TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MS P85 dashboard buzz/rattle

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mespindler, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mespindler

mespindler Member

Anyone else have a buzz/rattle in their dash board? It is at the top of the curve portion of the dash just above the instrument display. You can make it stop by pressing lightly on the top edge of the same area.
    Mark - Union City, CA

2. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

...this goes along with your other thread about the squealing fans. See if that Buzz does away when you turn off the HVAC? In my case I would get a pretty profound buzzing in and out of the car when I drive my car in the morning. Power down the HVAC then power back up, and the noise is gone. The same fan repair I mentioned on the other thread takes care of this.
    Fan squeaking when running AC/heater

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I had this as well. In my case it sounded like plastic vibrating. Service center took care of it.

4. redox

redox Member

Yes I have that one too. It triggers mostly when driving on "rough" (noisy) roads.

-- Greg

5. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Yep - had this on my new Model S. On mine it was the plastic trim piece on the underside of the hood over the dash display. This piece is just clipped on and pops off rather easily. Ranger popped it off and put felt tape on the underside then put it back on - rattle gone.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

When was yours delivered? I have had no buzzes or rattles at all. surprisingly enough.

7. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

12/26 - I was one of the original "black hole" cars that was built in November.

8. Firewired

Firewired Member

Mine gets the buzz / rattle as well. Sounds like it is coming from somewhere near upper left area of dash. Didn't know if was worth mentioning.

9. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Yes mine had a rattle that emanated from trim piece just fight of the dash and the top left corner of the screen center screen. My tech fixed by taking off the trim pieces and adding in some felt tape

10. redox

redox Member

Same here. Another black hole...

11. m3ltw

m3ltw New Member

I had a really loud rattle, like a loose piece of plastic under the center of the dash. They replaced the dash, having discovered two (or more) broken plastic clips.

12. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Those clips are easy to break, and the entire dash is put together with them, as I saw when I took it apart.... The plastic trim piece under the binnacle is the only place where the clips are all plastic and not metal on plastic, which explains why they are relatively loose. The metal ones are very tight.