Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS is going in for warranty work. What to expect for a loaner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, to be able to drive a Roadster for a day would be AWESOME!

The only time I've even seen one in person was at the grand opening of the local service center where and attendee had brought one and I saw it parked in the lot. Very... uh... cute little cars.

They said it belong to a customer.
I went to the Raleigh SS and they had a Roadster. and they wouldn't even let me set in it. They said it belong to a customer
P1040603.JPG

I think Tesla Motors gave me this Cruze on purpose, so I would appreciate my MS even more. This has to be the worst car ever made in recent years. Or maybe I've just become spoilt in the short 6 weeks I've owned my Tesla, lol. At least the wife took it to work today so I can use the Infiniti... which is still just "meh" now.

Waiting on my SC to call and say I can come get my car...

Last edited:
Wait... get this. I showed up to pick up my MS and the SC informed me that "someone delivering a car to a customer has [my] keys in his pocket". Now I get to sit around for another 15 to 30 more minutes, after having sat in traffic for an hour to get here. Sigh.

I've always gotten a tesla loaner, but never a P85D. Pretty sure that the Cleveland service center does not have any of those as loaners. I've had an 85D and a P85. Neither had the upgraded seats and made me really miss my car. It's amazing how much better the newer seats are!! I was also pretty unimpressed with the P85. While it's a bit faster than the 85D, the difference wasn't really noticeable to me and the 85D feels significantly more stable/solid on take off. I actually didn't feel it was safe to do take offs in the P85! After that experience, I would not recommend any of the non-D vehicles. They may be as good as any other rear wheel drive vehicle, but they don't compare to the dual motor version.

I've always gotten a tesla loaner, but never a P85D. Pretty sure that the Cleveland service center does not have any of those as loaners. I've had an 85D and a P85. Neither had the upgraded seats and made me really miss my car. It's amazing how much better the newer seats are!! I was also pretty unimpressed with the P85. While it's a bit faster than the 85D, the difference wasn't really noticeable to me and the 85D feels significantly more stable/solid on take off. I actually didn't feel it was safe to do take offs in the P85! After that experience, I would not recommend any of the non-D vehicles. They may be as good as any other rear wheel drive vehicle, but they don't compare to the dual motor version.
All depends on the tires. With the summer performance staggered tires on, my P85+ felt quite solid on launch, with my winters on, it gets a little more squirely when I really punch it. That said, the cost savings (more than just the difference between D and non-D because skipping D allowed me to buy inventory for an even bigger discount) and the larger frunk, more than make up for the lack of AWD for me.

Not for me they didn't, I am not even sure how they would. You are taken to a car rental place and then deal with them. The mix up over who pays for the rental was sorted out for me and Tesla did pay.

Tesla told me they're covering gas. I get to Enterprise, tell them it's the Tesla account, they say everything is covered, including gas. I only needed the car for 1 day, so as long as I didn't empty the tank, I bring it back with less than it had, and Tesla pays.

Now, if I needed to take a 3-day multi-state roadtrip, I'm not sure they'd pay for my gas. Who knows.

Just to show a different side of this morning's San Diego SC experience related to loaners. I was given, without specifying, an Enterprise 2016 BMW 328i with just 500 miles. Enterprise paperwork had already been pre-filled-out except for my license/insurance info, and the car was ready out in the lot. The tank was 1/2 full and there is no need for me to replace what I use, as it's covered. The Enterprise Rep's comment was if I did need to fill up (which I won't), to keep the receipt and give it to Tesla when I return the car. I did ask about what types of cars Enterprise generally provides, and her response was they try to make luxury loaners available for Tesla, but they do sometimes run out and have to go with what they have.

...so, my morning has started out well: The Tesla Service Advisor that I met only once before remembered my name and our previous discussion when I came in the door, paperwork was simple, and my loaner experience was pretty danged awesome -- even if I didn't get a Tesla loaner (which I was told are very few and far between here in San Diego.)

I didn't get a Tesla either, and chose to forego the loaner from Enterprise and use one of my poor, long forgotten step-cars left rotting in the garage instead. It was not even remotely fun anymore. Damn you, Tesla! :scared:

I missed you again BertL - by a day! But mine is still there. Maybe we'll actually cross paths one of these times. What was yours in for?

I didn't get a Tesla either, and chose to forego the loaner from Enterprise and use one of my poor, long forgotten step-cars left rotting in the garage instead. It was not even remotely fun anymore. Damn you, Tesla! :scared:

I missed you again BertL - by a day! But mine is still there. Maybe we'll actually cross paths one of these times. What was yours in for?

Amazing we missed each other AGAIN. One of these days our paths will physically cross!!! In for just some misc since taking delivery: replace a plastic sill that had glue on it at delivery; alignment - car drifts slightly right; driver wiper chatter, officially reporting my USB Media Player issues and loss of rated range -- although I don't expect resolution of the last three (wiper chatter is a Tesla and/or Bosch design issue with not enough pressure on the lower end of the blade, USB is software problems the SC can't resolve, as is likely the range issue.). ...but as I told Brian, at a minimum I want to officially get the issues reported to help light a fire under any Tesla Execs that may be more focused on autopilot development than resolving existing problems. ;). Should have my MS back today I pray. This BMW is fun for the memories (owned a 2009 335i vert), but it's not my MS, and I hated using the brake pedal so much on the way home because of no regen. Spoiled by my Tesla? Yes, I already am.

Well, I was just told that the software update has been done and that was the cause of my heater issues. We shall see. They are delivering the car back to me later today. Nice service!

And now I am watching my app as she is driven back to me. I wants to buy more stuff from this Elon guy!

Last edited:
I have an appt on Monday for noisy dash above glovebox and have asked for a 70 as I want to see what those are like as I hope to find a used one next year for my dd. I was told they would try to give me a Tesla, but couldn't promise and that Enterprise would provide a loaner if not. I hope it comes full of gas!

Best friend and a gaggle of Sony friends are demanding to see me. Best friend could care less about the 70. Sony friends demand its presence. Would be happy to let you check it out when I head down there. We can find a big empty parking lot and play toss the hands up and say wheeeeeee

Best friend and a gaggle of Sony friends are demanding to see me. Best friend could care less about the 70. Sony friends demand its presence. Would be happy to let you check it out when I head down there. We can find a big empty parking lot and play toss the hands up and say wheeeeeee
Yes, let me know when you are down here. Although with my new software update to 2.9.68 my AP may not function in a parking lot anymore, or so rumor has it.