Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MSLR - Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I currently have a 2019 M3P with Progressive, paying $201/m.

I just got a quote for my 2022 MSLR that "should" come this week, and they quoted me at $450/m!?!?
I have one wreck, where a guy T-Boned me while running a stop sign trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic. 2 Years ago.

Geico quoted me at $300/m
Tesla quoted me at $163/m which saves over $3400 a year in insurance

Obviously I'm going with Tesla right now as that savings is just insane. But my question is how much your score effects the pricing.
This is a sports car, and I enjoy going fast and getting my zoomies in.

Any other spirited drivers out there that have Tesla insurance? And can give some insight as to what happens to your premium if you enjoy the car and don't drive like a grandma?
Because keeping high 90s in Texas, from my beta experience is virtually impossible.

Shop around. It’s a pain. I went to Progressive for 2018 Model 3P. I forget but it was cheap. Then they started going up. Then my original insurance (Metropolitan) said we have good rates now and we switched back for a 2019 Model X $850/year. Then Farmers took over and rates stayed good. I just switched to model S and and it went up a bit to $1047/yr. That’s with “multicars”. 2019 Volt which is $500/year. 2 adult drivers no crash history no claims.

Keep in mind because you do have an accident on your record when they give you your FINAL rate it might be higher than original estimate. Your location makes a huge difference. And driving record and model (no so much the price of the car).

I also set all deductibles to MAX. Not worth paying high rate for low deductible.

Also a firm believer if it’s under $5000 damage, don’t file a claim. It paid off. I hit a dear last year. Paid $5k out of pocket to repair. No CarFax report. Just traded it and got top dollar. Had I claimed it I would have lost probably more than $5K on trade.

Shop around. It’s a pain. I went to Progressive for 2018 Model 3P. I forget but it was cheap. Then they started going up. Then my original insurance (Metropolitan) said we have good rates now and we switched back for a 2019 Model X $850/year. Then Farmers took over and rates stayed good. I just switched to model S and and it went up a bit to $1047/yr. That’s with “multicars”. 2019 Volt which is $500/year. 2 adult drivers no crash history no claims.

Keep in mind because you do have an accident on your record when they give you your FINAL rate it might be higher than original estimate. Your location makes a huge difference. And driving record and model (no so much the price of the car).

I also set all deductibles to MAX. Not worth paying high rate for low deductible.

Also a firm believer if it’s under $5000 damage, don’t file a claim. It paid off. I hit a dear last year. Paid $5k out of pocket to repair. No CarFax report. Just traded it and got top dollar. Had I claimed it I would have lost probably more than $5K on trade.
Shopped around a bit more, and Tesla still much cheaper than others.... 30 years old, only accident is that one.

Sucks that my rate gets effected because some guy can't drive, I even swerved almost 2 lanes over to avoid him and he goofed and accelerated into me vs hitting the brakes .-. The damage was about $29k (for a M3P).

Shopped around a bit more, and Tesla still much cheaper than others.... 30 years old, only accident is that one.

Sucks that my rate gets effected because some guy can't drive, I even swerved almost 2 lanes over to avoid him and he goofed and accelerated into me vs hitting the brakes .-. The damage was about $29k (for a M3P).
It does suck. I had someone almost hit me head on (in my lane) I swerved to avoid him. We hit mirrors.
I called Police because I thought he was maybe drunk. He admitted he was texting to police. Every thing was all good.
Come Monday is insurance denied me, he lied to them. I said he admitted it in the Police Report. They asked for it.
They immediately cut me a check. All that was broken was the the Side View mirror (it had blind spot) so it was $1200 (at the dealer).
No body shop.

Cost me $5K when I traded a $40K Vehicle for a CarFax report (that they got from the POLICE REPORT) not the insurance.
Then when I was shopping around for Cheaper insurance for Model 3 I was hit with like $500 more a year for 3 years. It does not matter who was at fault, how much damage. I had an "Event".

It would have been MUCH cheaper if I shook hands with the driver that tried to kill me, thanked him for smashing my side view mirror, paid for it myself (which I initially did), never called his insurance or the police. That's the way it works.

Be sure to get what the rate WILL be when your record is clear.

One advantage of Tesla telemetry is that it doesn't penalize hard acceleration AFAIK. However one benefit for me of switching to Tesla Insurance is becoming a less aggressive driver. EV has had a bad iunfluence on me.

It would have been MUCH cheaper if I shook hands with the driver that tried to kill me, thanked him for smashing my side view mirror, paid for it myself (which I initially did), never called his insurance or the police. That's the way it works.

This is why high deductible makes the most sense. No one should be driving a new car who is concerned about paying a $2000 deductible anyways.

One advantage of Tesla telemetry is that it doesn't penalize hard acceleration AFAIK. However one benefit for me of switching to Tesla Insurance is becoming a less aggressive driver. EV has had a bad iunfluence on me.

