Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Door Handle Light add-ons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 Model S is in the shop for some repairs. The repair guys have to dismantle the door to do some body work. So, since they will be all inside of the door, I was thinking of adding on the door handle lights that I saw on another Model S, probably a couple of years before I got mine.

Does anyone know if the door is prewired to the door handle light and would it work?

And if anyone has the premium lighting package, is the door handle light (not to puddle light at the bottom of the door) worth the bother?

• Love
Reactions: Alexbv
I actually purchased the LED lights when I was at the service center. The 2015 loaner car they gave me had the lights. It was the first time I ever saw them. I wasnt impressed at all. They are so dim that it doesnt seem worth it. I returned the led addons.

My sisters Lexus RX has lit door handles and they look very impressive. Super bright and classy looking.

These guys offer brighter LEDs for the Tesla: Online Store for Tesla Model S & X Accessories | AbstractOcean.com

You may want to check them out.

I have the Abstract Ocean LEDs in my frunk and truck. They are excellent and easy to install. I haven't seen door handle lighting in their store.

I just ordered a 100D without the premium package but would install door handle lighting on my own if everything is pre-wired already and the lighting is available for purchase.

Well, I did have the puddle lights installed when my car was in the shop. I had ASSUMED that since they were into the door anyway, it would be just the light for the driver's door. NOT SO. They charged me the book rate for the door that was already disassembled and the passenger door that was intact. Bottom line: $197.89 I had hit a deer and Auto Nation in Bellevue did the repairs. I just had the front handle lights done on both the driver and passenger. Did not do the back seat handles.

The lights: 69.70 for the pair. TO GO GET THEM, labor as 1.9 hours, $58.00. Total 110.20
To install: $34.85 per hour. Passenger 1.2 hours, Driver .7 hours - oh I guess they did take into consideration it was open. So, 40 minutes to plug in the light.

When I spoke to the adjuster early on, I was verbally quoted, oh the lights are $60. So, when the bill came in a $197 I was a bit disappointed.

Hi, any chance you know how much they cost? Ty
Well, I did have the puddle lights installed when my car was in the shop. I had ASSUMED that since they were into the door anyway, it would be just the light for the driver's door. NOT SO. They charged me the book rate for the door that was already disassembled and the passenger door that was intact. Bottom line: $197.89 I had hit a deer and Auto Nation in Bellevue did the repairs. I just had the front handle lights done on both the driver and passenger. Did not do the back seat handles.

Thank you!
The lights: 69.70 for the pair. TO GO GET THEM, labor as 1.9 hours, $58.00. Total 110.20
To install: $34.85 per hour. Passenger 1.2 hours, Driver .7 hours - oh I guess they did take into consideration it was open. So, 40 minutes to plug in the light.

When I spoke to the adjuster early on, I was verbally quoted, oh the lights are $60. So, when the bill came in a $197 I was a bit disappointed.

• Informative
Reactions: duybile
Spoke the other day with my tech advisor at Tesla about installing those door handle lights. He told me that unfortunately my car isn't fit for it, as it doesn't have the electrical harness pre-installed.
Anyone knows if it's correct, didn't see anyone mentioning any restrictions about installing them. Thx

Spoke the other day with my tech advisor at Tesla about installing those door handle lights. He told me that unfortunately my car isn't fit for it, as it doesn't have the electrical harness pre-installed.
Anyone knows if it's correct, didn't see anyone mentioning any restrictions about installing them. Thx

Depends on what kind of mystery Tesla you have. You might just want to call the 800 number and get a second opinion from the parts department.

I actually purchased the LED lights when I was at the service center. The 2015 loaner car they gave me had the lights. It was the first time I ever saw them. I wasnt impressed at all. They are so dim that it doesnt seem worth it. I returned the led addons.

My sisters Lexus RX has lit door handles and they look very impressive. Super bright and classy looking.
So, do they come pre-wired or not? Thx