Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Wall Connector- Strange issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JW95

Apr 2, 2023
USA
So I just had an electrician install a gen 3 wall charger that i bought new from ebay for my 2018 MS. First few weeks it was fine, then I noticed three blinking lights and it forcing itself to charge with lower amperage (I live in Tennessee, it can get very hot and humid so I didn't think too much of it) Fast forward a few days later and the charger shuts itself off almost immediately after plugging in the car. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem before? I noticed the alert is gives me in the car is that the charger isn't fully working, and i've tried multiple charging locations and stations after this and all of them worked fine. I also reset my breaker a couple times, checked the wifi from the box to see if there was anything that was obviously wrong but to no avail. Anybody have an idea of what's going on or how to fix it? The image attached is the error light I receive from my wall charger.

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 80
Did you go through the "commissioning" of the wall connector to set it up per the setup instructions? You set up the max Amp charge rate, and whether vehicles other than Tesla will be charged using the connector, etc.? The early ones up until mid 2020 had an overheating issue, and Tesla will send you another one. The wall connector has a 4 year warranty on it...not sure about ebay. Page 27 of the manual I include below has what the red lights mean. It also has the commissioning process explained. If you need to contact Tesla, contact the Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST.

Attachments

• Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual.pdf
    859.5 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: ChrisJ
Did you go through the "commissioning" of the wall connector to set it up per the setup instructions? You set up the max Amp charge rate, and whether vehicles other than Tesla will be charged using the connector, etc.? The early ones up until mid 2020 had an overheating issue, and Tesla will send you another one. The wall connector has a 4 year warranty on it...not sure about ebay. Page 27 of the manual I include below has what the red lights mean. It also has the commissioning process explained. If you need to contact Tesla, contact the Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST.
Yes, I did go through the commissioning of the wall connector, it was one of the first things I did. Luckily the ebay seller accepted the return quest, but i'll reach out to Tesla in the morning along with having my electrician come check the wires again tomorrow and see where i'll end up.