Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS scraping garage entrance - need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a 2015 MS 70D (no air suspension) and have found that it scrapes the lip of my garage entrance when pulling straight in and backing out. My driveway is a fairly steep incline to the garage, and the concrete lip is about 1 inch high. The front of the car clears fine, but the lip scrapes right about the middle of the car’s length, on both the left and right sides of the metal underside protecting the battery.

Anyone else have this issue? Easy fix?

Place a rubber strip on the garage floor (preferably an inch thick) to drive on so that you will elevate your car to overcome this lip...

This.

Enter your garage, pull forward slowly until in just starts to scrape, then back up 3-4 inches. You'll need something under either the front or back tires that you can drive over which will lift the car slightly. It will need to be roughly twice as tall as the amount of extra clearance you need. If you put something under both sets of tires you won't need to go as high, but it will be harder to drive over.

If you have access to a table saw, a couple of pieces of a 2x6, maybe a foot long, with the edges beveled would take five minutes and be perfect.

Reactions: pinke2323
Do you have a picture? Would something like this work or is it in the middle of the driveway?

Bridjit Curb Ramps for Driveways and More!
I can add a pic if it helps, but basically dat ass too low so I need to give it a boost. Was hoping someone could suggest a product they’re using...and not “sell your car” or “buy a new house.”

I saw the Bridjit but is that for curbs only? Oddly, the car is fine going into and up the driveway —it’s the garage that’s the problem.

This.

Enter your garage, pull forward slowly until in just starts to scrape, then back up 3-4 inches. You'll need something under either the front or back tires that you can drive over which will lift the car slightly. It will need to be roughly twice as tall as the amount of extra clearance you need. If you put something under both sets of tires you won't need to go as high, but it will be harder to drive over.

If you have access to a table saw, a couple of pieces of a 2x6, maybe a foot long, with the edges beveled would take five minutes and be perfect.
Thanks! So basically, a “speed bump” of sorts that would raise the back of the car before the scrape? I wonder if one of those curb ramps would work (and stay in place).

I was initially picturing an extended ramp, but that might be massive and unsightly.

Place a rubber strip on the garage floor (preferably an inch thick) to drive on so that you will elevate your car to overcome this lip...

This was what I had in mind. Any hardware store should have some kind of rubber mats that can be glued or fixed to the ground. Just make sure it’s thick enough to overcome that entry lip that scratches your car. I believe if this is truly one inch high then same thickness on right place will solve it. Like @flyeyes suggested. Sketch added...
0D333BAD-CFCC-4740-BFB5-2F25EDBC0FAA.png

• Helpful
Reactions: pinke2323 and f205v
This was what I had in mind. Any hardware store should have some kind of rubber mats that can be glued or fixed to the ground. Just make sure it’s thick enough to overcome that entry lip that scratches your car. I believe if this is truly one inch high then same thickness on right place will solve it. Like @flyeyes suggested. Sketch added...
View attachment 474535
Thanks! You both are spot on. I ran a series of tests today (OK, one test) and a 5/8” thick piece of scrap drywall on the garage floor was enough to get me over the lip. Now to find a sturdy piece of rubber about 5/8-1” thick. Thanks for the help!

Side note: The MS only scrapes entering the left garage spot, the side with the power supply and necessary extra length. It clears perfectly on the right side with no help, but doesn’t fit the space. Of course.

Thanks! You both are spot on. I ran a series of tests today (OK, one test) and a 5/8” thick piece of scrap drywall on the garage floor was enough to get me over the lip. Now to find a sturdy piece of rubber about 5/8-1” thick. Thanks for the help!

Side note: The MS only scrapes entering the left garage spot, the side with the power supply and necessary extra length. It clears perfectly on the right side with no help, but doesn’t fit the space. Of course.

They make thick heavy rubber mats for horse stalls.

• Informative
You probably don’t even need a very long piece of the material to be glued or laid down. I’m betting only a foot or two to clear the apex of the scrape point. At least it will minimize the interference it causes being on the floor.
I had to glue down a 2x2 piece of wood about a foot in length at the front tire stop point to keep me from bumping my work bench. Car fits in garage by no kidding about 2 inches.

P.S. wife scares the hell out of me when she pulls it in :(

• Helpful
A "speed bump" is exactly right. It can be in the driveway to lift the back of the car, or in the garage to lift the front. Either way works.

As noted above, you can buy thick rubber mats at a farm supple intended for horse stalls. I have some that I use under free weights in my house that are 3/4" thick which seems to be a standard.

just get a 3/4" 4x8 plywood and lay it on the garage floor. Paint it to make it pretty and yer done. :p
Treated plywood is also what my dad suggested! (Don’t mean that negatively - he’s a smart dude!)

Here’s what I went with (silver): Diamondtrax Tiles - Diamond Plate Interlocking Garage Tile

Each interlocking tile is 15.75” square and 3/4” thick. I got 10, but instead of doing 5x2, I’m going to try an “H” design to get more tire coverage and keep it one piece without wasting tiles in the middle:
#.........#
######
#........#

Once I get them, I’ll post pics and results. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reactions: NoMoGas
The whole garage done in the tiles would look even better! Glad you found something that worked for you. Sure this thread will help someone else out.

My husband went the epoxy route which wouldn't help out in this situation (and he does have SAS) but have to say having a really nice looking garage floor helps create the desire for a better looking garage space too. We added nice cabinets afterwards. Gives you garage pride. The tiles are much less work than the epoxy though if you DIY it.