Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt. Evans (Colorado) Road Rally Set for June 8, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

Tessie had a play date

Yeah I think mine, stevezzzz, and that guy from Evergreen were sig red.

We had a wide variety of colors and option packages there from what I gathered. Notably absent were any Blue or Green. Ironically on the way home near Golden I passed a blue going the opposite direction. I desperately wanted to use some sort of Tesla instant messaging to send him a "Hey bro where were you?"

View attachment 23451View attachment 23452View attachment 23453View attachment 23454View attachment 23456View attachment 23457View attachment 23458

With my previous electric trekking limited to several Denver trips, and one overnighter to Colorado Springs and back, I decided that the Mount Evans Rally was the perfect opportunity to test my range and adventure capability. (Actually the biggest adventure was crossing Berthoud pass on the way to Winter Park in a snowstorm- but range wasn't the issue there)

I supposed that places like the HPWC at Park Meadows would be pretty well in demand from other folks coming from far away. I have charged for an hour on a 30 amp Chargepoint station before and decided that it was hugely boring to charge at that speed unless you have something more interesting than a Walgreen's or Kohl's adjacent.
I used the online calculator called "evtripplanner.com" to check for feasibility of making this all on one charge. This is a neat web calculator that someone is creating which takes into account your car size, weight, battery size, as well as payload weight. I believe it also uses posted speed limits to determine energy use and allows you to make a fudge factor if you plan to either speed or drive under the speed limit. Most importantly for this trip it factors altitude change as well!

This tool indicated approximately 53.3 kWh use for the 120 mile trip from Fort Collins to the peak and 20.5 for the trip home. Which I felt to be encouraging, especially as I could always give up and charge at a 30amp somewhere if I absolutely had to. Of course as all experienced EV trippers have correctly stated: you will save more time by slowing down. Unless the charger you're going to can return more miles per hour charged than you are driving miles per hour traveled, then slowing down is way more efficient.

As you can hopefully see in my attached pictures above, I started with a full tank (a few hours after completing Firmware 4.5 update:biggrin:). I chose to play it safe and run the A/c in range mode, and drove about 70 mph rather than my usual speedier habits when range is not a concern. I was slightly late for the gathering, but got there just in time to catch the caravan. What a beautiful drive up the mountain with a fleet of S's!

About 3 of us stupidly took the wrong path after the stop at Echo lake, so I added about 10-15 unexpected miles here headed to Evergreen. Once we discovered our error (had to wait till Internet connected to do the navigation, as I had cleared my previous destination at the middle school.)

The speed was slower from there as the roads narrowed, it was notably taxing the range with our steady ascent. At the top I had travelled 139.8 miles and used 53.6 kWh. Close on the predicted energy use, despite 19 more miles driven than predicted! I spent a little Tesla time explaining the car/company/our little gathering to a couple different groups as I took the obligatory short hike to the peak. (Now I've done two 14ers! This one was more fun by far!) at the slow upper mountain speeds I figured the aerodynamic hit of an open pano roof would be negligible, so we rocked that for a while, enjoying the cool high altitude breeze.

The cool part of the trip down was regaining miles all the way back to Idaho Springs. I'm sure y'all got to see your "projected range" on the energy app max out at 999miles! I impressed a couple of snowboarders who were hitching a ride down to the parking lot by that frozen lake. Apparently they work search and rescue and were practicing some techniques for going uphill, but then ran out of snow to board on for the trip back to the car. I disconnected the parcel shelf and folded down one seat so the two of them and their snowboards had plenty of room.

Somewhere around this point my battery died.

Not the car, it was fine. I guess I had been a little picture and video-happy with my cellphone and I wasn't really watching its battery level, so it went down to 20% before I knew it. Also on lots of the mountain/ canyon roads i couldnt get slacker so i resorted to bluetoothed music from my phone. By then I still had lots of pictures etc I wanted to take and texts to send. So I just used it till it turned itself off and chuckled at the irony.

On the trip home from Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs, Navigon told me to drive the road through Golden, Boulder, Longmont, etc instead of I25, so I went that route in the interest of science. This way is much more scenic and relaxing than the interstate route, and of course there are lower speed limits as well as occasional stop lights so it was definitely slower.
My trip home only used a net of 15kWh over 118.5 miles, and I had 26 miles of rated range when I got home. My final stats kind of impressed me: apparently despite my trip up averaging 383 Wh/mi, my return trip use was only 126 Wh/mi making the total trip average closer to ideal range than rated range. My trip total was 265 Wh/mi, traveling 258.4 miles on 68.5 kWh.

It was truly a pleasure meeting all of you that attended, and I look forward to making it an annual EVent! Thanks to Dennis for organizing us, and thanks to Ms. Driscoll for helping me find the middle school rally point which eluded Google maps.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody know how to make my pictures embed, rather than the little attachment hyperlinks?

We had a wide variety of colors and option packages there from what I gathered. Notably absent were any Blue or Green. Ironically on the way home near Golden I passed a blue going the opposite direction. I desperately wanted to use some sort of Tesla instant messaging to send him a "Hey bro where were you?"

Then mine made 4.

I was there with Lithie and she's blue. So just missing green