TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MS P85DL value

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mrneef, Apr 25, 2018.

1. mrneef

mrneef Member

Hello all, first off would like to apologize if this is not the right way to make this post.

I am entertaining on pulling the trigger on a used 2014 MS P85DL.

Mileage is around 9k and they are asking $80k

Specs are below. I am wondering is this way overpriced, even with the specs and the milage? I understand I can get a 75D or maybe a 90D for this price, but I dont think I can get all these options with the 'P' and the ludacris option. I would keep the car for a long time as I have speaking with an OA on showroom discounted cars, but I cant justify leasings a car for $1100/mo and giving it back in 3 years knowing I paid about $50k into a car i dont keep.

Any insights on why I should or shouldnt get this p85D

Thanks in advance.

2014 TESLA MODEL S
    condition: like new
    drive: 4wd
    fuel: electric
    odometer: 8600
    paint color: black
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic
    2014 Tesla Model S P85D- Black - Ludicrous MODE!!!

Super Low miles. 8800 miles

Fully loaded. Clean Title. Fully loaded.

1 Owner car. The car is super clean.
    BLACK INTERIOR
    GREY INTERIOR

Options:
    - Ludicrous Mode
    -Ultra High Fidelity Sound
    -Subzero Weather Package
    -Black Alcantara Dashboard
    -LED fog lights
    -Performance Package with Ludicrous mode
    -Grey Next Generation Seats (Front and Back)
    -Piano Black Décor
    -Panoramic Roof
    -Tech Package with Autopilot enabled
    -Black Alcantara Headliner
    -21 Turbine Grey
    -Carbon Fiber Spoiler
    - Air suspension
    - Ambient lighting package

• Like x 1
  2. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

If you want all the goodies from a P-car, including the L in this situation, vs buying a new 75D, I’d say it’s a good deal if you can negotiate a few grand off.
    Is this a private sale? Was an ESA purchased? Are you able to do so still if not?

3. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very good deal as long as there is nothing wrong with the car. Most performance you get get from a Tesla at that price.

4. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

That seems like a good price for the options and performance. I have the exact car ( except for int and ext color) and can tell you that the performance will bring a smile to your lips everyone you stomp on if. I actually thought that these were being sold at a few thousand dollars higher price point on the CPO program just a few weeks ago last time I checked.

5. mrneef

mrneef Member

Thanks all. I am assuming warranty is running to expiration soon if not already. Would it be worth getting an ESA or what should I be looking for when I inspect the car...

6. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

Tesla have released a load of used inventory in the last day or so and one is a P85DL although lower spec for 67500. The listing doesn't mention it but it has the BP01 code which I'm pretty sure is ludicrous

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H20FFP71263 | Tesla

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. mrneef

mrneef Member

Thanks for the link. That one has much more likes and I think I would rather pay an extra 10k for the lower miles and spec Especially if there’s no real difference between a 2014 and 2015

8. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

It does, but they take the miles and it has a Tesla warranty for another 4 years and another 50k miles. The warranty alone is worth maybe 5k and would help you when you came to sell.

9. Litigate88

Litigate88 Member

How can you tell that it has the BP01 code?

• Like x 1
  10. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

if you inspect the page, you will see it in the codes

• Like x 2
  11. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

• Like x 1
  12. mrneef

mrneef Member

So would it make more sense just leasing a MX P100D I can get now for $124k on a 15k/3yr lease for $1300/mo

I just hate knowing at the end of the lease I would have paid close to 45k and give the car back or buy it at $91k

13. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

What is your criteria list? Are you just wanting to get into any Tesla as soon as possible (since you’re bouncing from MS to MX and buy vs lease)? How long are you intending to keep the car?

14. mrneef

mrneef Member

I am looking to get into either an S or and X whichever gives me the best for my money in the current market.

I have thought of just keeping the 2014 MS P85D , but worried about the car/technology brings obsolete.

Leasing is nice because I can get a newer one but looking at the ml eh being thrown away it pushed my more towards buying used.

I like this 2014 MS P85DL because of specs and low mileage, practically brand new but there won’t be any warranty on it.

Very torn here lol

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

IMHO, you really can't go wrong with a P85DL. It is a 2014, but it's a December 2014 car, so the factory warranty is good through December 2018. If it's a private sale, buy the ESA for $4750 for 4 more years.

Since it's an early P85D, it most likely has the Performance Plus suspension from the P85+ (this is an undocumented option that most pre-May 2015 P85Ds had, but not all).

Unless you really need the increased range of a 100kWh battery, the P85DL really is the best bang for the buck. Don't worry too much about the upgraded MCU (touchscreen) in new cars. Telsa just sent an update to older cars which really did increase the performance of the older MCUs and Navigation/maps. And AP1 is just so silky-smooth. I use it every single day.

Can you take this P85DL to Tesla for a pre-purchase inspection? That would reveal any faults it might have.

Good luck!

• Like x 2
  16. mrneef

mrneef Member

Thanks. Just spoke to the seller. He said the battery pack was upgraded b Tesla and he is getting 290ish range with it. Warranty is another 9 months or 41k miles to the 50k mile mark. The battery/drivetrain another 4 year 9 months.

I think this is the one to get. I have him at $77k down from $80k so far.

• Like x 1
  17. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

290?!?!? My 100% SoC is 241. :(
    Besides that, though, having the ability to buy an ESA means I’d personally pull the trigger on this (after more negotiation :)). Good luck.

18. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

@mrneef I traded a 2015 fully loaded P85DL (although not listed) to Tesla for 87k almost a yr ago, just to put it into perspective for you they promptly sold it for $97.5k The car you mention is being sold to you for wholesale, so it's a pretty good price!!

Attached Files:

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

That sounds a little suspect. Is that 'rated' range or 'ideal' range? Is it a 90kWh battery?

If it is in reality a P90DL+, that's the unicorn of all unicorns. If you don't buy it, I will!

(not really, but I would if I was looking).

20. mrneef

mrneef Member

Seller states a 90 battery was installed. I am awaiting documentation. Just saw a bunch of CPO hit the market via the site, so now the trade off is much lower miles vs the high mileage CPO

• Informative x 1