Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS P85 Tesla Door Wont open DEC 18 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's been a couple of similar threads. Try: rebooting both computers, locking and unlocking the car with the fob, and pulling the door fuses in the frunk. Each of those have worked for somebody. What worked for a couple of us was going to settings, turn off auto-present and lock on walkaway. Get out and lock the car. Unlock, get back in, put the settings back.

But that's all just workarounds. Most handles are fine these days (not sure what VIN you have), but the service centers seem to think that if it happens once, it's going to happen again - at least older handles like mine (VIN 112). So they'll replace it. Mine is being replaced now.

http://youtu.be/vGHhky95eew

My Model S P85 is parked in a dry, 40 F garage. Door handle presented itself as designed, yet as you can see from the video, I could not open the drivers door.

I sent the video to the local service center. Anyone seen this? Any ideas????

From the looks of your video, the handle did not present. If it had, it would not be pulling itself back into the door.

The switch used to activate the door latch is a hall-effect switch inside the handle unit. These switches operate on a proximity principle, using a sensor and a magnet. In the earlier generation of handles (pre-summer 2013), the magnet and sensor are located very close to one another while in the rest position. When you pull on the handle, the magnet moves the last 2mm toward the sensor. This tight tolerance has led to reliability issues, so Tesla redesigned the handle mechanism so the magnet travels further when you pull on the handle. These later handles actually pull out about 1/4-inch when you pull on them.

Obviously you were driving like a maniac and Tesla firmware did an automatic lockout smack down. There is no other way to control new drivers but this. It will reset after 30 days or $300 and you have completed your 30 hours of public service.

I don't know why Tesla doesn't let people know the consequences.

Obviously you were driving like a maniac and Tesla firmware did an automatic lockout smack down. There is no other way to control new drivers but this. It will reset after 30 days or $300 and you have completed your 30 hours of public service.

I don't know why Tesla doesn't let people know the consequences.
Shhh, that was me blasting past his house (literally) tehe

[URL]http://youtu.be/vGHhky95eew

[/URL]
My Model S P85 is parked in a dry, 40 F garage. Door handle presented itself as designed, yet as you can see from the video, I could not open the drivers door.

I sent the video to the local service center. Anyone seen this? Any ideas????

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I pulled fuses, reset the screens, prayed to the flying spaghetti monster, and nothing did the trick. I made a service appointment and that same day the handle started working again.

It has not failed again since that two days of having to use the FOB to roll down the windows and let myself in using the interior handles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

In that video, the handle is actually fully retracted. It's spring loaded so you're just pulling it back out again. You can't hit the microswitch in that condition because it is retracted also.

The handle should normally sit in the 80% open position, and pulling it to 100% will hit the microswitch and cause the door to open.

In that video, the handle is actually fully retracted. It's spring loaded so you're just pulling it back out again. You can't hit the microswitch in that condition because it is retracted also.

The handle should normally sit in the 80% open position, and pulling it to 100% will hit the microswitch and cause the door to open.

I am not sure what point you are making.

I am not sure what point you are making.

I understand what Doug is saying, because the same thing happens to me from time to time. The handle extends, but somehow does not extend properly and when you pull on it nothing happens exactly like in the video. If you release the handle, it will rapidly snap back in to the door. In my case, if I lock/unlock the car with the fob, it will generally extend "properly" the next time and work as designed.

Tesla has not yet addressed the door not opening on Dec 18, 2013. They tell me next week.
Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what Doug is saying, because the same thing happens to me from time to time. The handle extends, but somehow does not extend properly and when you pull on it nothing happens exactly like in the video. If you release the handle, it will rapidly snap back in to the door. In my case, if I lock/unlock the car with the fob, it will generally extend "properly" the next time and work as designed.

I had that experience in Chicago last June. The delay in getting into my Model S (door would not open) resulted in a hooligan assaulting me. I even have a picture of the fellow who assaulted me. Filed a report with the Chicago Police. The Chicago PD have done nothing (expected). Until the door handle works as designed, I am not heading back to Chicago.