either have no regen, or it is on "Low".

17. lolachampcar

Zex has a club foot known as "The Hammer" :)

18. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I think you nailed it!!!

19. rlcordeiro

rlcordeiro Member

Zextraterrestrial you have a lead foot. My 911 c2s with 65,000 mi has it's original brake pads,and I have tracked it!

20. lolachampcar

There is a saying in racing. The last thing you learn to use is the brakes........
    Please do not take this as a dig, but when I started I would go through rotors and pads frequently. With time, parts were needed less frequently. I learned the old adage that brakes just slow you down :)