Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS lease until M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 2012 LEAF's lease expires in May 2015 I am considering leasing the MS85D for 3 years, at which lease end I would lease the M3 for the next 3 years.

• Will M3 be available by then?
  • Will I be too enthralled with the MS85D that I will be unhappy reducing to the M3?

I am 79, so I am thinking of splurging for three years and then scaling back. I may not be able or allowed to drive for very many more years.

I have enjoyed driving for 63 years many different cars, including several hybrids, AWDs and Acuras etc.

We have no idea when the M3 will be released. Whatever Tesla currently says, add 1-2 years.

Most likely there will be an M3 variant similar in performance to the P85D. Knowing Elon it will probably be even faster. But that's an assumption of course!

you may be, by far, the most senior member of this forum. and possibnly any major EV forum

welcome!

many ppl here will swear that the 3 is coming 2017. i think 2018 is more realistic. and if you dont want to experience early adopters remorse (like those from the D announcement), buying for 2019 or 2020 delivery would be better.

By the elegant simplicity you used to pose your question, I imagine you are a good and generous soul. Great things await you after this world, but while still here, and still able, lease a Model S for 3 years. I have absolutely no doubt - you will not regret it. When May of 2018 comes, maybe Tesla will have M3, maybe they won't; maybe you'll want it if they have it, after 3 years of MS maybe you won't; but you'll have had three joyous smiling years driving MS, and I can tell you have earned it and deserve it. Enjoy!

Thank you for your good advice.

In case you are interested, I have been a promoter of electric cars for several years:

I am a retired physics professor at Virginia Tech. My field was particle-physics phenomenology (analyzing large data sets from large accelerators using powerful computers Roper resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I also did some research on nerve excitation and resources depletion, and still do the latter. http://www.roperld.com/science/minerals/minerals.htm

When my 2012 LEAF's lease expires in May 2015 I am considering leasing the MS85D for 3 years, at which lease end I would lease the M3 for the next 3 years.

• Will M3 be available by then?
  • Will I be too enthralled with the MS85D that I will be unhappy reducing to the M3?

I am 79, so I am thinking of splurging for three years and then scaling back. I may not be able or allowed to drive for very many more years.

I have enjoyed driving for 63 years many different cars, including several hybrids, AWDs and Acuras etc.
If you lease a Model S 85D for 3 years right after your Leaf the lease would expire around May of 2018. Which would be cutting it close if you wanted to jump right to a Model 3, since the volume ramp of the Gigafactory is still unknown. However if the battery factory does start producing cells by the end of 2016 it would be possible for the model 3 to be in volume production by the end of 2017 but that is the soonest I would expect the Model 3.