Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt Rushmore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving cross country from DC to WA and about to stop in Rushmore (Rapid City). Anyone with good suggestions of where to charge while seeing the sites? A shuttle from the supercharger would be awesome! But doubting that exists. Any locals interested in meeting up?

about to stop in Rushmore (Rapid City). Anyone with good suggestions of where to charge while seeing the sites?
If you get to 90% at Rapid City you should have no trouble getting to Rushmore and doing the Norbeck park loop road.
Park on the top level of the Rushmore garage if you want to get a picture of your car with the presidents in the background.
Then head on over to the city of Custer and enjoy a meal at Black Hills Burger & Bun. Look at Plugshare because you can literally plug in most anywhere in town to either a destination charger or a J1772 and get more juice while your enjoying the food/sights.
Makes me wish I was there. Enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Whilst at Custer, drop in at the Chamber of Commerce while charging at any of the half-dozen or more chargers in the parking lot to say hi to Dave. Ask him about the upcoming 4th Annual Sound of Silence Black Hills Tesla Rally, and how Custer became the most EV-connected small town on the continent.

Across the street are good salads and better craft ale at Bitter Esters (yes, there was an Esther).

You won't be disappointed if you tour the visitors center at the Crazy Horse National Monument near town as well.

All of the above including the charging can be done in an afternoon.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
I was at Mt. Rushmore a few weeks ago. Parked on the top level of the southwest garage as per the suggest from @Half Dollar Bill . (Note: you need to be in the SW garage, not the NE garage to get the photo!) Garage was closed off but I moved the chains/cones and got a few photos just as the sun was rising. Moments later the officials came over and asked me to leave as they were preparing for some construction/repairs to that garage. Tried to upload the photo here but keep getting an alert that the photo is too large (even though I saved it as low resolution and file size was on the order of 650 KB). And I don't do Dropbox or any of those other sharing sites....

Model X at Mt Rushmore.jpg

OK....finally got around to cleaning up photo files and realized I hadn't gotten around to resizing this pic for posting.

So......here is Model X at Mt. Rushmore last September.

View attachment 295327

OK....finally got around to cleaning up photo files and realized I hadn't gotten around to resizing this pic for posting.

So......here is Model X at Mt. Rushmore last September.

Great picture and lighting - that turned out really nicely.

The next casting call for yer photogenic chariot is in May for the 5th Annual Sound of Silence (Black Hills Tesla Rally) in Custer, SD (at the upper parking lot of the Crazy Horse National Monument just outside of town).

Maybe this year they’ll pose the Xs along the edges of the arrowhead that the ~50+ cars will form. That would look great with the doors deployed.

If you get to 90% at Rapid City you should have no trouble getting to Rushmore and doing the Norbeck park loop road.
Park on the top level of the Rushmore garage if you want to get a picture of your car with the presidents in the background.
Then head on over to the city of Custer and enjoy a meal at Black Hills Burger & Bun. Look at Plugshare because you can literally plug in most anywhere in town to either a destination charger or a J1772 and get more juice while your enjoying the food/sights.
Makes me wish I was there. Enjoy!
Thanks for the tip! We're going to take the Model Y up to Rushmore today!

There are Tesla HPWC/Destination chargers in the parking garage at Mt Rushmore.

Yeah. Six plugs total.

People need to use plugshare.