Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS LR Refresh - Touchscreen - Buzzing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings TMC forums and fellow S owners,

Does anyone know what this grill is good for, underneath the touchscreen, right above the wireless chargers?
All mine seems to do is emit an electronic buzzing noise at 50dB and about 370 Hz.
Thinking of sealing it up permanently.

Yours truly,
yo_chill

photo_2022-01-14_00-49-40.jpg

Greetings TMC forums and fellow S owners,

Does anyone know what this grill is good for, underneath the touchscreen, right above the wireless chargers?
All mine seems to do is emit an electronic buzzing noise at 50dB and about 370 Hz.
Thinking of sealing it up permanently.

Yours truly,
yo_chill

View attachment 755496
I think someone reported the same in either this thread 2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread or Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist. I would not cover it up, as it is likely pulling air to cool the display or whatever is behind it. If it becomes more annoyance than anything, get service to look at it.

Aha! finally found a thread with the same issue.

Model Y LR, 2022 UK.
I can hear a permanent buzzing noise from below the MCU - sounds like speaker interference - it's at 370Hz frequency - see the video for samples.

It's loud enough that it prevents me from falling asleep when car camping (as well as a permanent fan noise, both remain even when the car is powered off). And I can even hear the 370Hz buzz when pulled up at traffic lights :(

It's currently in service with Tesla for these noise issues, and I've made this video to help them diagnose.

If anyone has any further input, it would be greatly appreciated!

I have this on my 22 Model X. I tried posting about it but still waiting for approval. Anyways, it’s the temperature sensor fan you are hearing. It is attached to the service panel right behind the vent. If you disconnect the fan, the noise goes away. For those with an account, here’s the link to the service manual. Instrument Panel Removal

I was originally dismissed by service and told this noise was normal, however I got several replies on Reddit saying they don’t hear the buzz/hum at all so I started researching. Heck, you can even find videos from other OEMs with a nearly identical buzz/hum in the cabin and it’s all related to the temperature sensor fan.

I’m going to open another service visit soon to have them replace the defective fan (among other things). Good luck!

Reactions: paulchou
while late to the party, this part is the cover for the interior temperature sensor. Just learned it on watching one of the random munro videos. They didn't like how the material was not connected directly to the substrate...

There is a fan in there to pull air across the sensor. This may be making noise. Might want to check to make sure it is mounted properly, or possibly remount using a rubber piece to damp the sound.

Reactions: paulchou
while late to the party, this part is the cover for the interior temperature sensor. Just learned it on watching one of the random munro videos. They didn't like how the material was not connected directly to the substrate...

There is a fan in there to pull air across the sensor. This may be making noise. Might want to check to make sure it is mounted properly, or possibly remount using a rubber piece to damp the sound.
Can this piece be easily removed? I’m having a very loud sound coming from there. Almost sounds like the fan is going bad. Made an appt with service but seeing if I can correct myself before taking to them.

I had the same on my 2023 (that is going back to Tesla soon.). I was told that it is normal and related to the power running the display? However, I drove a MX without this noise too. Also the MX did not have the high pitched humming from the motors, and it was the MX plaid.