This is why high deductible makes the most sense. No one should be driving a new car who is concerned about paying a $2000 deductible anyways.
The whole system is very wonky....and yeah I drove home after picking it up in Dallas Traffic during rush hour...it's essentially Mad Max on steroids, with a highway that has racetrack turns. Score went from 90 => 85 within that one drive, so curious how bad this gets :D'

But after driving to kickball game (adult leagues so fun), then back home, I have a 92 from 85. This will be entertaining to see how I am after 30 days. I'm going to drive my normal self and just see what happens. I drive in AP like 90% of the time anyway.

The whole system is very wonky....and yeah I drove home after picking it up in Dallas Traffic during rush hour...it's essentially Mad Max on steroids, with a highway that has racetrack turns. Score went from 90 => 85 within that one drive, so curious how bad this gets :D'

But after driving to kickball game (adult leagues so fun), then back home, I have a 92 from 85. This will be entertaining to see how I am after 30 days. I'm going to drive my normal self and just see what happens. I drive in AP like 90% of the time anyway.
Does using just TACC eliminate following penalties with Tesla Insurance?

Sometimes you get what you don’t pay for. As in Tesla “customer service.” I’ve not heard much about how well Tesla manages complex claims, and probably would not take that chance. I’ve got Allstate at exorbitant rates today, but they also helped me enormously when previous car was totaled by underinsured driver.

Sometimes you get what you don’t pay for. As in Tesla “customer service.” I’ve not heard much about how well Tesla manages complex claims, and probably would not take that chance. I’ve got Allstate at exorbitant rates today, but they also helped me enormously when previous car was totaled by underinsured driver.
In my 16 years of driving so far, that was the one ouchie. And it was someone elses fault.
As I had to do a lot of fighting and poking to get things done myself anyway, I don't see how it could be "much" worse. But I get what you're saying.

I'm hoping I never have to find out how they deal with complex cases. But with saving $4000 a year, I could afford an attorney pretty quickly if needed.
Over a 16 year period, that would be $64000 saved in insurance btw....I could literally buy 2nd car with the savings .-.

Welp minor updates, down to an 85 atm

Forward Collision Warnings:
Not a fan of how sensitive the forward collision warnings are....car was pulling into the turn lane but rather slowly, so I just went around the whole 6inches of them that was in my lane still, and got dinged a point for it -_-* Sorry I'm not coming to a complete stop in 50mph traffic because someone is incapable of getting into the turn lane properly .-.

Then I was in Traffic on DNT which is the equivalent of mad max rush hour. We were doing 75+ on the highway and things came to an immediate stop. Auto pilot handled this amazingly well. But I noticed the person behind me was NOT stopping, so I disengaged and made an emergency lane evacuation onto the shoulder and got dinged twice for forward collision warnings. The car that wasn't stopping nearly hit the car in front of me....so I 100% would of been in a major wreck. But hey...what's another 40-50$ a month on premiums for being a bad driver all because I avoided being tail boned -_-*

Hard Braking:
Not sure how this one is calculated, I never use my brakes due to the omega aggressive brake regen on new models since you can't adjust it anymore. So guess I'm getting dinged because of the regen braking....yay

Aggressive Turning:
From my beta testing days, this one is just impossible to be green in my area. There are turns on both side streets and highway that if you drive the speed limit you will get dinged for it.

Unsafe Following:
It's Texas....any busy city will know you can't get a decent score here without pissing off the world.

Forced Disengagements:
Wish the Model S was a little more alarming with this, with a black screen and grey tiny text it's hard to see the popup message sometimes when doing 80mph on the highway. I always keep my hand on the wheel due to beta experiences, but no issues here yet :)

Overall, it's pretty much what I expected. I knew FCW would be a major issue with how traffic is in Texas. So just being overly grandma careful to avoid them at all cost as this seems to be the most effecting when it comes to score.

Reactions: cbdream99

For me I have a 2020 M3SR+ every point above 90 takes off around 5-6 dollars, they start you off with a base score of 90 for two months, here's how mine looks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-10-23-00-34-45_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-10-23-00-34-45_dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 126
Welp minor updates, down to an 85 atm

Forward Collision Warnings:
Not a fan of how sensitive the forward collision warnings are....car was pulling into the turn lane but rather slowly, so I just went around the whole 6inches of them that was in my lane still, and got dinged a point for it -_-* Sorry I'm not coming to a complete stop in 50mph traffic because someone is incapable of getting into the turn lane properly .-.

Then I was in Traffic on DNT which is the equivalent of mad max rush hour. We were doing 75+ on the highway and things came to an immediate stop. Auto pilot handled this amazingly well. But I noticed the person behind me was NOT stopping, so I disengaged and made an emergency lane evacuation onto the shoulder and got dinged twice for forward collision warnings. The car that wasn't stopping nearly hit the car in front of me....so I 100% would of been in a major wreck. But hey...what's another 40-50$ a month on premiums for being a bad driver all because I avoided being tail boned -_-*

Hard Braking:
Not sure how this one is calculated, I never use my brakes due to the omega aggressive brake regen on new models since you can't adjust it anymore. So guess I'm getting dinged because of the regen braking....yay

Aggressive Turning:
From my beta testing days, this one is just impossible to be green in my area. There are turns on both side streets and highway that if you drive the speed limit you will get dinged for it.

