Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt Vernon IL to Louisville Ky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mt Vernon IL to Louisville Ky - I64

Has anyone made this hop in cold weather in an dual motor model 3? What speed, temp settings, and soc does it take to get there without worry.

I know Kyle from out of spec has done it several times but videos are short on details. Speed and climate control? Wind and temp? ABRP says that 100% to 10% is possible but I was looking for some real data for planning. I’ll likely have new tires that will impact my range which is an unknown variable I’m trying to plan for.

The 3P is pretty bad on range compared the anything with stock wheels. Our model y feels like it could easily out distance our 3 by 50 miles. A lot of this has to do with resistive heater in the older 3 and the heat pump in the Y.

make sure you do a good solid prewarm, set tire pressures to 44-45ish. (There were some model 3s where they recommended 45 for a while) and turn off the A/C no use only when needed. And find your bare minimum comfort level with Temp.

I input my performance 3 in, it says I can do 95% to 19% at 60mph. I feel like this is possible trip for you. Even if it feels a little slow.

on route there is Lynnville campground that’s 245V and 40amps. That’s pretty good if you have a 14/50 plug that you can bring. Picnic for an hour and continue your drive confidently. Look it up on PlugShare though.

Reactions: Wvapoker
2018 LR AWD with 18" aero wheels and snow tires.
I've travelled that leg on my way east (and back) a few times, including cold weather. Charged to 100% in Mt Vernon, set acceleration to Chill mode, speed limit to +4 mph, cabin temperature to around 65.
Made it to Louisville with about 15% charge left.
ABRP said to limit speed to 65, but I was able to travel at my +4. Of course weather & traffic variables can affect range. On one trip I cut it close because of a major accident on Rt 64 just short of Louisville.

Reactions: Wvapoker
Mt Vernon IL to Louisville Ky - I64

Has anyone made this hop in cold weather in an dual motor model 3? What speed, temp settings, and soc does it take to get there without worry.

I know Kyle from out of spec has done it several times but videos are short on details. Speed and climate control? Wind and temp? ABRP says that 100% to 10% is possible but I was looking for some real data for planning. I’ll likely have new tires that will impact my range which is an unknown variable I’m trying to plan for.

I recently did this route in the westbound direction with a 20 MPH head wind and even higher gusts. Full charge on my car shows 285 miles. Left KY with 96%, cruised behind a truck at 60 MPH for the first half of the trip, sped up a bit for the second half, but just to the speed limit. Arrived with 6%. Temperature was pretty mild, so it could be very difficult with a head wind and below freezing temps. There are a few bailout L2 options if things get really ugly, but they’re a pretty significant diversion from the highway.

My advice is to take it very slow until you’re sure you can make it, then speed up.

...on route there is Lynnville campground that’s 245V and 40amps. That’s pretty good if you have a 14/50 plug that you can bring. Picnic for an hour and continue your drive confidently. Look it up on PlugShare though.

The campground was on my radar. It will be pretty late in the day but I can nap for an hour.

I have done a 198 mile stretch from charleston wv to Washington PA and 212 mile stretch from sanibel island to Deltona fl. But the model 3 hates cold weather and I’ll have new all weather tires by then with little wmh data.