Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt Bulla from Melbourne

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gudda EcoCloudIT

EV trip planner has these numbers

Distance

235.3 km
Driving Time 3:16
Charging Time 0:00
Total Trip Time 3:16
Total Energy Used 51.1 kWh
274 RKM
Average Efficiency 217 Wh/km
Net Elevation Change 1571 meters

Assuming Melbourne CBD start point

4.5 Degs Outside ALL the way.
20.0 Deg C inside cabin All the way

Starting from Melb GPO with 100% charge.

A 70D with a full charge has a useable 63KwHrs approx.
Conclusion its doable -personally I wouldnt want to get caught part way up to Bulla with some road prang leaving me sitting there for possibly hours and having a little stress out.( Ive had it happen twice over the years).
Actually I would be a little surprised if someone hasn't already done this trip.
If you where the nervy type you could go on past Merton turnoff and cut across to Euroa- Super charge and hit the mountain with a about 85% charge. Then trickle charge at Bulla overnight. I have discovered if you leave the car on warm while your away to stop freezin the beast the aircon will chew about 8-10 Amps (240 volts) all night if your parked in snow to maintain 20 Deg C.so a 32 Amp charge point will yield about 22Amps of charging and the rest diverted to heating. The other choice is just let it cool down over night and defrost the next morning but it takes a while to get it toasty...

I've had a look at this trip for a Model S60D. Its doable, but as Keiron said, you have to hit the Euroa supercharger on the way there (or back, or both). The diversion to Euroa adds about 15 minutes to your journey time (plus 30mins charging), but an added bonus is that you will avoid the dreaded Buller traffic jam.

I'm not sure where Keiron is suggesting you trickle charge at Mt Buller, most cars are restricted to the lower public car parks at Buller, no where near any buildings or power. There are very few cars in the village, and those that are there either own the car spot or have special lodge permits (only a few are allocated to lodges each year).

Don't give up so easily. Any road trip i've done so far (only 2) involved many phone calls and internet surfing trying to find chargers (any type). I'm sure with a little perseverance and effort you'll find someone who will share their power. Especially if it entails the first trip to Buller by a Tesla!

Euroa to Buller return is only about 40kWh in a 70D according to EVTP, so if you charge up on the way you should easily have enough to get back there even allowing for a little loss sitting in the cold a couple of days. And for backup I'm sure you'd find somewhere in Mansfield with 3-ph you could top up on. I'd say you should be able to do it easily.

Don't give up so easily. Any road trip i've done so far (only 2) involved many phone calls and internet surfing trying to find chargers (any type). I'm sure with a little perseverance and effort you'll find someone who will share their power. Especially if it entails the first trip to Buller by a Tesla!

I second Alpal here Eco, go for it, drive steady to start off to get some buffer in to the driving range, lots of photos too please.

Thanks for all the replies.

Seems like range wont be an issue, as long as I accept 60km's more of driving (via Euroa) as we'll be staying in the Mt Bulla at Snowmass...this means I would be inclined to park at the top of the mountain in the car park without power.....however it also means I have to carry chains that will fit the 21inch wheels (without damaging the car/wheels) and are legal....in another thread chains got talked about...

Hmm, chains on 21s I think could be an issue if you have to actually fit them, although the appropriate low clearance Konig/Thule models with the nylon protection thingys might be ok from a damage perspective.
Alternatively leave the car in the carpark of MMBL and take their bus up, they might even be able to let you trickle charge (I talked to them about this last year and I think there was some possibility of an accessible power point).