Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS OEM All Glass Roof Rack on Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did and they came back 2 weeks later and said to contact service center. I went to service center and they had no clue that the roof rack existed. They were of no help.
I had the same experience. After weeks of back and forth a local service center got more info from HQ. The retrofit involves replacing the glass roof with newer components. The only visual difference is that the newer glass is narrower. The quote I was given for the install was $265.58 and the car would need to sit for 2-3 days for the new glass to cure.

I had the same experience. After weeks of back and forth a local service center got more info from HQ. The retrofit involves replacing the glass roof with newer components. The only visual difference is that the newer glass is narrower. The quote I was given for the install was $265.58 and the car would need to sit for 2-3 days for the new glass to cure.

Wow that's insane new glass to install a roof rack. I guess we will wait for someone to be the guinea pig.

Were you able to get it installed?
Sadly, no. There have been many problems.

I arrived at the service center at my scheduled appointment time and told the person who checked me in what service I was there for. They seemed confused and didn’t know what I was talking about. I was used to this, because I’ve gone through it many times trying to get the retrofit appointment scheduled in the first place. After 5-10 minutes of the person clicking around on the computer, they finally tell me that they didn’t order the parts yet. So - they can’t do the retrofit install.

To make it worse, they then told me that the quote I was given was incorrect. The total price would end up being somewhere around $1,215. Around $1,000 more than I was quoted. They didn’t know the exact amount because Tesla service doesn’t install the glass roof, they have a glass vendor do it.

So, I was told I would receive a call at the end of the day with info on the price and when the parts would be arriving so they could schedule a new appointment. But, I received no call.

I emailed them the following day, no reply.

2 days later I get an email that says the parts “should” be in at the beginning of this week and they would contact me again to schedule an appointment. No updated info on price.

I have not heard from anyone since.

Separately, the actual glass roof rack that I ordered from the Tesla online store (and was getting the retrofit for) never arrived. Yesterday, I received an email saying that the order had been cancelled by Tesla. There was no reason or explanation of any kind given.

I purchased a late 2018 Model S with the glass roof in March of 2019 with the promise I would get the retrofit for free. I also purchased and received the roof rack at that time. We already owned a 2014, and decided to put our money down on a new S at a time when Tesla needed a bit of wind in its sails, as a gesture of confidence in the future of this important company.

Over the last 8 months(!!!), despite a lot of difficult back and forth, futile Service Centre visits, calls, unanswered emails, I have still not had my retrofit done.

Four small parts worth about 5 dollars, specifically:
1490009-00-A - ASY FIXED GLASS ROOF RACK MOUNT BLOCK - QTY [4]
are not being made available by Tesla to make the retrofit possible.

This easily solved issue is causing a lot of frustration with what is otherwise a very fine car. We are a family of 5 skiers and need the roof rack for our ski box. We were promised this retrofit and would simply have purchased a later build had we known that Tesla would not honor its promise on this issue.

If anybody has had success in getting the retrofit done we would very much appreciate knowing how!

I purchased a late 2018 Model S with the glass roof in March of 2019 with the promise I would get the retrofit for free. I also purchased and received the roof rack at that time. We already owned a 2014, and decided to put our money down on a new S at a time when Tesla needed a bit of wind in its sails, as a gesture of confidence in the future of this important company.

Over the last 8 months(!!!), despite a lot of difficult back and forth, futile Service Centre visits, calls, unanswered emails, I have still not had my retrofit done.

This easily solved issue is causing a lot of frustration with what is otherwise a very fine car. We are a family of 5 skiers and need the roof rack for our ski box. We were promised this retrofit and would simply have purchased a later build had we known that Tesla would not honor its promise on this issue.

If anybody has had success in getting the retrofit done we would very much appreciate knowing how!

I feel your pain when this first was announced I couldn't get any answers and gave up. Tommorow I will swing by the parts dept. and see what the guys say. Will report back....

Are you sure those are the only parts needed? The service center in Chicago told me the entire glass roof would be replaced with a piece that is narrower. I'm on month 8 of "waiting for parts" to have my retrofit completed. I basically don't believe it's ever going to happen now.

Got an appt with our service center to have this retrofit done. Hopefully they have the parts on time. We were quoted $1132 plus tax. This is in addition to the $550 for the rack itself, of course. They did not give me any details about what all the retrofit involved. I'm not super keen on having the top glass replaced. I could see that leading to problems down the road if it wasn't done correctly (leaks, for example).

Got an appt with our service center to have this retrofit done. Hopefully they have the parts on time. We were quoted $1132 plus tax. This is in addition to the $550 for the rack itself, of course. They did not give me any details about what all the retrofit involved. I'm not super keen on having the top glass replaced. I could see that leading to problems down the road if it wasn't done correctly (leaks, for example).

Good luck!