Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS metallic now no cost option in USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see we have some overnight price changes in the USA where Midnight Silver Metallic joins Pearl White Multi-Coat as a no cost option. Solid Black being $1500, Deep Blue Metallic $1000 and Red Multi-Coat $2000.

I wonder, will start to see those price changes in the UK soon?

I suppose technically I could still change my deep blue LR to the MSM and save £1100 if it comes to the UK but I still prefer the DB. Especially with the white interior.

There’s a local MSM near me and each time I see it (it’s kept scrupulously clean) it takes my breath in the right light.

Not sure that I’m aware of these tax reasons mentioned but surely this is a good thing, no? Happy to be schooled of course.

I doubt it, in a similar way that anyone who had ordered an SR+ before the added £1000 won’t be charged that extra amount as they ordered before it.
Will anyone who’s ordered a silver car yet to be delivered be refunded for it?
probably not automatically. they don't automatically apply price rises either to be fair to them. BUT if they make that option free and don't raise the price there is no reason you cannot contact them and ask for the new price and they will probably do it. That should not affect your place in the queue since you are not physically changing the car.

What has happened in the past is that Tesla will revalue the whole order. If the total order price drops, Tesla have passed on the saving. If the order price has increased, Tesla has absorbed the increase. This is for Tesla changes only and not necessarily the case where price changes outside their control has changed, ie grants. But they have tried.

Note the term, whole order. Within this, there may also be individual item price increases. These will still occur but will be captured in the total order value. So you may see individual item price increases but the total order will be lower or no higher. Looking from the periphery of these price changes, I think there has also been a recent base price increase, so this increase needs to be thrown into the mix when it comes to calculating the whole order price.

This does however affect any customer changes made to the order. This will cause the whole order to be repriced but in this case, Tesla will not honour the whole order parity, so your order price may increase.

tl;dr - historically, no need to do anything. As long as you do not change your order, Tesla will honour the whole order price of your old order in case of a Tesla instigated price rise or give you a lower total order price if prices go down.

Last edited:
I doubt it, in a similar way that anyone who had ordered an SR+ before the added £1000 won’t be charged that extra amount as they ordered before it.
During many price changes before you could either stick with your current price, or have the entire car repriced under the new scheme. So if the car price goes up £1000 but the paint came down £1100 you might save £100 (uk prices haven't changed, so wait and see).

When the free colour changed from black to white in 2019 there was also a price drop for the base car and an increase for Autopilot. People who wanted white, or swapped ot white made a saving, but it was still about £100 more for my Black LR with FSD so I was one of the very few that bought using the prices from when I ordered in May 1st 2019.

Why would Solid Black be more expensive than a metallic paint?

Then again, why is a pearl (white) zero cost?

Tesla logic.
Apparently Elons kids told him “white should be the free colour” when they were shown the M3.
Sounds about right in “Elon world”…..

I find the white looks brilliant when it’s dark. Better than in daylight.

Tesla logic.
Because they have a lot of paint related complaints and White is the most forgiving colour ( and silver not so bad either one assumes) Black shows up defects really badly so even though it no doubt the multi coat costs a bit more to apply than flat black overall it works out much cheaper since there are less complaints and much less re-work.

Tesla logic.
I doubt the actual paint makes much difference at volume, certainly not £1000. the only purpose is to allow Tesla to plan manufacturing and deliver with less hassle.
Black shows up defects really badly
Agreed for people getting upset about tiny swirl marks on collection, but once people are over that stage it's perfectly hard wearing. White doesn't show marks, largely because they are constantly covered with mud from the cars I see.

Reactions: Durzel