Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS on order, trying to figure out my charging arrangements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, why would you spend the extra money for an S85D (vs S85) in TX? There isn't much performance difference, and I can't see a need for AWD outside of the snow belt (unless you're planning to go offroading...)

First of all, as I mentioned earlier, my HPWC is already on order and shipped out to me (sure wish my MS would be so quick out the door). So I've got that covered.

As far as the 85 vs 85D, well a few things:

1. We do get a few snow/ice events a year here in N Texas. Specifically the last couple of weeks we've had about 3 events, although they are rare this wasn't a major factor in my decision.
2. This is going to be my daily commuter/business use vehicle. I occasionally have to visit a customer's house that might exist down a dirt and/or muddy road. An extra 2 wheels pulling me will give me a little added safety net.
3. From what I've read, the AWD vs RWD does make a difference in driving/handling in all weather.
4. Slightly better range and better acceleration (although both are most likely indiscernible).

So all of that coupled with the fact I originally was thinking about the P85D, it just made sense!