TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MS P85 Tesla Door Wont open DEC 18 2013

Discussion in 'Model S' started by montgom626, Dec 18, 2013.

1. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

http://youtu.be/vGHhky95eew

My Model S P85 is parked in a dry, 40 F garage. Door handle presented itself as designed, yet as you can see from the video, I could not open the drivers door.

I sent the video to the local service center. Anyone seen this? Any ideas????

2. wts13

wts13 Member

Looks like the solenoid isn't firing when you pull the handle

Certainly unusual, never seen that before. Hopefully they can get it fixed up for you quickly!

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Will any of the other doors open? Just trying to localize the issue. Probably a microswitch in the handle.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

There's been a couple of similar threads. Try: rebooting both computers, locking and unlocking the car with the fob, and pulling the door fuses in the frunk. Each of those have worked for somebody. What worked for a couple of us was going to settings, turn off auto-present and lock on walkaway. Get out and lock the car. Unlock, get back in, put the settings back.

But that's all just workarounds. Most handles are fine these days (not sure what VIN you have), but the service centers seem to think that if it happens once, it's going to happen again - at least older handles like mine (VIN 112). So they'll replace it. Mine is being replaced now.

5. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

its an electronic issue... outdoor handles engage an electronic opening mechanism, unlike levered handles that are mechanical. I would call Tesla immediately. Should be a fairly easy fix.

6. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

From the looks of your video, the handle did not present. If it had, it would not be pulling itself back into the door.

The switch used to activate the door latch is a hall-effect switch inside the handle unit. These switches operate on a proximity principle, using a sensor and a magnet. In the earlier generation of handles (pre-summer 2013), the magnet and sensor are located very close to one another while in the rest position. When you pull on the handle, the magnet moves the last 2mm toward the sensor. This tight tolerance has led to reliability issues, so Tesla redesigned the handle mechanism so the magnet travels further when you pull on the handle. These later handles actually pull out about 1/4-inch when you pull on them.

7. roblab

roblab Active Member

Obviously you were driving like a maniac and Tesla firmware did an automatic lockout smack down. There is no other way to control new drivers but this. It will reset after 30 days or $300 and you have completed your 30 hours of public service.

I don't know why Tesla doesn't let people know the consequences.

8. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Awesome!

9. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Shhh, that was me blasting past his house (literally) tehe

10. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

So an update on Dec18th was pushed to my car and killed my rear driver side door handle. Engineering says the handle needs to be replaced. Luckily they are in the process of opening up the new service center just down the street from my house.

11. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Huh? Where? When? Address?

12. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

Proposed site is near the Kenwood Towne Centre. They have a service manager hired, but not sure on exact location of the facility.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Mine did this back in July 2013. The door would open from the inside. I had all handles replaced/upgraded from the V1 they had (Signature vehicle).

14. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I pulled fuses, reset the screens, prayed to the flying spaghetti monster, and nothing did the trick. I made a service appointment and that same day the handle started working again.

It has not failed again since that two days of having to use the FOB to roll down the windows and let myself in using the interior handles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

15. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

funny, on 12/22 my passenger side door handles decided to stop extending.. on 12/23 they were working fine. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, it was kinda embarrassing.

16. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Okay, it won't happen again! :)

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

In that video, the handle is actually fully retracted. It's spring loaded so you're just pulling it back out again. You can't hit the microswitch in that condition because it is retracted also.

The handle should normally sit in the 80% open position, and pulling it to 100% will hit the microswitch and cause the door to open.

18. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I am not sure what point you are making.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I understand what Doug is saying, because the same thing happens to me from time to time. The handle extends, but somehow does not extend properly and when you pull on it nothing happens exactly like in the video. If you release the handle, it will rapidly snap back in to the door. In my case, if I lock/unlock the car with the fob, it will generally extend "properly" the next time and work as designed.

20. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Tesla has not yet addressed the door not opening on Dec 18, 2013. They tell me next week.
    Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I had that experience in Chicago last June. The delay in getting into my Model S (door would not open) resulted in a hooligan assaulting me. I even have a picture of the fellow who assaulted me. Filed a report with the Chicago Police. The Chicago PD have done nothing (expected). Until the door handle works as designed, I am not heading back to Chicago.