Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt Airy, MD - Phantom Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
ABRP shows a Supercharger at Mt Airy, MD in the municipal parking lot. It shows a third party logo, rather than the Tesla logo. But ABRP shows it as a 150 kW "SuC" which I assume means SuperCharger.

I think this is very mixed up and wrong, but who knows? Anyone use this lot who can explain? Is this a third party operated SuperCharger? Or just a mislabeled destination charger?

I don't recall there being any superchargers in that area. There are CCS chargers there which I believe max out oat 50kw. There is Tesla destination charging at Watkins Park in Mt Airy, MD. Closest SC is in Frederick and there is another in Urbana.

Here's a thread and picture I posted last May:

Tesla charger in my home town

The picture shows one charger. I drove by there recently and saw two chargers. There are 2 or 3 third-party chargers there too.
Yes that’s the one. The mayor (he passed away recently) was an EV driver and he was responsible for bringing those chargers to the historic section of Mount Airy. There are also destination chargers at Watkins Park and Black Anlke Vineyard. There are probably others around town as well.

Mount Airy covers four (Maryland) counties. Howard, Frederick, Carrrol, and Montgomery. I see quite a few Tesla driving in the area.

Yes that’s the one. The mayor (he passed away recently) was an EV driver and he was responsible for bringing those chargers to the historic section of Mount Airy. There are also destination chargers at Watkins Park and Black Anlke Vineyard. There are probably others around town as well.

Mount Airy covers four (Maryland) counties. Howard, Frederick, Carrrol, and Montgomery. I see quite a few Tesla driving in the area.

Yes, I see I posted to that thread when I first found mention of a Tesla Supercharger in ABRP. I've tried to alert ABRP about the error, but so far no word. It is good to have eyes on the ground to make absolutely sure. Thanks

It would be nice to have a charge at Mt Airy or somewhere along Rt 70 toward Baltimore. I drive this way to/from BWI and have to go a bit out of the way to charge near the airport. Otherwise, I have to charge in Fredneck, which is ok I suppose. They have two sets of chargers there now. In addition to the 8, 150 kW units at the mall, there's 8 more 250 kW units right next door at the Sheetz.

Tesla seems to cluster then sometimes. They have one station on the north end of Charlottesville, a bit off the Rt 64 highway. Then there's another maybe 8 miles further north on Rt 29 and another 12 miles north of that in Madison! Then they skip Culpeper, a real city, and add more at the Opel Sheetz (they call it Bealton, probably because of the USPS address) and skip Warrenton, with another in Haymarket! I get the Haymarket charger, as it's right off Rt 66. But why Bealton, Madison or the other two instead of Culpeper and Warrenton? I guess it has to do with the gas stations. That seems to be where the new chargers go mostly.

If they add more stalls in Fredericksburg, I'd like to see those in the Cosner's Corner shopping area near some restaurants. I don't appreciate sitting in the car while charging. I'd much rather be nibbling on Tom Kha Goong instead of playing games on the console.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I was stuck in Mt Airy last night. I left a friend's house and was past Damascus when I realized I had left something important behind. That wasted enough charge that I ended up spending the night and am now charging on a 120V outlet to get enough to make it to Gaithersburg. I could go into Mt Airy to hit the destination charger, but it's still slow charging and I'll be out of here shortly.

I don't get why Tesla has ignored the idea of putting a Supercharger along Rt 70 between Baltimore and Frederick. It would not have as much local use, but plenty of through traffic would benefit.