Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid range when using aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

My first post here. I just got delivered an MS Plaid with 21-inch wheels.
I am regretting a bit by not ordering the 19-inch wheels since the range is now is significantly less than the LR version, while it costs 40K more.

But the 19-inch wheels look really bad.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds, perhaps by buying aftermarket 19-inch wheels?
If I do that, will I get the same 398 miles as the default 19-inch wheels?

Not sure why Tesla has to make the 19-inch wheels look so cheap.
If only it looks the same way as the default wheels in Model X.

It’s not the Rim, It’s the TIRE.

It might be hard to find high efficiency tires in that 21” profile though.

I had the same issue on Model 3. 18” ugly efficient wheel and 19” and 20” looked nice but low efficiency (with OEM tires) But I bought Tesla 19” and some great Pirelli tires I think they were called P7+. I got the same range as the ugly 18”s.

Note: If you look on European tire sites they have a standards system for efficiency and noise. Often you can find the same exact tire in USA and Europe.

You can’t have everything for nothing though. A higher efficiency tire will tend to have less grip. More grip, costs fuel.

I had the same issue on Model 3. 18” ugly efficient wheel and 19” and 20” looked nice but low efficiency (with OEM tires) But I bought Tesla 19” and some great Pirelli tires I think they were called P7+. I got the same range as the ugly 18”s.

Note: If you look on European tire sites they have a standards system for efficiency and noise. Often you can find the same exact tire in USA and Europe.

You can’t have everything for nothing though. A higher efficiency tire will tend to have less grip. More grip, costs fuel.
Thanks for the info.

Changing the tire seems like much easier than changing the entire rim and tires!

Do you have any recommended tires that has the same size as the OEM 21 inch but more efficient?

Has anyone else installed more efficient 21 inch tires in the forum?

This is not entirely true. The tire choice certainly does effect range but 100% if the time a smaller wheel diameter will get you more range if you had the exact same tire 21” vs 19”

Here are the factors that effect range in regards to wheels/tires:

- Tire choice (including rolling resistance, weight and width)
- Wheel Diameter (smaller diameter will increase range)
- Wheel Aerodynamics (typically the more of a closed face it has the better the aero)
- Wheel weight (lighter wheels will increase range)

Improving any one of those factors will help increase range. The stock 19s obviously hit all of those points other than you could still choose a better tire more focused on range and lighter wheels but you will begin sacrificing performance with a more narrow and efficient tire so you just have to decided which is more of a priority.

Reactions: EVO X
This is not entirely true. The tire choice certainly does effect range but 100% if the time a smaller wheel diameter will get you more range if you had the exact same tire 21” vs 19”

Here are the factors that effect range in regards to wheels/tires:

- Tire choice (including rolling resistance, weight and width)
- Wheel Diameter (smaller diameter will increase range)
- Wheel Aerodynamics (typically the more of a closed face it has the better the aero)
- Wheel weight (lighter wheels will increase range)

Improving any one of those factors will help increase range. The stock 19s obviously hit all of those points other than you could still choose a better tire more focused on range and lighter wheels but you will begin sacrificing performance with a more narrow and efficient tire so you just have to decided which is more of a priority.
It’s 99% the tire. Lot’s of folks add mudflats, right? Look at how many folks report they say negligible difference. Do you think spokes will make much difference, if mudflaps are negligible?

What you say is try. But it’s tiny compared to the tire.

I went from 18” Aero’s on Model 3 with no mud flaps. To 19” OEM rim, but a much more efficient tire and mud flaps and barely saw any change. I was extremely careful testing too. And was very happy with range.

Granted 21” wheels may have a much narrower selection on efficient tires because that profile will lean towards a sticky performance tire.

If OP wants the range of LR with OEM 19”. Just get any old 19” RIM and get the OEM tires. He’ll be real close. But I bet if he shops around he can do even better than OEM 19” setup with a more efficient tire. Tesla’s all season are not the most efficient tire by a long shot. But they are a reasonable compromise.

You usually lose grip, especially wet grip when you gain in efficiency.

Reactions: EVO X and edx1105
the 21 inch wheels already come with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s Acoustic which are the best tires designed for the Tesla. You can pick up a set of the stock 19" wheels with stock tires which will give you the extra range or buy aftermarket rims in 19. If you take the aero caps off the stock 19 wheels, they are pretty nice. Look at the pix in the rims thread.

Have you seen the 19s with the aero caps removed? It’s not terrible for the “free” option. If your priority is range > appearance I'd just rock these. You can powdercoat them black too if you like that look.

Attachments

• DC0A7307-00C6-4073-9289-977B5B2E48ED.png
    DC0A7307-00C6-4073-9289-977B5B2E48ED.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 259
  • B1E9FF4A-970B-4BCA-8E47-6FC6B06A2362.png
    B1E9FF4A-970B-4BCA-8E47-6FC6B06A2362.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • 5FF0DAEB-2FD7-4532-AD73-564DA432AF85.png
    5FF0DAEB-2FD7-4532-AD73-564DA432AF85.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
It’s 99% the tire. Lot’s of folks add mudflats, right? Look at how many folks report they say negligible difference. Do you think spokes will make much difference, if mudflaps are negligible?

What you say is try. But it’s tiny compared to the tire.

I went from 18” Aero’s on Model 3 with no mud flaps. To 19” OEM rim, but a much more efficient tire and mud flaps and barely saw any change. I was extremely careful testing too. And was very happy with range.

Granted 21” wheels may have a much narrower selection on efficient tires because that profile will lean towards a sticky performance tire.

If OP wants the range of LR with OEM 19”. Just get any old 19” RIM and get the OEM tires. He’ll be real close. But I bet if he shops around he can do even better than OEM 19” setup with a more efficient tire. Tesla’s all season are not the most efficient tire by a long shot. But they are a reasonable compromise.

You usually lose grip, especially wet grip when you gain in efficiency.

Incorrect. The aerodynamics of the wheel and also the weight can have a significant impact on efficiency. Choosing the right tire certainly can have a big impact but overlooking the wheel is ridiculous. There are tons of test/studies that confirm this.

Here is an example of the impact of aerodynamics testing the Model 3 with and without the wheel covers: Our Testing Shows Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers Really Do Improve Efficiency

Here is another test/example of how wheel size/weight effects the efficiency same wheel and tire used in each size: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

So if you have the exact same tire and move from a 19" very aerodynamic and light wheel to a 21" non-aerodynamic heavy wheel you could reasonably loose 8-10% of your range just from the characteristics of the wheel.

Tesla ever used to list out the same cars with different wheel options which would always show a drop in range as you went up in size as well: You'll Lose 23 Miles of Range If You Order Your Tesla Model 3 Performance With the Big 20-Inch Wheels

So it is absolutely true that tire choice has a significant impact but if you are truly looking to maximize range, finding a lighter wheel with good aero characteristics can have a significant impact on it's own as well and should not be overlooked.