Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS60 Supercharging Slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model S 60 that has approximately doubled the amount of time it takes to supercharger on road trips, in the past year. I took it to the service center and they said “vehicle is supercharging as designed”. They refer to a supercharging session, at a 120kW supercharger, at a station that had more empty stalls than full ones. They say “Found vehicle began super charging at 12:30 at 24% and completion at 2:10 at 97%.” My question is; Does this sound right? Should it take a MS60 1 hour and 40 minutes to go from 24% to 97%?

262770D4-6BF7-4D81-8B32-FD7DC4040F44.png
really depends on how unbalanced the cells are but seems pretty slow. How long did it take to get to 80% or 90% and what did the 90 - 97% take?
1 hr and 40 - I'd expect an S85 to get from 0-100% with no other cars sharing charging
It took 1 hour to go from 24% to 80%. I included a graph of 7 actual observations during the charge (included image). How do I balance the battery cells?

97% is a pretty high state-of-charge (SoC), and supercharging does slow down quite a bit at high SoCs. You should observe the kW charge rate when the SoC is low. As I recall, a 60 tops out around 105 kW. But there seem to be lots of situations where supercharging gets throttled, like if the connector gets too hot.

View attachment 327920
It took 1 hour to go from 24% to 80%. I included a graph of 7 actual observations during the charge (included image). How do I balance the battery cells?

the kw output seems very low which would explain the slow charge. are you going into supercharge after a long drive or something? it could be the pack is hot. i would feel like if you called into tesla with time stamps, they should be able to tell you what is going on.

i would avoid 90-100% since that will be the slowest as it tapers off.

If that is the charge rate on the left it is way slow for the middle part
20kW @ 80% seems normal for a 60

check to make sure the louvers on the front bumper on each side in the front of the wheels open. I think that could keep SC rate from peaking but you should still see more than what you are in the first half of your charge

(balance supposedly happens @ SOC >90-92% or so)

the kw output seems very low which would explain the slow charge. are you going into supercharge after a long drive or something? it could be the pack is hot. i would feel like if you called into tesla with time stamps, they should be able to tell you what is going on.

i would avoid 90-100% since that will be the slowest as it tapers off.
Thanks for the reply. On this trip, I was driving about 40 minutes before supercharging. However this is not an isolated event this has been typical for two months. I just talked with the service manager and he is checking into it. He said it will take several days. I’ll let you know how he responds.

If that is the charge rate on the left it is way slow for the middle part
20kW @ 80% seems normal for a 60

check to make sure the louvers on the front bumper on each side in the front of the wheels open. I think that could keep SC rate from peaking but you should still see more than what you are in the first half of your charge

(balance supposedly happens @ SOC >90-92% or so)
Thanks for the help. And yes that is the charge rate at the left. I’ll check the louvers tomorrow.

1:40 to supercharge to 97% seems right. It would take probably 40 minutes to get to 90%, and then it usually takes almost just as long to get from 90-100%.

If it is hot outside (in arizona it always is) then it will charge slower as well.

took this guy over 3+ hours actually.

1:40 to supercharge to 97% seems right. It would take probably 40 minutes to get to 90%, and then it usually takes almost just as long to get from 90-100%.

If it is hot outside (in arizona it always is) then it will charge slower as well.

took this guy over 3+ hours actually.

Thanks for the video. You’re absolutely right about AZ being hot. The charge reported on the chart was in Cali, but still mid 90s that afternoon. It took about 1:15 or 1:20 to get to 90%. If I could figure out how to get that back down to 40 minutes I would be very happy. (In the past the car charged that quickly.) Maybe I need to balance the battery? I’ve only charge it over 90% on rare occasions.

@TMS60B A few notes on this: quoting charging time probably isn't the most helpful, but that graph of the kW power level is exactly the relevant information to figure something out.

Also, saying "at a station that had more empty stalls than full ones" means nothing at all. It may be one of those huge 40 stall locations, and you may be one of only two cars there, but if you and that other car happen to be sharing power on 8A and 8B, then you are going to get a slow rate, even if 38 out of the 40 stalls are empty. This entirely depends on exactly which stall you are on and if someone is in the other one that it's paired with.

So--back to your charging rate. People are talking about how the time seems reasonable or not, but that's a little hand-wavy, without looking at the real issue. You never even got up to 40kW power level through the whole charging session. Either you were paired with another car that was taking most of the power, or there definitely is something not right.

check to make sure the louvers on the front bumper on each side in the front of the wheels open. I think that could keep SC rate from peaking

I'm going to go with this as my guess too. I have heard of this issue a couple of times before. When Supercharging, it's quite a bit of heat in the pack, and it needs to do some active cooling through those radiators. If those doors get stuck, it can't get much air flow and cooling. The car is monitoring the temperature level, and if it sees that it can't get sufficient cooling, it will just keep the charging level low to not build up excess heat that would cause damage.