Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS P85D wheel spacers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a heat gun and a piece of 2" PVC with a cap on it. It gave a nice smooth, curved, surface to push against the inner fender. Surprisingly, it didn't seem to help much. There's now a slightly concave area, but it still rubs. My next effort is to investigate how to pull that inner fender piece out and modify it on the bench.
It’s very easy to remove. Just the usual plastic pop rivets with center pin. Watch the YouTube vid on headlight replacement if needed.

Where can find some wheel spacers for my Jag?

Jaguar-E-Type-750x384.jpg

First I'll say that I have the motorsport spacers and they make the S look incredible.

The problem: I had a flat tire and the Tesla Road Service tow truck could not get the lug off, so my car was towed to the service center. (blessing in disguise)

They called me the next day and told me that they had to remove my spacers because several of the lugs had been sheared off.

I'm not sure what type of steel is used for the imbedded spacer lugs, but the way that they were sheared off makes me wonder if they are adequate for the higher torque that Tesla requires.

View attachment 380339 View attachment 380340 View attachment 380339 View attachment 380340

Attachments

• IMG_05611.jpg
    IMG_05611.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_05601.jpg
    IMG_05601.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 579
This is an interesting development.

What did Motorsport Tech say when you contacted them (as you surely should have)?

Did you not notice that you had several lug nuts missing? Do you know what spacers were on what wheels (i.e. which wheel positions had the sheared bolts)? Did you torque the lug nuts yourself or did some ham-fisted tire shop mechanic use his impact wrench at 10K ft/lbs to tighten them?

Did Tesla say anything further about using spacers in regards to warranty or coverage? What about your insurance company (if involved)?

My biggest fear has been the failure of the weak metal nuts used on the inside of the spacer (on the OEM bolts) as I can't see them if they were to fail. Maybe my fears were misplaced.

First I'll say that I have the motorsport spacers and they make the S look incredible. The problem: I had a flat tire and the Tesla Road Service tow truck could not get the lug off, so my car was towed to the service center. (blessing in disguise) They called me the next day and told me that they had to remove my spacers because several of the lugs had been sheared off.

I'm not sure what type of steel is used for the imbedded spacer lugs, but the way that they were sheared off makes me wonder if they are adequate for the higher torque that Tesla requires.

View attachment 380339 View attachment 380340 View attachment 380339 View attachment 380340

You really dodged a bullet with the sheared off lugs... I would contact the Motorsports and have a frank discussion.

img_05601-jpg.380342

1. I did call and all they offered was to replace the lugs under warranty. He said that this has not happened before.

2. They were the spacers on the 2 front wheels. Makes sense as the turning forces seem as though they would cause more stress on the fronts.

I had a tire shop install them. I bought a torque wrench to check their work and 129 was the number.

3. The only thing that Tesla said is that when they found the sheared bolts, they removed the other wheels to check them all. That's when they found the 2nd issue. They called to tell me that they removed all of the spacers for my safety. They didn't mention anything regarding my warranty...but did repair the tire.

1. I did call and all they offered was to replace the lugs under warranty. He said that this has not happened before.

2. They were the spacers on the 2 front wheels. Makes sense as the turning forces seem as though they would cause more stress on the fronts. I had a tire shop install them. I bought a torque wrench to check their work and 129 was the number.

3. The only thing that Tesla said is that when they found the sheared bolts, they removed the other wheels to check them all. That's when they found the 2nd issue. They called to tell me that they removed all of the spacers for my safety. They didn't mention anything regarding my warranty...but did repair the tire.

That is not an acceptable answer from the Motorsports Tech.
I would have my attorney send a letter to get their attention to fix a serious safety issue!

So I'm waiting for my car to show up from CPO in Friday. I got a MS 2014 P85+ with air suspension and 21in turbines, so from this post I think I should order 4 20mm spacers Or 2_15mm and 2_20mm

2nd question is, if you set your ride to low, dose it always stay low, even when you park?

If you drive in normal level, can it go to low when you park? Sorry newbie questions

Motorsports tech 20mm all around. Model S Signature 2012. 21x8.5 square/non-staggered. Lug bolts seem to be longer than later year cars and barely fit with 20mm spacers. Sorry pics where taken in evening -
20190309_181126.jpg
20190309_181119.jpg
20190309_181110.jpg
after clay bar and waxing car (if it were in sunshine you could see how previous owner abused the paint). Ignore the tire foam still drying.

Reactions: FlatSix911
2nd question is, if you set your ride to low, dose it always stay low, even when you park?

It doesn't matter. With Spacers and 21's, it will rub in all height settings. It isn't so much the HEIGHT of the car that causes it, but rather the horizontal position of the wheels in the wheel well.

Go stand in a door frame. Extend your arms out to just touch the sides of the frame, and spin around. Ideal fit, right? Ok, now push your arms out an extra half inch (like spacers do) and spin again. You're gunna touch the frame at all heights.

Same is true with the spacers. SO, you might rub different parts of the fender well based on your height setting, but you will always rub.

The question is, are you comfortable with that?

With 20mm spacers and stock non-staggered 21" Turbines, I rub at anything past 1/2 turn of the wheel. The crappy thing about that is that I rub when making sharp turns, at decent speeds. So I might wear down the wheel well material a bit.

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323
NON STAGGERED!! THANK YOU!! Trying to order black ones bc after i refinish the hub it shouldn't surface rust anymore.

Motorsports tech 20mm all around. Model S Signature 2012. 21x8.5 square/non-staggered. Lug bolts seem to be longer than later year cars and barely fit with 20mm spacers. Sorry pics where taken in evening - View attachment 386325 View attachment 386326 View attachment 386329 after clay bar and waxing car (if it were in sunshine you could see how previous owner abused the paint). Ignore the tire foam still drying.

First I'll say that I have the motorsport spacers and they make the S look incredible.

The problem: I had a flat tire and the Tesla Road Service tow truck could not get the lug off, so my car was towed to the service center. (blessing in disguise)

They called me the next day and told me that they had to remove my spacers because several of the lugs had been sheared off.

Anyone else had issues with the lugs getting sheared off? I've had plenty of cars with no issues before but this morning I just walked out to a sheared lug bolt on mine. I'm guessing the higher torque values of the Tesla are going to require some premium adapters. mine were the 20MM. Trying to decide if I should just remove them or find another brand? What's the highest quality ones out there now that aren't ridiculously expensive?

Hey guys hope to get some help. Long story short I purchased after market wheels and put on 19s all around but with 30mm offset. My fault for not checking. Just found out OEM is 40mm. I'm getting rubbing only on reverse and turning. To combat this I figured spacers is the way to go.

Being the offset is 30mm and I like the way I've seen the OEM 21s posted here with 25mm/20mm spacers would that mean I need to get 35mm/30mm because of my 30mm offset?

Hey guys hope to get some help. Long story short I purchased after market wheels and put on 19s all around but with 30mm offset. My fault for not checking. Just found out OEM is 40mm. I'm getting rubbing only on reverse and turning. To combat this I figured spacers is the way to go.

Being the offset is 30mm and I like the way I've seen the OEM 21s posted here with 25mm/20mm spacers would that mean I need to get 35mm/30mm because of my 30mm offset?

my 21" turbines rub on spacers on turning full lock and reversing.