Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS/MX style aftermarket rear chrome trim for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I’ve finally completed the installation of my AO Performance lettering rear appliqué. Car was in the SC for about ten days, and then it took me another week to arrange the time to do the install. Followed the excellent instruction videos by @pete8314, and took about an hour, going slow and methodically. Very happy with the results!

I used 30lb test fishing line for the Tesla logo removal, a hair dryer, goo gone, and a plastic razor blade. My logo came off clean, with no scratches or residue.

The carrier paper and transfer tape for my Tesla lettering was crooked, so I couldn’t use the carrier to align the lettering with the trunk lid rim. Had to use some masking tape, a ruler, and a pen, to create some guides, to ensure proper alignment. Not a huge deal, but I let Pete know about this, so he can do quality control with his manufacturer. The shape of the letter S was also a little distorted, but Pete advised that because the lettering is flexible, I can adjust that before pressing it down, which I did, with good result. Have to say, AO is amazingly responsive to its customers!

Anyway, without further ado, here she is. Hard to take photos without getting a ton of reflections. I’ll probably try again later, with different lighting, and a nicer background than my garage. ;)

CC3CC370-FC87-4D1D-A6C9-D303B1DCC65B.jpeg

F07AC85C-459F-460C-8254-840E479BCD36.jpeg

039EAD3C-58C4-4567-9329-B6A18C28FCF2.jpeg

Reactions: Cintoman and Cowby
Well, I’ve finally completed the installation of my AO Performance lettering rear appliqué. Car was in the SC for about ten days, and then it took me another week to arrange the time to do the install. Followed the excellent instruction videos by @pete8314, and took about an hour, going slow and methodically. Very happy with the results!

I used 30lb test fishing line for the Tesla logo removal, a hair dryer, goo gone, and a plastic razor blade. My logo came off clean, with no scratches or residue.

The carrier paper and transfer tape for my Tesla lettering was crooked, so I couldn’t use the carrier to align the lettering with the trunk lid rim. Had to use some masking tape, a ruler, and a pen, to create some guides, to ensure proper alignment. Not a huge deal, but I let Pete know about this, so he can do quality control with his manufacturer. The shape of the letter S was also a little distorted, but Pete advised that because the lettering is flexible, I can adjust that before pressing it down, which I did, with good result. Have to say, AO is amazingly responsive to its customers!

Anyway, without further ado, here she is. Hard to take photos without getting a ton of reflections. I’ll probably try again later, with different lighting, and a nicer background than my garage. ;)

Looks great @fseir ! I see in the reflection that you made good use of the hairdryer ;-)

You're right, for any other TMC'ers reading this, the carrier sheet (the paper the letters are stuck to) is hand cut, and it some cases isn't perfectly straight compared to the letters. All it needs is a quick eyeball before sticking the letters to make sure it's all lined up. We also (finally) have the matte-black option in stock, no photos yet, that might be a job for later.

Reactions: Cowby
Looks great @fseir ! I see in the reflection that you made good use of the hairdryer ;-)

You're right, for any other TMC'ers reading this, the carrier sheet (the paper the letters are stuck to) is hand cut, and it some cases isn't perfectly straight compared to the letters. All it needs is a quick eyeball before sticking the letters to make sure it's all lined up. We also (finally) have the matte-black option in stock, no photos yet, that might be a job for later.

Pete, do you have any other model 3 pics with this logo? I love it.

EDIT: is franz white or silver lettering on his red model 3?
Franz’s car appears to have flat (non-raised) off-white lettering, in a slightly smaller font size.

pete8314 posted a zoomed-in image one page back, and I agree that his looks like it’s under the clear coat.

MS/MX style aftermarket rear chrome trim for Model 3

Not sure a vinyl appliqué will ever look as OEM as something embedded in the clear coat, so I really like the raised metal look of the AO lettering.

I can't recommend the Evannex Model 3 trunk trim. I cleaned the paint with alcohol / water as instructed. Applied in the shade in dry 72 deg weather. The alignment was perfect as I had made some "guides" from painters tape to get the recommended distance from the trunk bottom edge. After alignment, pressed it down flat several times by running a damp cloth back & forth. Let it sit in the shade for 2 hours, then drove 1 hour in the sun. Came home and noticed the trim had buckled and pulled about 1/4" away from the paint in a 2 inch long segment. Rather than just pressing it back down, I assumed it would be better to slowly peel pack from one end and work it back down while moving toward the left side. Well, after peeling it back, the adhesive bunched up in several places and no way was going to lay flat again. The only good thing is I was able to remove the trim slowly by hand and clean up without a trace using alcohol / water again. $120 down the drain.

I'll just have to wait to see if someone offers a true metal trim piece rather than a soft, flexible plastic stick-on.

I can't recommend the Evannex Model 3 trunk trim. I cleaned the paint with alcohol / water as instructed. Applied in the shade in dry 72 deg weather. The alignment was perfect as I had made some "guides" from painters tape to get the recommended distance from the trunk bottom edge. After alignment, pressed it down flat several times by running a damp cloth back & forth. Let it sit in the shade for 2 hours, then drove 1 hour in the sun. Came home and noticed the trim had buckled and pulled about 1/4" away from the paint in a 2 inch long segment. Rather than just pressing it back down, I assumed it would be better to slowly peel pack from one end and work it back down while moving toward the left side. Well, after peeling it back, the adhesive bunched up in several places and no way was going to lay flat again. The only good thing is I was able to remove the trim slowly by hand and clean up without a trace using alcohol / water again. $120 down the drain.

I'll just have to wait to see if someone offers a true metal trim piece rather than a soft, flexible plastic stick-on.

Dang. Sorry for your wasted money. Appreciate the review though. Saves many of us from going through the same thing.

Reactions: Cowby

Woah, sorry to hear this. Does EVannex provide a warranty?

No - It states that there are no returns after peeling off the adhesive protective tape. I'm not sure I would have left it on anyway as the bottom of the Tesla "T" is only 4mm above this trim. It doesn't really look right. Now if someone comes out with a nice metal trim with "Tesla" embossed, I would remove the "T". On the Evannex trim the word Tesla is not embossed, it's printed and sets below the clear, soft domed plastic. Standing back 3 feet, I could barely make out the word "Tesla"