Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt. Washington Auto Road in a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip report...

Friday night drive up to Omni Mt. Washington Inn, drop off wife, drop off car at Tarry Ho Campground (conveniently across the street from where my wife and I went on our honeymoon way back when...) get driven back by hotel staff.

Saturday - hike Arethusa Falls (Arethusa Falls - Waterfalls of the Northeastern United States) ok, this was more strenuous than I remember. Note to self: park in upper parking lot. Stop for lunch, then drive up Mt. Washington. This is a wiiiide car to be driving on the auto road! My wife won't be impressed that I posted that picture, please note there were near hurricane force winds up there. The 2nd trips picture is actually across the street at the charging station.

photo (25).JPG
photo (24).JPG
photo (23).JPG
photo (22).JPG

I went to charge but didn't realize there was a private event going on in the barn. Trustees of the .... who had a wine tasting before a ride up the mountain. I may have been talking to 20 people at once. I should have just not charged and driven them around, I probably could have sold a dozen cars ("my husband has got to see this...he drives a Bentley..."). Had I gotten the dual chargers I wouldn't have needed to charge at the campground again (it was marginal but I wanted to drive back with detours and at full speed). So off to Tarry Ho again. I wonder how many cars I could have sold if I had just left it out front at the hotel...

Anyway, it was a great trip and thanks to all for mapping out the charging arrangements.

Arrived at the lodge yesterday morning and found another Model S (VT plates) fresh off the charging station. Once the event was rolling, I was in "Tesla time" non-stop for the entire day. I spoke with a gentleman with the NH elec co-op, whose job is to convince businesses in the North Country to put in charging stations. Very interesting conversation and I shared our recent frustrations with visiting the area and encouraged him to use those examples in his pitch. And for future reference, on the drive home through North Conway, there was a big sign "Two new electric vehicle charging stations" at the Red Jacket Resort. North Conway NH Hotels | Mountain View Resort | White Mountain Resorts

Arrived at the lodge yesterday morning and found another Model S (VT plates) fresh off the charging station. Once the event was rolling, I was in "Tesla time" non-stop for the entire day. I spoke with a gentleman with the NH elec co-op, whose job is to convince businesses in the North Country to put in charging stations. Very interesting conversation and I shared our recent frustrations with visiting the area and encouraged him to use those examples in his pitch. And for future reference, on the drive home through North Conway, there was a big sign "Two new electric vehicle charging stations" at the Red Jacket Resort. North Conway NH Hotels | Mountain View Resort | White Mountain Resorts

Great stuff!

I received a response from the GM at the Omni Mount Washington today. He and his engineering team are looking at the cost and logistics involved of installing a charger station (or 2) and once they have determined the viability they will let us know if this is something they will do. At least we have them discussing the possibility of an install.

I just spoke with the GM because I booked a Bretton Woods townhome for MLK weekend and wanted to confirm about chargers before the cancellation deadline tomorrow. He said they put two 220v and two 110v outlets in the main guest lot (I had suggested they put them in the valet lot but he said they needed a spot that would minimize digging up pavement). It looks like I'll be breaking them in next weekend! He or his head of engineering will email me the details about plugs and amperage. I will definitely try to give him a ride or even drive, and will post the outlets on Plugshare once I've tested them.

Thanks all for your calls and emails to Bretton Woods. He said they aren't sure of the best protocol for managing the outlets so would appreciate our advice - suggestions please!

If this is true, please add it to plugshare with pictures!!!!

Great news, Peter. My suggestion re managing the outlets is that people charging should leave contact info with the front desk, who can then help manage use.

From the GM this morning:
"The electricians tell me they installed two 120V 20 amp outlets & two 14-50R 240 V outlets. I believe it is basically the same service as provided at Attitash. The front office team is working out the protocol and should have a plan to test when you are here next weekend."

I will give them your input, Robert, and after testing will put on plugshare with photos, Bhuwan.

I am amazed how much more populated the Plugshare map of the area has become since I was planning our trip there last June. Some of this is due to Bhuwan and others putting campgrounds etc. on the map, but Attitash and several other hotels have stepped up - and now the Omni as well. We are all helping drive this change and buildout of EV infrastructure, paving the roads for others to follow - how about a collective pat on the back? (And how about a few superchargers up this way as well?)

The Omni Mt Washington/Bretton Woods resort is now a viable EV destination! They have installed two posts each with NEMA 14-50 and 110v plugs at the nearest edge of the hotel guest parking lot. Some additional fill and grading is needed in the spring - for the time being just parallel park in front of the posts - and there is no signage but they were easy to find. I got 40A and about 24-27 mph.

y3a6ese8.jpg

pysu8uta.jpg

ytu4y8e8.jpg

They are still working out policy and procedure but I expect plugs will be managed by the front desk/valet for resort and restaurant guests, and owners asked to move cars after charging. I am the first EV to charge but they used the 110v for a truck's engine block heater recently. I will try to confirm the right contact info tomorrow before putting it up on Plugshare - been too busy skiing.

Great to see this progress - thanks to GM Steve and team!