TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MSR Houston now has a 11.5kW HPWC for rent

Discussion in 'Texas' started by SammichLover, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SammichLover

SammichLover Active Member

#1 SammichLover, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    If you've been considering getting your Model 3 out to a track day, or a weekend for HPDE, at Houston MSR but were concerned about your battery SOC there is now a solution. A Tesla wall charger on a 60A breaker, capable of providing full L2 current for a Long Range Model 3. You can get private exclusive access, "All you can charge", for $25/day.

It has been tested for usability. I used it for my LR AWD with a cycle of charging 1hr 35 minutes, driving on track 20 minutes and never at any point dropped below 50% SOC on the day. Exact usage will vary for this somewhat, RWD will use less SOC, Performance will likely be more, and driving style and conditions on the track will also impact specifics on SOC.

Next time out I am also going to try a 45 minutes charging, 10 minutes on track cycle, with one break for lunch. I expect this to work even better in terms of building skill, keeping in mind that with appropriate tire selection BEVs have a lot less need to "warm up" than ICE cars do.

The best thing is that if you live in the Houston area there is a good chance you can skip Supercharging on the day entirely. Charge up to 100% overnight at home, drive to the track early for the front gate opening at 8AM, and you should normally have time to bring the SOC back up to 90% if your first session is between 10AM and 11AM.

This is a new development I managed to get arranged, and is not provided by MSR Houston itself, so streamlining the reservation process in an ongoing effort. If you ask at the track office about this they are likely to answer you with a blank stare. For now contact me here via DM to arrange booking ahead. Reserving a date is first come, first serve so make sure to book a date at the same time you're arranging for your access to driving on the track.

• Helpful x 2