Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid: Max Mobile Charging using a NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I see on the Tesla site that the max an old S can get out of a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 is 23mph. Using this same setup, what's the MAX for the Plaid, both in amps and MPH? I searched high and low and couldn't find definitive information on this. I have a Plaid on order and would like to know, for sure, what the correct answer is. Sorry if this has already been discussed before, and thanks for pointing me to a fact-base for this.

The mobile connector that comes with the car is good for 32 amps max. That’s ~7.7kw on a 240v circuit.

If you want the max power available on a 14-50 50 amp circuit, you could buy the Corded Mobile Connector which is good for 40 amps, ~9.6kw on 240v service.

Try not to think in miles per hour. It’s a goofy way to measure things. That said, the Plaid will not be substantially different than any other modern Model S in terms of estimated range miles per hour.

The mobile connector that comes with the car is good for 32 amps max. That’s ~7.7kw on a 240v circuit.

If you want the max power available on a 14-50 50 amp circuit, you could buy the Corded Mobile Connector which is good for 40 amps, ~9.6kw on 240v service.

Try not to think in miles per hour. It’s a goofy way to measure things. That said, the Plaid will not be substantially different than any other modern Model S in terms of estimated range miles per hour.
Okay, how about in "amps"... Will it consume 48, 30, or less on the Mobile charger plugged into the 50A receptacle? Edit: Using the charger that comes with the car. Is that the 14-50 you linked above?

If you insist on using miles per hour, take the 400 mile range and divide it by the ~100kwh battery, which yields 250wh/mi.

7.7kwh / 250wh = ~31 miles per hour. Estimate 95% efficiency and you’re putting 30 rated miles/hour into the battery.

9.6kwh = ~37 miles per hour.

Reactions: jebinc
If you insist on using miles per hour, take the 400 mile range and divide it by the ~100kwh battery, which yields 250wh/mi.

7.7kwh / 250wh = ~31 miles per hour. Estimate 95% efficiency and you’re putting 30 rated miles/hour into the battery.

9.6kwh = ~37 miles per hour.
I don't (insist on MPH)... I actually hate that measurement, but used it here as that's how Tesla describes the Mobile Charger on it's web page for it.