Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS85D Sudden loss of range and slow SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, my 90% charge was around 237mi and now I’m sitting at 223 according to the app. My supercharging speed has been 10-20kw rising extremely slow, been here for about 15 minutes. Gotten 8miles of charge.

crHLNVb.jpg
pdnhj76.jpg
wmbvX6A.jpg

As the title says, my 90% charge was around 237mi and now I’m sitting at 223 according to the app. My supercharging speed has been 10-20kw rising extremely slow, been here for about 15 minutes. Gotten 8miles of charge.

crHLNVb.jpg
pdnhj76.jpg
wmbvX6A.jpg
Your car has been borked by Tesla. Go read the battery gate/charge gate thread in the Battery forum. Plenty of good info there.

Long story short, kiss your range and SC speeds goodbye until Tesla decides to do the right thing and issue a recall for your “dangerous” battery.

You can also kiss road trips goodbye.

Reactions: InternetDude
Your car has been borked by Tesla. Go read the battery gate/charge gate thread in the Battery forum. Plenty of good info there.

Long story short, kiss your range and SC speeds goodbye until Tesla decides to do the right thing and issue a recall for your “dangerous” battery.

You can also kiss road trips goodbye.

I agree with beetle. There is no way this is simply being slowed down by software. There's something drastically wrong with his battery, or the supercharger cabinet. obviously you should try another connection to make sure that's not the issue. Still, it might be worth a call to see what Tesla says about your battery. Not everyone sees the "may not restart" error when their battery dies on them.

Might be really good news! You might get a new battery. Or at least a rebuilt one.

@Fierofiend asked already, but what was the temperature outside and was your battery cold ?
Cold batteries charges super slow.

In NY (from what it appears this is where the OP is) it's been near 32 F or below recently. Also it's snowing today. Agreed, the car needs to heat up the battery before it will charge at a faster rate such as 70 kW or above when it's very cold. If you have the latest software update and navigate to a Supercharger from your car's screen, it should heat up the battery in preparation for the charge. Alternatively, try preconditioning your car using the app for 20 minutes.

Tesla did reduce the charging rate / maximum capacity slightly to make older versions of the Model S safer. These safety improvements may increase Supercharging time, but I think people should still get maximums of 90 kW or above for these cars. Note that the 2020 latest Model S version supports 250 kW V3 Superchargers.

Last edited:
you may be a recipient of batterygate / chargegate (look it up).. you also could have a busted battery module. Look up Scan My Tesla or TM-Spy.. get yourself the adapters, and get the canbus data on your car and battery - it's real easy... asking Tesla to check if your battery is 'ok" will leave you wondering about the truth

Reactions: Geniko
Yah, no way 25kW rate at that low of a SoC is battery/chargegate. I charged my P85D last week and got 122kW (~10% SoC) for a split second, but it settled in at 90kW after a few mins.

Yea it was shocking since my battery was super low. I’m planning on going to charge sometime this week and see if it has changed.

My typical charging is usually (estimate) 100kW for under 50mi, then will drop to 80 around 100mi and 45-50kW for the rest

My range useage doubled, my charging rate had already been throttled back alot. They replaced my pack a couple weeks ago. Technician said several cells had gone bad. They replaced entire pack. Took 2 days. My charge rate is still throttled down. But my range is back to 2013 number, 265 miles at 100 %.

Reactions: henderrj
My range useage doubled, my charging rate had already been throttled back alot. They replaced my pack a couple weeks ago. Technician said several cells had gone bad. They replaced entire pack. Took 2 days. My charge rate is still throttled down. But my range is back to 2013 number, 265 miles at 100 %.
265 is right on the nose for a new 85 pack.
I wonder if you got a "new" (90 or 100) software-locked pack or a really-well-rebuilt 85 one. Can you post a picture of your battery sticker?

265 is a brand new 85 with the old chemistry they don't make now, so it's probably the new 91kwh 350 volt "85" capped to 265 for longevity. I can't imagine an old returbished pack would still have 100% original capacity.