Unsafe Following:
It's Texas....any busy city will know you can't get a decent score here without pissing off the world.

Forced Disengagements:
Wish the Model S was a little more alarming with this, with a black screen and grey tiny text it's hard to see the popup message sometimes when doing 80mph on the highway. I always keep my hand on the wheel due to beta experiences, but no issues here yet :)

Overall, it's pretty much what I expected. I knew FCW would be a major issue with how traffic is in Texas. So just being overly grandma careful to avoid them at all cost as this seems to be the most effecting when it comes to score.
What was your rate at an 85 score?

I'm this close to going with Tesla because it's almost half of what others are quoting me, but I don't want my rate to explode if my score goes down.

I have Tesla Plaid insurance in Texas with an 80-85 safety score on average which looks to be the result of:

1) forward collision warnings (usually when someone ahead is turning onto a different road, never been a situation where brakes were needed)
2) hard braking (just let me brake after 130+ without effecting my score please)
3) aggressive turning (I guess I turn at intersections too fast?)

Will probably end up switching to traditional insurance, I've driven this way for 15 years and never had an accident lol.

What was your rate at an 85 score?

I'm this close to going with Tesla because it's almost half of what others are quoting me, but I don't want my rate to explode if my score goes down.
Oh it was like $210 maybe? Still almost half of what Progressive quoted me, I'm back to 90 now. FWC STILL pissing me off though...
I have Tesla Plaid insurance in Texas with an 80-85 safety score on average which looks to be the result of:

1) forward collision warnings (usually when someone ahead is turning onto a different road, never been a situation where brakes were needed)
2) hard braking (just let me brake after 130+ without effecting my score please)
3) aggressive turning (I guess I turn at intersections too fast?)

Will probably end up switching to traditional insurance, I've driven this way for 15 years and never had an accident lol.
Yeah FWC Are absolutely garbage when it comes to detection....I got dinged by a car parked on the side of the road half way in their driveway -_-*
I also got dinged this morning by this silver truck in the video below

Was doing maybe 30 mph? And they slowed down 4-5 car lengths ahead?

Best part? was coming around a corner and this person was parked in the middle of the freaking road, FWC didn't even go off!
So cars 4-5 car lengths ahead slowing down = triggered, but cars parked in the middle of the road = nothing I guess

REALLY wish Papa Elon would fix this issue....tired of getting dinged for this crap
Capture.PNG

I am in DFW area and I switched from progressive to tesla last year. It saved me around 60%, If you can live with safety score then it’s great. For each point, my price differences is around 3-4 dollars/month. Tesla also estimate your mileage after 6 months, if it does not exceed your original requested mileage but close, they will re-estimate for you and increase your premium. It works great, I maintained 100 most of the months. However, the safety score keeps me from enjoying driving, I use AP whenever possible to keep the high score, I renamed it to APES (AP evaluation score).

Last edited:
I am in DFW area and I switched from progressive to tesla last year. It saved me around 60%, If you can live with safety score then it’s great. For each point, my price differences is around 3-4 dollars/month. Tesla also estimate your mileage after 6 months, if it does not exceed your original requested mileage but close, they will re-estimate for you and increase your premium. It works great, I maintained 100 most of the months. However, the safety score keeps me from enjoying driving, I use AP whenever possible to keep the high score, I renamed it to APES (AP evaluation score).
100 in DFW?! Idk how you can do it. You'd have to go below the speed limit everywhere pretty much, on AP the entire time. Taking corners 30-40% slower than you should. I enjoy driving too much xD

Interesting about the mileage, I put 9-12k as that's the range I drove with my M3P. I just ended month 3 today, and am at 4.1k miles (45% of 9k)
So if I'm close to that 9k range, I will get my premium increased? That seems pretty stupid....might have to start shopping again, getting tired of false FWC costing me money.

100 in DFW?! Idk how you can do it. You'd have to go below the speed limit everywhere pretty much, on AP the entire time. Taking corners 30-40% slower than you should. I enjoy driving too much xD

Interesting about the mileage, I put 9-12k as that's the range I drove with my M3P. I just ended month 3 today, and am at 4.1k miles (45% of 9k)
So if I'm close to that 9k range, I will get my premium increased? That seems pretty stupid....might have to start shopping again, getting tired of false FWC costing me money.
Correct. I pretty much use AP 100% on all the interstate and state highway or above 50mph, as soon as I am merged, tried to engage it on ramp but learned it's not safe, I almost got killed one time on I35E by a 80mph 18 wheelers when it tried to merge with AP. I gave up driving by myself for F2C, HB, that's no way not to get dinged. In the city, I don't use AP much but drives 3-5 miles below limit to avoid HB or having to run the red lights, it does draw some middle fingers, honk and occasionally some jerks will take over me and slam their brakes.

Just like you, even with AP, I have to constantly look behind, front and side, lower the speed proactively rather than wait till last moment for AP slamming on the brake, I even avoid going out at the end of the 30days cycle. I am almost to the point switching back, it just no fun and to some degree more dangerous.