Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MSRP max for EV Tax Credit: before or after FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this was discussed before but I ordered a Performance Model Y configured with FSD coming in at $73,400. Delivery window is supposed to start 11/23/21. However, as I'm reading details the proposed EV tax credit bill, the SUV MSRP cap under the House plan is $69,000 whereas the Senate's is $80,000. The Senate's plan eliminates the 200k EV tax credit cap for Tesla and GM vehicles bought after 5/24/21 for a $7500 tax credit for 2021 returns. So nobody knows what exactly will pass, but I'd like a $7500 tax credit if possible.
Assuming the House MSRP plan passes, does anyone know if the Model Y's MSRP is calculated before or after FSD add on?
Basically I need to know if it's wiser move to drop FSD from the configuration but add it back on after delivery.

Sorry if this was discussed before but I ordered a Performance Model Y configured with FSD coming in at $73,400. Delivery window is supposed to start 11/23/21. However, as I'm reading details the proposed EV tax credit bill, the SUV MSRP cap under the House plan is $69,000 whereas the Senate's is $80,000. The Senate's plan eliminates the 200k EV tax credit cap for Tesla and GM vehicles bought after 5/24/21 for a $7500 tax credit for 2021 returns. So nobody knows what exactly will pass, but I'd like a $7500 tax credit if possible.
Assuming the House MSRP plan passes, does anyone know if the Model Y's MSRP is calculated before or after FSD add on?
Basically I need to know if it's wiser move to drop FSD from the configuration but add it back on after delivery.
Nobody can tell you.

Until there is a finalized bill on the presidents desk ready to be signed into law, anything can change. Do not base your plans around what congress may or may not do. They may not do anything. They can’t even decide to raise the debt ceiling and keep the government running.

Why not add FSD after you purchase the car? This will give you the best chance to qualify for a possible tax credit.

EDIT: I didn't really answer your question about FSD in the price - yes, if you order the car with FSD on the configuration, the price paid for tax purposes would include that. Not if you add it later. However, it would also be harder to get the FSD adder covered by your auto insurance in case of loss. Not impossible I think, but it's cleaner for insurance if it's in there on the MVPA documant.

I'm looking at all these issues also. I already have a VIN and I'm scheduled to pick up the car on Thursday.

But now with all this hullabaloo about the tax credits it's causing additional uncertainty. Some versions of the legislation, possibly including the new "Biden framework" are said to not have the retroactive feature for 2021 purchases. However I haven't personally combed through the language of different versions myself to try to understand those details. It would certainly be very frustrating to take delivery in the last couple of months and miss out on a $7,500 to $10,000 tax rebate. And it's been suggested that this issue could cause a sudden raft of refused deliveries in 4Q, and that it would be a huge mistake to accept delivery (it's not clear that if someone pointed out this trouble that it would cause Tesla especially, whether that would motivate the drafters to fix it or to ensure the trouble occurs).

There's been some discussion on TMC but not nearly as much as I would think. And yes you'll get plenty of people recommending you to ignore the issue, but it's harder to think that way when it's your own money on the line.

Specifically for your situation, I would caution you on two points:

First, if you do remove the FSD, it is reported that this will indeed reset the configuration price to the current numbers. And once you hit that button you reportedly can't back out and restore your prior price. Fortunately for you, this is not such a big deal for the MYP because it's had only one or two relatively small price increases. It's a potentially major issue for MYLR which has had huge price increases (the effect depends on your starting point, i.e. when you ordered). It could be an $8,000 effect if you ordered in February. For me it would be a $5,500 effect.

Second, there's an argument in another thread (sorry I would have to go look for it to give you the link) over whether the Model Y is actually considered an SUV by the ocficial federal definition. The disturbing theory is that it does not actually meet the official classification as an SUV, because it weighs less than 6000 lb and perhaps one or two other disqualifying issues. It wouldn't necessarily matter whether Tesla calls it an SUV, nor even whether your state's MVD classifies it as an SUV on the title; the federal legal definition could force it into the "sedan" classification - which if true would set the qualifying price cap to $55k. I'm not saying that I believe this is true or that I know one way or the other, I'm simply trying to alert you to the potential issue.

Proceed thoughtfully if you are thinking of making a change. I'm hoping for more clarity in the next couple of days, but I'm a little pessimistic that will happen.

Last edited:
Second, there's an argument in another thread (sorry I would have to go look for it to give you the link) over whether the Model Y is actually considered an SUV by the ocficial federal definition. The disturbing theory is that it does not actually meet the official classification as an SUV, because it weighs less than 6000 lb and perhaps one or two other disqualifying issues. It wouldn't necessarily matter whether Tesla calls it an SUV, nor even whether your state's MVD classifies it as an SUV on the title; the federal legal definition could force it into the "sedan" classification - which if true would set the qualifying price cap to $55k. I'm not saying that I believe this is true or that I know one way or the other, I'm simply trying to alert you to the potential issue.

Proceed thoughtfully if you are thinking of making a change. I'm hoping for more clarity in the next couple of days, but I'm a little pessimistic that will happen.

something similar happened to me w/ the Sec 179 credit for a Lexus SUV. A recall lowered it's weight which meant that year model didn't qualify. Luckily I was able to force the dealer to take it back (by cancelling the check!).

IRS/Feds is the ultimate source of truth. Not dealer, state etc

Reactions: MY-user
:

First, if you do remove the FSD, it is reported that this will indeed reset the configuration price to the current numbers. And once you hit that button you reportedly can't back out and restore your prior price. Fortunately for you, this is not such a big deal for the MYP because it's had only one or two relatively small price increases. It's a potentially major issue for MYLR which has had huge price increases (the effect depends on your starting point, i.e. when you ordered). It could be an $8,000 effect if you ordered in February. For me it would be a $5,500 effect.
Not sure I have heard of anyone getting the price reset with the removal of FSD. In fact just the opposite, many have stated that they removed it w/o that happening in the Model S forums (where there is a bigger price change risk up to $15k).

Reactions: RevToRed
Why would you order FSD when subscription is available? It will take 4+ years of continuous monthly subscription just to break even, not to mention the opportunity cost of the same capital. And consider FSD is not transferable, that seems like a big gamble. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t understand the rationale here.

Reactions: vickh
Why would you order FSD when subscription is available? It will take 4+ years of continuous monthly subscription just to break even, not to mention the opportunity cost of the same capital. And consider FSD is not transferable, that seems like a big gamble. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t understand the rationale here.
I think the only rationale is that the FSD subscription of $199 is likely to go up as more functionality is added. If you pay $10k now, you are done.

Nobody can tell you.

Until there is a finalized bill on the presidents desk ready to be signed into law, anything can change. Do not base your plans around what congress may or may not do. They may not do anything. They can’t even decide to raise the debt ceiling and keep the government running.
00EE06CB-5185-4768-9564-5C0535EAE859.jpeg

Reactions: Ray_R
Have read the porposed new Fed. tax credit will not be retro-active, so no $7500 tax credit for Tesla's purchased before the new law takes effect (assuming that it does pass Senate and House voles and Biden signs it). Haven't heard it the effective date would be when Signed into law or Jan. 1, 2023