Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

MS Plaid: Max Mobile Charging using a NEMA 14-50?

jebinc

MSM Model S PLAID, cream/FSD; MYP, white on white
Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I see on the Tesla site that the max an old S can get out of a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 is 23mph. Using this same setup, what's the MAX for the Plaid, both in amps and MPH? I searched high and low and couldn't find definitive information on this. I have a Plaid on order and would like to know, for sure, what the correct answer is. Sorry if this has already been discussed before, and thanks for pointing me to a fact-base for this.

Upvote 0

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
The mobile connector that comes with the car is good for 32 amps max. That’s ~7.7kw on a 240v circuit.

If you want the max power available on a 14-50 50 amp circuit, you could buy the Corded Mobile Connector which is good for 40 amps, ~9.6kw on 240v service.

Try not to think in miles per hour. It’s a goofy way to measure things. That said, the Plaid will not be substantially different than any other modern Model S in terms of estimated range miles per hour.

jebinc

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
The mobile connector that comes with the car is good for 32 amps max. That’s ~7.7kw on a 240v circuit.

If you want the max power available on a 14-50 50 amp circuit, you could buy the Corded Mobile Connector which is good for 40 amps, ~9.6kw on 240v service.

Try not to think in miles per hour. It’s a goofy way to measure things. That said, the Plaid will not be substantially different than any other modern Model S in terms of estimated range miles per hour.
Okay, how about in "amps"... Will it consume 48, 30, or less on the Mobile charger plugged into the 50A receptacle? Edit: Using the charger that comes with the car. Is that the 14-50 you linked above?

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
If you insist on using miles per hour, take the 400 mile range and divide it by the ~100kwh battery, which yields 250wh/mi.

7.7kwh / 250wh = ~31 miles per hour. Estimate 95% efficiency and you’re putting 30 rated miles/hour into the battery.

9.6kwh = ~37 miles per hour.

Reactions: jebinc

jebinc

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
If you insist on using miles per hour, take the 400 mile range and divide it by the ~100kwh battery, which yields 250wh/mi.

7.7kwh / 250wh = ~31 miles per hour. Estimate 95% efficiency and you’re putting 30 rated miles/hour into the battery.

9.6kwh = ~37 miles per hour.
I don't (insist on MPH)... I actually hate that measurement, but used it here as that's how Tesla describes the Mobile Charger on it's web page for it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC