TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Mt. Shasta supercharger elevation is highest on west coast! 60kWh need full charge!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Discoducky, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Dec 25, 2011

I made it with 1 rated mile remaining ;) but started with 170 miles of rated range, drove at 70+ and in freezing temps. I managed the loss to the destination, but it still freaked my wife out when she noticed we rolled in with 1 remaining. The rest of the trip the lowest I was allowed was 10 remaining ;)

Get at least 40 miles of rated range buffer as the Mt. Shasta supercharger is literally the highest supercharger in elevation.

Coming from Corning the elevation delta is nearly 4000 feet. Figure 7 miles of rated range lost per 1000 foot elevation gain and you'll lose about 35 in elevation gain alone. Factor in more if temps are below 50 degrees and/or wet roads and more if you want to keep up with car traffic and not the slow trucks.

Also, the stretch to Grants Pass crosses a few very high passes (with the highest point on I-5 being the Sisiykou Pass), but the Grants Pass supercharger is at a lower elevation so you end up getting range back.
  2. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Nov 21, 2012
    You are brave ... One mile.
  3. Odenator

Odenator P2607

May 2, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    Yup, I averaged about 460Wh/m on my last road trip on the I-5 and twice pulled in to the Grants Pass and Mt. Shasta SC with 0 rated range. My math sucks.
  4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Feb 27, 2009
    A very good rule of thumb is 7 rated miles per 1,000 feet. Corning is at 300 feet and Mt Shasta is at 3,500 feet. That is 3,200 feet elevation or about 23 rated miles extra needed over a flat trip. Cold weather and high speed will do what they always do. Just add 23 rated miles to what you need to get from Corning to Mt Shasta if it were flat.

BTW, you get those rated miles back on the way down. I do a lot of ups and downs in the Rockies. As long as you drive reasonably, keep regen in standard, and the descents are not incredibly steep (very rare on interstates), you get all most all of that potential energy back.

Enjoy the mountains! :wink: Glenwood Springs and Silverthorne in Colorado are both far higher than Mt Shasta.