Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS traded in at local Land Rover dealer; good price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone traded in a grey 2014 P85 with black next gen seats and sunroof. 11K miles. VIN 5YJSA1H11EFP56325

This is a land rover dealership. Putting aside the question of what kind of insanity would motivate a person to give up a Tesla to obtain some POS Land Rover... I have a question for the cognoscenti:

What's this car worth? They apparently paid $74K for it and would let it go for a few thousand more. But without dual motors (and in CO we appreciate AWD in winter) and without the tax incentives ($13,000 in CO), is this even a good deal?

It's in the range that autopilot is possible. Best bet is to look for the radar in the bottom front grill.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 111
They apparently paid $74K for it and would let it go for a few thousand more. But without dual motors (and in CO we appreciate AWD in winter) and without the tax incentives ($13,000 in CO), is this even a good deal?
I wouldn't think that this is a good price at all, in fact IMHO it is almost $15k higher than comparable cars that are on the CPO list

Not to mention that, depending on when it was delivered to the original owner, you could have less that 2 years of warranty left on it and there is no option for an extended Tesla warranty after it's been traded to a dealer, as far as I understand. CPO has the added value of 4 year/50 starting at the time/mileage of the purchase.

You can buy a brand new 70D with next-gen seats and sunroof for $72,700 after the federal tax credit. Colorado has an additional $6,000 incentive, but I'm not sure just how that works. We'd need to know the exact options the P85 has to do a better comparison, but considering just how much new Model S you can get for the money, it doesn't sound like a good deal.

You can buy a brand new 70D with next-gen seats and sunroof for $72,700 after the federal tax credit. Colorado has an additional $6,000 incentive, but I'm not sure just how that works. We'd need to know the exact options the P85 has to do a better comparison, but considering just how much new Model S you can get for the money, it doesn't sound like a good deal.

For the purposes of the modeling I had to assume no audio, no SAS, no rear facing seats, yes SuperCharger access (based on year), no cold weather, and a blank options code list. The model does handle not having the full option code list, but its not quite as accurate.

Odds are AutoPilot hardware are very good in that VIN range... I'm a bit suspect of it having Next Gen seats but I suppose it's possible.

If this was a CPO sale, my price model shows $51,137 with AP and $48,700 with TP. As was mentioned my cgiGuy, that's with the full CPO warranty you would not be getting here.

It's difficult to say what this thing is worth without knowing all the options but, if it has AutoPilot, I'd say it's worth a lot more than $51K.

Last edited:
What's an "options code list"?

I googled for it (along with "Tesla") and the first hit was this thread! :)
Its a list of mostly 4 digit codes that exactly describes a vehicle. It's used during the order process to exactly price, and do display the image of a vehicle you see on the CPO site or when building. I am not sure how you would get if for a private/dealer sale except from the owner or Tesla.

For example for my car its: https://www.teslamotors.com/configu...X025,X027,X028,X031,X037,X040,YF01&bkba_opt=1

With that full list my machine learning model can generate a more accurate quote of vehicle value. www.ev-prices.com

Ok, I have the 2014 P85 with me right now. Here's what I've noticed:

• These are NOT next gen seats (my bad!). They are black leather seats
  • Premium interior (power liftgate)
  • Air Suspension
  • Pano Roof
  • 21" Wheels
  • NO AP hardware
The software looks older to me, perhaps because my Tesla has AP so it has the funky "here are the cars in front of you" display. This car shows the old circular speedometer with green and orange arcs around it.

The car drives DECIDEDLY different from my 85D. The steering wheel is less responsive, the car doesn't drive as smoothly, and when I launched, the right rear wheel spun for about 6" before regaining traction. My 85 has never slipped on dry road launches.

Overall this P85, only 1 year older, feels like a much inferior car. The acceleration feels markedly weaker than my non-P version. I think this just means that Tesla is constantly improving their product, month-by-month. Makes me happy I bought on a lease so I can get a 2018 model S and get blown away yet again. :)

Ok, with the above in mind... NOW how much is it worth? The Land Rover dealership claims the original price was $125,000 and they have an offer for $76,000 as is. You believe?

If this was a CPO sale, my price model shows $51,137 with AP and $48,700 with TP. As was mentioned my cgiGuy, that's with the full CPO warranty you would not be getting here.

Out of curiosity, how does your model work and how do you reconcile its results with the fact that the all P85 listed as CPO's (including 2013, up to 32Kmiles and no AP) range a lot higher ($70,500 to $79,800)? For example, there is a huge discrepancy between your model price of $48,700 and a comparable VIN and miles CPO at $76,900 listed here: 85 kWh Performance Model S P52014 | Tesla Motors. $28,200 difference cannot be accounted for by options since all the options on the aforementioned car didn't cost $28K brand new. Is your model in USD?