Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt. Washington Auto Road in a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As people awaken this morning, I suspect many pictures will be posted. Let me just say, as I awaken myself at a campground in twin Mountain, charging at 24 mph, it was a great time. Great group of people. Bit windy, foggy, cold, true Mt Washington. Worst weather in the world, but the best people to be with. Many thanks To those who put time in organizing this.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
image.jpg

I made the trip to Mt Washington early in the morning, knowing I could not meet the group for the sunset trip. I was fortunate to have 2 "firsts". My MS was the first to use the new 70 amp charger at the base. Howie and his staff were delightful, all interested in EV's. Their facility is powered by hydro. He said there had been 3 other MS's that had made the trip up the mountain at various times, I would be #4. We discussed many of the Tesla features inculding the advantages of regen braking. The trip up was wonderful. Dash photo shows energy usage of 12.4 kwh, 1555 wh/mi in only 8.0 miles. The other "first" was on the trip down. I set a new record as being the first vehicle to descend the mountain without touching the brakes. I went back to the report that to Howie and he graciously told me they would not make that publc, as they would not want others to beat it. So, it will remain a private memory. Oh, I also noted that regen braking gave back 23 free miles on the way down.

I wentback through N Conway, but only saw one MS. It was a flash of headlights and we were unable to link up. A fun adventure and a great road trip.
photo (11).JPG
photo (15).JPG
Dash @ summit.JPG

Me charging at their CS-90 ... I arrived with 16 miles of rated range left
photo 1.JPG

iPhone Pano of most of the cars in the lot -- a few more arrived after this point
photo 2.JPG

The convoy lining up at the gate. I'm next to last in line.
photo 4.JPG

All of us at the summit. It was very foggy. Basically 0 visibility. 42F, 45-60 MPH winds, and rainy. AWESOME. Sunset was beautiful :tongue:
photo 3 (2).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I ran into BAD traffic on the way up. I re-routed using Waze instead of the car ... didn't think about the implications -- distance, elevation differences on that route, etc. And it took me over 4 miles of no-man's-land dirt road that barely fits a bicycle. As I approached, I knew I had a 16-mile delta between rated range and distance to go, but no idea if it was going to take me over a very mountainous path so I really had no idea if I was going to make it. And there's no cell data signal out there so really hard to figure stuff out on the fly. Lesson learned. Thank goodness I did a range charge even though I didn't originally need to (original route was 189 miles, and about 1,000 feet of elevation change (up and down though)). The new route involved backtracking, too -- so total new distance was 232 miles! That trip average was 290 Wh/mi (67.3 kWh). The trip back was 196 miles, 275 Wh/mi (53.9 kWh). I didn't drive particularly gingerly, either (was usually over the speed limit).

The ride up the mountain was 7.8 miles - 1561 Wh/mi (12.2 kWh). The average of the ride up and down was 440 Wh/mi. I only regen'ed about 15 miles as it was a harrowing effort to get down in the pitch black and dense fog. The group got broken up so I took lead and crept down. Yikes.

I took a video of the ascent. I'll post that later.

3:30 am - got home at 7:15 :)
Jeff forgot to set his car to charge (it was on times charge) when we went out for pizza so that set us back an hour. Doh!
Jeff you make it OK?

Ben what time did you charge until this morning?

This was a fun trip ! Wish I had stayed at one of the campgrounds and planned my departure better ( like a real jacket):(

Ben, Jeff made it back to Tarry Ho, saw them this morning as I was leaving.
Seems he didn't get back until 1:30AM... I gave his wife and girls a ride back to Tarry Ho, we got back at 10PM

Anyone think this should be an annual trip? Henry mentioned that to me, and it might be a good idea, at least until we make it up their with a view and better weather :) Maybe an early to mid June trip in 2014? Any maybe during normal daylight hours, I don't know about anyone else, but that drive down is terrifying in the dark and fog, I tailgated 10-20' behind Jeff on the way down and even that close the car almost disappears, and some of those curves come up fast.

Henry, thanks for lugging the 25' of 80A EVSE cable with you, I appreciate the effort.

my statistics: 44 miles consumed on the way up, 18 miles recovered on the way down
I had to use my defroster as well, windshield was fogging up..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Feet up, relaxing board before a Sun-frosted lake. Reflecting on the events of last night, was a really super time. I have some truly amazing photos (due to the subject, not the photographer), and will post them when I get to a computer to download them from my DSLR. Enjoyed breakfast with Jeff, Diana, Chris and "Treeva" this morning. Best eggs and bacon you can find anywhere in Twin Mountain.

Feet up, relaxing board before a Sun-frosted lake. Reflecting on the events of last night, was a really super time. I have some truly amazing photos (due to the subject, not the photographer), and will post them when I get to a computer to download them from my DSLR. Enjoyed breakfast with Jeff, Diana, Chris and "Treeva" this morning. Best eggs and bacon you can find anywhere in Twin Mountain.

I knew I should have booked that
Cabin!!! Damn!

It was great meeting you all!

Made it home with range to spare, despite the hilly terrain of northern NH/Vermont. These hills can be your friend, with light traffic, this can car glide....

Car unloaded : check
Car washed : check
Customary souvenir installed : check

MtWash.jpg

P.S. and removed right after the picture ... :)

I wonder if the souvenir is visible if taped to the rear window?
Wish I could have been there!

/Ed

PS: One of my co-workers did the "bike up Mt. Washington" race. Now he wastes his time with 80 mile canoe races.

It was great meeting you all!

Made it home with range to spare, despite the hilly terrain of northern NH/Vermont. These hills can be your friend, with light traffic, this can car glide....

Car unloaded : check
Car washed : check
Customary souvenir installed : check

View attachment 27526

P.S. and removed right after the picture ... :)

Congratulations to you. Were you the only representative of Quebec? you have to tell us your story and you made it. How was the charge at Nun's island. did it work out well?

Hey Ben, we made it back safe eventually. After leaving the base I got back to Tarry Ho with 10 miles of range to spare. The bad news was that the campground only had 3 50A sites (that I could find) and they were all occupied. After getting a few hours of sleep I got up to get charging. I fiddled with the site Mitch had used but was not able to get any juice. So at 6:00 AM I said my silent apologies and unplugged Chris and Eva's car and started charging. After carpooling and a great breakfast we were fully charged and were able to make it home. Hopefully next time we do something like this it will be a little less exciting from a charging standpoint! :smile:

The kids had a great time and are ready for whatever the next adventure is.