Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS is going in for warranty work. What to expect for a loaner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that it ultimately matters but what is Teslas SOP regarding loaner vehicles? As my (basically) brand new 85D is going to to get the pano roof fixed, my service center informed me I'd be getting a loaner vehicle in the meantime. Should I expect another 85D, or is it sort of whatevers available? And yes I'm really just hoping I get a P model, heh.

I've had P85+ loaners each time I brought the car in (3? 4? times). I've also had a C300 Mercedes because they didn't have any loaners, and Tesla paid for gas.

I've heard other people had P85Ds, and I think someone had a 60kw. I think they lean to give you the best of what's available, so that you may say "huh, maybe I need to upgrade to a P" ;)

I've had everything from a standard 85 to a P85+. Never had a D or a DL, though. Once I had a BMW when they were out of MS loaners. It's really hard to predict what you'll get. I'm looking forward to the day when I get an X as a loaner for my MS.

First time: a nearly new P85D in pearl white, fully optioned out. VIN was around 99XXX.
Second time: an older but still nice P85D in silver, also optioned out. VIN around 65XXX.
Third time: a 60 in dark blue, still had AutoPilot and other options. VIN around 69XXX I think.

Not a knock against the 60 (it was still a lovely car for the 24 hours I drove it!) but I hope you get one of the P85Ds - it's a blast to drive!

First time: a nearly new P85D in pearl white, fully optioned out. VIN was around 99XXX.
Second time: an older but still nice P85D in silver, also optioned out. VIN around 65XXX.
Third time: a 60 in dark blue, still had AutoPilot and other options. VIN around 69XXX I think.

Not a knock against the 60 (it was still a lovely car for the 24 hours I drove it!) but I hope you get one of the P85Ds - it's a blast to drive!

Me too as I never drove one. I figured, as the wife would never let me pay the extra coin over the 85D, there was no point in teasing myself. Of course if they want to lend me one for a day or two...

Not that it ultimately matters but what is Teslas SOP regarding loaner vehicles? As my (basically) brand new 85D is going to to get the pano roof fixed, my service center informed me I'd be getting a loaner vehicle in the meantime. Should I expect another 85D, or is it sort of whatevers available? And yes I'm really just hoping I get a P model, heh.

Tesla often sells most of their loaner cars near the end of the year so you should consider yourself lucky if you get anything other than an ICE rental from enterprise. I've gotten Model S loaners on two occasions, Enterprise rentals three or four times, and rides to work for the other service visits. At least the last rental was a Mercedes C300 and Tesla paid for the gas. But I've been spoiled by my Model S and my wife's BMW i3 and was very glad when my car was done so I could give the Mercedes back!

I wonder if the car you get has anything to do with the car you have? Ill be sure to let everyone know what I get tomorrow. TBH, they just said they would "provide me with a loaner". It could be a Honda Insight for all I know.
Yes. If the SC runs out of Tesla's, I have seen Enterprise providing loaners at the SD SC (and Enterprise does not have Teslas in available inventory at the Miramar location that services Tesla when I checked with them in early October.). ;)

I've had a p85 and p85+ on my two visits. My most recent one last month I was told the day before that they won't have a MS available so it would be a luxury car from enterprise and they will cover the gas. I asked if I changed my appointment to the following day to see if it made any difference, they said no problem we can get you a MS then. I showed up and I asked what they had available he said your choice between a 60 or P85.
My SC has been great and very accommodating, I can't thank them enough for taking good care of me.

Only one visit so far, took in my P85+, was given a 70D loaner. it was "ok" but I missed my car.
I missed my full size frunk, stroller didn't fit in the frunk of the D, the driving wasn't quite as peppy as I'm used to, and I don't know how anyone lives with a full black (including headliner) interior, I was getting claustrophobic by the end of the day!
Only thing that was really nice was it had the heated steering wheel and that day was cold and raining.

I got a Tesla the first time S85, the second was a Lincoln SUV with a 0-60 time of 2 seconds (only when driven off a cliff) . After 3 days I got a call from Enterprise telling me they would charge me 2 days for my one day rental . I also found at the time a lot of upselling of Enterprise insurance . I paid for my own gas.

I have an appt on Monday for noisy dash above glovebox and have asked for a 70 as I want to see what those are like as I hope to find a used one next year for my dd. I was told they would try to give me a Tesla, but couldn't promise and that Enterprise would provide a loaner if not. I hope it comes full of gas!

I got a Tesla the first time S85, the second was a Lincoln SUV with a 0-60 time of 2 seconds (only when driven off a cliff) . After 3 days I got a call from Enterprise telling me they would charge me 2 days for my one day rental . I also found at the time a lot of upselling of Enterprise insurance . I paid for my own gas.

The bad part is that you have to pay for gas when you get ICE car..Not that it is bad but defeats the purpose IMHO

- - - Updated - - -

Dealers tend to seduce you with a more pricey car if they have one available.

What dealers are we talking about here? :confused: