Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS traded in at local Land Rover dealer; good price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, how does your model work and how do you reconcile its results with the fact that the all P85 listed as CPO's (including 2013, up to 32Kmiles and no AP) range a lot higher ($70,500 to $79,800)? For example, there is a huge discrepancy between your model price of $48,700 and a comparable VIN and miles CPO at $76,900 listed here: 85 kWh Performance Model S P52014 | Tesla Motors. $28,200 difference cannot be accounted for by options since all the options on the aforementioned car didn't cost $28K brand new. Is your model in USD?

You must have entered a wrong item or omitted something. The model generates a value of $76,647 for that CPO listing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 5.00.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 5.00.36 PM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 5.00.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 5.00.47 PM.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 72
Ok, I have the 2014 P85 with me right now. Here's what I've noticed:

• These are NOT next gen seats (my bad!). They are black leather seats
  • Premium interior (power liftgate)

Not to nit-pick, but on cars that are the vintage of that P85, the power liftgate was a part of the tech package, not the premium package. In April 2015, the tech package was discontinued, and the various options that were part of the tech package were either put into the premium package or made standard.

Being from Boulder you might want to consider a CPO from out of state. I took that route last summer and just received my $6k state rebate from CO for a "used" Tesla. Overall it was a great experience and I would do it again. The rebate is not available for EVs that have already been registered in state.

Thanks. This vehicle already has CO plates and tags, so I would assume the $6,000 rebate would not be available.

But even with it, it seems like the car is quite overpriced.

You must have entered a wrong item or omitted something. The model generates a value of $76,647 for that CPO listing.
You give me too much credit assuming I entered numbers into your model. I took the $48,700 directly from your comment below, since the car OP is asking about has no AP. Maybe you entered a wrong item or something?

If this was a CPO sale, my price model shows $51,137 with AP and $48,700 with TP. As was mentioned my cgiGuy, that's with the full CPO warranty you would not be getting here.

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
The software looks older to me, perhaps because my Tesla has AP so it has the funky "here are the cars in front of you" display. This car shows the old circular speedometer with green and orange arcs around it.

The car drives DECIDEDLY different from my 85D. The steering wheel is less responsive, the car doesn't drive as smoothly, and when I launched, the right rear wheel spun for about 6" before regaining traction. My 85 has never slipped on dry road launches.

Overall this P85, only 1 year older, feels like a much inferior car. The acceleration feels markedly weaker than my non-P version. I think this just means that Tesla is constantly improving their product, month-by-month. Makes me happy I bought on a lease so I can get a 2018 model S and get blown away yet again. :)

Ok, with the above in mind... NOW how much is it worth? The Land Rover dealership claims the original price was $125,000 and they have an offer for $76,000 as is. You believe?

I have a 2013 P85, no AP. These older cars have the same firmware as the newer cars, but we retain the older circular speedo/energy disk in the center. After just completing 500 miles in a 2015 70D loaner, I prefer my older display, particularly on cars where AP is not enabled (such as on this loaner). On dry pavement with the 21" Turbines with good tires, the thing is fast. I've never had it spin a tire on dry pavement, so I'm thinking the one you're looking at may have marginal tread or marginal tires on it, or you were on a marginal surface. Note, the P85 RWD is going to handle much differently under load than an AWD car, this is just physics, not quality.

Here's a 2014 P85 without AP for $70.5k on Tesla's site:
85 kWh Performance Model S P29373 | Tesla Motors

I'd try and find something else. Being in Colorado is a benefit when shopping used. If the car has never been registered in Colorado you still quality for the $6k state rebate. That more than covers the $1k transport fee for a cpo.

This. I just bought a CPO S60 that shipped from NY, even after the max shipping charge of $1500, will net out $4500 from the state tax credit.

I have a 2013 P85, no AP. [...] On dry pavement with the 21" Turbines with good tires, the thing is fast. I've never had it spin a tire on dry pavement, so I'm thinking the one you're looking at may have marginal tread or marginal tires on it, or you were on a marginal surface. Note, the P85 RWD is going to handle much differently under load than an AWD car, this is just physics, not quality.

I think you must be right about the tires. They have plenty of tread, but I took this P85 out today and raced it against my 85D. From a stop, dry conditions, we both just floored the accelerator. She took off perhaps 0.1s ahead of me, but I could hear the tires slip and I passed her immediately. Probably due to the slippage. She told me it felt like it fishtailed a bit too.

I guess we should tell the Land Rover dealership that the car needs to be serviced before it's sold.

Cheers.

Here's a 2014 P85 without AP for $70.5k on Tesla's site:
85 kWh Performance Model S P29373 | Tesla Motors
Nice find. That car is quite comparable to the P85 I have right now. And in fact, that car has 31k miles whereas this P85 has only 13k. Everything else is quite similar.

Although, as others have pointed out, the CPO would have a warranty, which is pretty nice of course.

She told me it felt like it fishtailed a bit too.

Yes, powerful RWD cars will get tail-happy very easily. This is an RWD thing, not a Tesla thing. Stability control will get you so far, and after that, physics takes over. I've learned to give the go pedal some respect with our car. Its even more pronounced with snow tires.

I'm looking forward to spring when I can swap our 21"s with new tires back on! Our P85 will break the snow tires loose on dry pavement.

Is it reasonable that a MS in 2014 configured as I gave above would have been $125,000 when new?
If it had nearly every single option and you're not factoring in the tax credit, I think it's possible.

How did you confirm this car doesn't have AutoPilot? Showing the old speedometer could mean a variety of things but, given the VIN, I think the odds of it having AutoPilot hardware are good.

What differences between the two cause them to be $28K apart in your model? Both P85, same miles, OP described car is actually 4000 VINs newer. Are options in your CPO model worth more than new? Btw, if someone is shelling out for P85, it is incredibly unlikely they would skip the tech package, so basing an appraisal on no tech would be setting unrealistic expectations - have you EVER seen a CPO P85 without a tech package?