Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS from 19s to 20s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

I'm getting the new model S 75D delivered sometime next month, looking for recommendations on buyings 20s in the Bay Area. I am planning to swap the stock 19s for 20s, but was looking for some input on longevity differences on a fresh set and possibly range impact. I've read hundreds of post about the quality of tires on 19s being around 20~40k miles before needing to be replaced was wondering what the outlook expectancy is for 20s.

Share your thoughts below!

Thanks,

Too many variables always at play when questions about tire choices, life expectancy, etc. come up. All depends on your priorities - longest lasting without concern for quality or performance? Super sticky rubber at the expense of price and longevity? There are tires out there with mileage guarantees, but they are too hard/low performance for me.
The only absolute is the weight. If you add more weight, range will suffer. I went from the stock 19s with MXM4s to 20s (staggered Niche Misanos with Falken FK453) and only added 8lbs total so range impact is negligible. Like I said above, I like a summer tire vs all-season so I’m not expecting to get 30K miles from these tires.

Too many variables always at play when questions about tire choices, life expectancy, etc. come up. All depends on your priorities - longest lasting without concern for quality or performance? Super sticky rubber at the expense of price and longevity? There are tires out there with mileage guarantees, but they are too hard/low performance for me.
The only absolute is the weight. If you add more weight, range will suffer. I went from the stock 19s with MXM4s to 20s (staggered Niche Misanos with Falken FK453) and only added 8lbs total so range impact is negligible. Like I said above, I like a summer tire vs all-season so I’m not expecting to get 30K miles from these tires.

Sounds like a nice wheel package. Can you post some pictures and specs?

Sounds like a nice wheel package. Can you post some pictures and specs?

20x9 ET35 Front with 245/40/20 FK510
20x10.5 ET 35 Rear with 275/35/20 FK510

Attachments

• 10CB77BC-2EBA-4B24-9A1D-4F40768E4547.jpeg
    10CB77BC-2EBA-4B24-9A1D-4F40768E4547.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 138
Whats the difference between 20x9 and 20.10 staggered and 20x9standard im assuming staggered is for better performance on a P100 model? Would you recommend standard if I value more of preserving range on a 75D?

Thanks,
It’s all completely aesthetics essentially. There are debates abound, but for the street, I’m sticking with my orig statement. Going squared gives you more tire choices as well as the ability to rotate. You could choose wisely and actually reduce weight compared to stock, which would increase your range.
I chose staggered because of the wider rear wheel with more concavity and the ability to handle a 275mm wide tire.

It’s all completely aesthetics essentially. There are debates abound, but for the street, I’m sticking with my orig statement. Going squared gives you more tire choices as well as the ability to rotate. You could choose wisely and actually reduce weight compared to stock, which would increase your range.
I chose staggered because of the wider rear wheel with more concavity and the ability to handle a 275mm wide tire.
Cool I think I will be going square for now, thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: Doanster1
+1 for square setup. Just get some 5mm spacers for the rear to flush them out some, and buy West Coast brand lug nuts (very long thread engagement) You won't risk anything with that small of spacer, thread engagement will be just as much as before with those lug nuts as well.

I just ordered 20x9s for front and rear (wanted 20x10 rears) for the ability to rotate. 30mm offset

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
I'm in the market for wheel/tire package for my MS75. What are the pros/cons of changing to 20" wheels/tires? The wheel I'm considering is 9" x 32mm offset. I assume this is within the specs of what others have found suitable. If there is no removable cap, are you just putting a tesla decal over the manufacturer's? I wouldn't mind ordinarily, but the Beyern wheels I'm looking at have that hideous bavarian motif. Looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+ rubber.

Beyern Antler.png

Hey Guys,

I'm getting the new model S 75D delivered sometime next month, looking for recommendations on buyings 20s in the Bay Area. I am planning to swap the stock 19s for 20s, but was looking for some input on longevity differences on a fresh set and possibly range impact. I've read hundreds of post about the quality of tires on 19s being around 20~40k miles before needing to be replaced was wondering what the outlook expectancy is for 20s.

Share your thoughts below!

Thanks,
I was just at my SC getting a tire rotation and the tread on my MS75 w/ OEM tires is down to 3.5mm after 15k. The Tech said that is pretty typical, so it goes to show YMMV. Just curious why are swapping the 19s for 20s?

I'm in the market for wheel/tire package for my MS75. What are the pros/cons of changing to 20" wheels/tires? The wheel I'm considering is 9" x 32mm offset. I assume this is within the specs of what others have found suitable. If there is no removable cap, are you just putting a tesla decal over the manufacturer's? I wouldn't mind ordinarily, but the Beyern wheels I'm looking at have that hideous bavarian motif. Looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+ rubber.

View attachment 314526
20x9 +32mm squared will be fine and pose no issues for you. You’ll have to measure the size of the center caps and see if there’s a vendor on eBay that has/can make stickers for you. I don’t like that blue/white Bayern logo either.
My Niche caps blend in with the wheel (color matched) so I didn’t bother getting the Tesla logo stickers.

20x9 +32mm squared will be fine and pose no issues for you. You’ll have to measure the size of the center caps and see if there’s a vendor on eBay that has/can make stickers for you. I don’t like that blue/white Bayern logo either.
My Niche caps blend in with the wheel (color matched) so I didn’t bother getting the Tesla logo stickers.

Tsportline has a sale going on for the next few days of 10% and free shipping. Might just jump on a set of wheels or go to a +1 setup.

View attachment 314526

You can get Tesla decals on Etsy.
Custom vinyl decal stickers, shirts, graphics, wrap. by CustomVinylDecalsLV
Good prices and was very responsive when I asked him questions.
I had him do custom sizes for me.

View attachment 314526

You can also get the wheel decals from TeslaTats on Etsy. Custom sizes available for aftermarket wheels as well.