Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS LR Brake Squeak AFTER Fully Stopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought it in today to get it looked at.

Turns out it was just the slippage of the brakes on the rebound, after the car stops, causing the noise. Occurs when you don’t use the brakes normally (my situation as I’ve gotten pretty used to the regen).

For others’ reference: they fixed the noise by doing a brake burnish (essentially wearing a layer of the brakes), but noted the sound will come back if I don’t use my brakes normally.
Mine is doing the same and they told me the same story. They burnished them and noise came back within a few hours of driving. It’s not the normal break squeal, sounds like a duck. Add this to all the other problems plus terrible customer service and this is my first and last Tesla. I drive a $160k embarrassment. I am an engineer for 30+ years and if I sold a product like this I would have no company. The car has so many good features but it does not make up for all the issues.

• Funny
Reactions: leonwu
Mine is doing the same and they told me the same story. They burnished them and noise came back within a few hours of driving. It’s not the normal break squeal, sounds like a duck. Add this to all the other problems plus terrible customer service and this is my first and last Tesla. I drive a $160k embarrassment. I am an engineer for 30+ years and if I sold a product like this I would have no company. The car has so many good features but it does not make up for all the issues.
I feel you, though it does seem to come and go. Frustrating as hell, I booked a service appt at a separate location to get a second opinion in 3 weeks’ time.

Reactions: Turboz3
I feel you, though it does seem to come and go. Frustrating as hell, I booked a service appt at a separate location to get a second opinion in 3 weeks’ time.
Good luck.
They told me to get them real hot to the point I can smell them. Haven’t tried that yet as what’s the point if it comes back within 100 miles drive. I might eventually try aftermarket pads and maybe rotors. SC told me it’s an EV thing as the breaks aren’t used a lot. If that’s the case then why is it not on other EVs. Maybe I should tell the cop Tesla told me to drive very aggressive to heat up the breaks Lol. I do get on them hard at times as it is a plaid but want to do that for fun and not break maintenance. Plus the sound is nothing like I have heard befor on any vehicle and I have had a lot. It sounds more like a suspension problem.

Its back again for me after 2 weeks. The fact that burnishing the brakes temporarily resolves the issue through suggests it must be driven by the brakes. If it is a suspension or any other matter, burnishing the brakes shouldn't help.

@gjankulovski do you have the 21" arachnids or the 19" tempest? I'm wondering if it is something to do with the 21" arachnids and the size/grip of the tires relative to the brakes, giving more rebound when fully stopped. I never had the noise when I had my 19" winter tires mounted.
I have 21” wheels. I’ve heard that Marty be the cause but nobody has ever given an explanation as to why.

I have the same issue as well. Heard it for the first time yesterday. Car has service appointment on 7/7 to hopefully fix remaining 6/25/21 delivery issues. Will try diagnostics suggested here. Refresh Model S LR, with 21” Arachnids. Love the car….

I have the same issue as well. Heard it for the first time yesterday. Car has service appointment on 7/7 to hopefully fix remaining 6/25/21 delivery issues. Will try diagnostics suggested here. Refresh Model S LR, with 21” Arachnids. Love the car….
Best of luck and keep us posted if you find a fix.

At this point, I feel that heating up the brakes is the only temp fix. On my drives now, it takes one or two harder brakes and the sound goes away for the rest of the drive.

Same issue, same story from Charlotte SC. They burnished the brakes and it came back the next day. Hitting the brakes hard or switching from standard to low regen temporarily resolves the squeak but it just comes back.

Crazy thing is this is my second Model S and never had an issue in 90K miles. My driving style/habits haven’t changed. The only difference is the squeak started as soon as I switched from 19” wheels to 21” Turbines.

Maybe it’s the larger gaps between the spokes makes it much easier to get wet and ends up with a thin layer of rust, causing the squeak? Thoughts?

Wondering if anyone has any idea why there would be a squeaking noise coming from what seems to be the brakes, AFTER the car fully stops. It’s as if the noise is coming from the momentum rebound or suspension after the car stops.

No squeak when stopping via regen, only when I press the brakes; harder the stop, louder the sound. Also no squeaks while the car is coming to a stop when braking.

Wonder if it’s normal or something I need to take to service to look at.
Let me guess: 21“ wheels?

Thanks!
Ha!
This problem existed with the Turbine wheels and the Twin turbine, however not with forged wheels like Arachnid or TheNewAero 21“.
With the new 2022 wheel it seemed to be back.
The reason is somehow that these cast wheels act like a tuning fork resonating and amplifying the brake pad micro vibrations. Especially with this kind of pad material.
Once I switched to forged wheels this was gone. I just thought they were aware of this after gen.1.
Typical Tesla.

• Informative
yes. It seems what started with the cast 21" Turbines 2012-2019, history repeated with the 2022" cast Arachnids.
The FORGED 21" Arachnid from the referral program did not show this behaviour due to different material characteristics. Same for 21" TheNewAero forged wheels, and I guess other forged 21" types.

Read above. You have to either switch brake pads and have apply put special rubber grease/Vibration damper on the back of those to isolate them from the brake caliper.
The better solution would be to switch to 21“ forged wheels. The stiffer Alu doesn’t amplify the vibrations.

Read above. You have to either switch brake pads and have apply put special rubber grease/Vibration damper on the back of those to isolate them from the brake caliper.
The better solution would be to switch to 21“ forged wheels. The stiffer Alu doesn’t amplify the vibrations.

Where do you get the new 21" forged wheels in Europe (UK?) I think I would probably have to go for the special rubber grease/vibration damper however I've asked other 21" owners with the same turbines and they do not have that issue!

Where can I get some noise dampening brake pads (or there are not such thing?)

Others say just a brake furnishing