Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS onboard trip calculator - how accurate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a daft question but how accurate is the sat nav when calculating a road trip?
Does it go off the previous w/mile my actual car has achieved?
I’m getting quite a discrepancy between ABRP and the cars own nav when I try and play it safe and add extra passengers, slight headwind, that sort of thing into the ABRP site.

Not quite sure what exactly your question is but I did a 1500km trip through France and Spain recently and it was spot on regarding time and distance. Especially impressive was the forecast of power/distance remaining when you reach your next supercharger. If it said you'd have 33% when you arrived, you had 33%. That was using mainly autoroutes so no delays etc. It might not be quite so accurate if you are taking town/city routes.

Probably a daft question but how accurate is the sat nav when calculating a road trip?
I’m getting quite a discrepancy between ABRP and the cars own nav when I try and play it safe and add extra passengers, slight headwind, that sort of thing into the ABRP site.

It's all a piece of string. Air temp. Traffic. Tyre inflation/wear. Your right foot.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Ok that’s all really helpful, to rephrase it a bit better, my car is new to me, haven't tried supercharging yet, no idea how much it's been supercharged in it's 17,000 miles since 2018 build, so does the car nav work out trips based on its own battery condition and charging speed for this exact battery and it's specific condition, or just do a best guess?
I'm assuming battery is in good nick, because the car nav seems to consistently suggest shorter charging times and therefore quicker long distance trips than ABRP calculates.

I use ABRP for planning. Usually starting a week or so before departure and trying to figure out he best route for me, stops etc. I refine the weather/road conditions/weight etc closer to the time, then the night before send to the car. Now the first stop/destination is set in the car ready for departure.
If you use the trip function just after you leave you'll see what the car reckons will be your destination charge. Initially this is based on how you've driven the car in the previous xxx days and the associated weather you've driven in. But as you drive, you will find that the destination % will change according to your present driving and the current weather conditions, temperature etc.
I've found that to be that best way of driving, If you're cruising happily at 70 and you hit heavy rain, you will notice the destination % falling, If you then reduce your speed to 60 say you will notice it stop falling or fall not as quickly. If I'm on long trips 250 miles or more I find this a great way of ensuring I get there with 5% or less and maximising the driving and speed without running out of juce. I have left the house with -7% on a cold morning and got to my destination with 3%, with the temperature haven risen to 15C.
I hope this helps.

I have a new car, and there was quite a discrepancy between predicted and actual charge.. varied both ways.

Anyone know how long it takes to "learn" my driving habits (I don't even know them myself yet.. never had a car with this many beans before!) and get more accurate results?

It doesn't learn your driving style. Battery range uses a fixed range of the vehicle vs amount of charge left.

The energy graphs do take the previous x miles into account and for trip, it knows the terrain profile too. But things like changing driving style or HVAC settings etc will never be predicted.

Last edited:
My experience:
ABRP is pretty accurate (I have a 2016 MS70), and especially useful for checking the effect of temperature, extra passengers, headwinds etc. - combined with Google for typical traffic conditions this is the best bet for crystal ball gazing.
The on-board Nav is also extremely accurate but doesn't have the benefit of knowing what the driving conditions will be like before you set off if it's a trip in the future, in that case it also doesn't know what SOC you plan to leave with etc.. It does seem to vary seasonally so my current theory is:
- Nav algorithm doesn't take account of previous driving style (evidence: if I plan a long trip after weeks of short commutes with high Wh/mi consumption it doesn't seem to change its predictions);
- Nav algorithm does take account of prevailing traffic conditions and ambient temperature (evidence: predicted % at arrival / range for long trips changes over the seasons, e.g. more power use predicted in the winter, Nav will re-route for heavy traffic);
- Nav algorithm doesn't take account of reduced charging rate - my peak Supercharging speed is somewhat lower than when new and although this is controlled by the car systems it isn't fed back to the Nav as far as I can see. Evidence: a predicted 30 minute Supercharger stop might take 40-45 minutes for example. Predicted charging time seems to relate to when the car was new. It also depends on sharing with other cars so it's not the end of the world but the time can add up on multi-stop trips.
My car has ~95% of original battery capacity so the overall range loss (~10 miles) isn't really an issue for trip planning.

What the on-board Nav is excellent at doing, though, is adjusting its predictions as you're driving. So if there's a risk you won't have enough charge to reach your destination you'll be warned early on, and really all you need to do is moderate your speed (it tells you to stay below 65/60/50 etc. depending how much power it thinks you need to conserve).

In summary if the Nav says you can make it, you'll be fine, but it might take a bit longer if you have to conserve energy or charging stops take a bit longer. If you want to play with variables for future trip planning/multi-stop journeys I'd use ABRP which is more accurate in terms of energy use and charging times (although it can be a bit optimistic for the point-point travel times).

Reactions: eight
Thanks all.
Cezdoc and VanillaAir - that's exactly what I was after.
Road trip planned with a couple of 90%-10% stretches between remote superchargers making me a bit nervous.
Playing with ABRP it seems pessimistic compared to just bunging the destination into the Tesla nav, but I am trying to add in passenger weight, weather, battery age etc on ABRP, worst case scenarios which in the real world probably won't all happen.
If the car will actively tell me to ease off due to live factors affecting the real-world range there and then, or even re-route me, that's exactly what I was hoping for.
I'm impressed with Tesla. There. I said it.

Reactions: cezdoc and MrBadger
It doesn't learn your driving style. Battery range uses a fixed range of the vehicle vs amount of charge left.

The energy graphs do take the previous x miles into account and for trip, it knows the terrain profile too. But things like changing driving style or HVAC settings etc will never be predicted.

Appologies for butting in but what is ABRP, am I missing something I should know about.

Thanks I'll investigate, id not seen the reference before today.

There tends to be a lot of "assumed knowledge" amongst well established forum members. It's helpful when you or other more recent owners point this out! A Better Route Planner is also something that can be played with by prospective EV owners to compare real life consumption scenarios. You can also compare different models and brands very easily for a given long trip (when you do this be aware that it may lead to a bit of gloating when Tesla owners compare their long trip charging times against almost any other EV ... that's even assuming that the non Tesla EVs find that the planned charger actually works!)

Nav algorithm does take account of prevailing traffic conditions and ambient temperature

I believe it assumes for energy calculation purposes you will be driving at whatever speed it has used for the arrival time calculation (ie. the typical time by other drivers over each route segment as retrieved from Inrix (assuming it's still Inrix they use for the live traffic data)).

In my experience (as others have said above), that makes it pretty accurate for the trip you are doing right now.

I find the 'route via superchargers' function to be useless so I have it turned off. Maybe it will get more useful when there's a greater density of superchargers, but it's impossible for it to do a really useful job as it doesn't have many of the pieces of info needed to make the right choice: of available superchargers, which ones have refreshment options best suiting my taste? How much charge do I want to arrive with at the destination? Are there any non-superchargers along the route that I might be willing to use either as first choice or as a fall-back to allow cutting it fine on arrival? Does my mood require shortest possible journey time, shortest possible driving time etc? How is the driver's caffeine level? etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: cezdoc