Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud Flap Adventure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered the OEM Y mudflaps directly from Tesla and they sent me 3 instead of 4 plastic grommets. Their solution was to go to an auto supply store and buy the missing one instead of sending me the replacement. I said no thanks and asked for a full return, which they granted.

Annoyed, I decided to order the RPM flaps knowing full well the newer Y's have a tricky bolt in the rear to deal with. Turns out that that part was easy by following the instructions carefully.

Left front installed in a few seconds, as easy as expected. I move to the front right and there is a missing grommet. Isn’t that ironic I thought to myself, did the Tesla parts order fulfillment person know I was missing one? Nope. Just another instance of poor build quality. Look closely that the image below. The red circle is the location of the missing grommet. Why is it missing you ask? Because the plastic outer hole doesn’t line up with the hole in the body behind it! So when they were building the car, it wouldn’t go in so they probably just up. The yellow circled area clearly shows this entire part wasn’t installed flush to the edge.
in the end, the OEM wouldn’t have installed correctly either.

Fortunately, I asked our office maintenance director to take a look and he was able to force it in but it’s not perfectly flush and we’ll fix it with some double stick gorilla tape.

Final product looks good at least!

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 243
Have you had any maintenance in that area since getting the car? I would have probably had service look at that and fix it personally.
The car is only 3 weeks old. Our maintenance director, who is very car savvy and we even have a garage with a sunken area to work under a car, thinks this would require the entire front end to be disassembled to correct this. Not worth it at all.

Edit: On second thought @wraithfive I've scheduled mobile service to come take a look.

Last edited:
The car is only 3 weeks old. Our maintenance director, who is very car savvy and we even have a garage with a sunken area to work under a car, thinks this would require the entire front end to be disassembled to correct this. Not worth it at all.

Edit: On second thought @wraithfive I've scheduled mobile service to come take a look.
It might require that. I agree it probably wouldn't be worth all that. But I'd still want to at least have them look at it so I think mobile service is the right call. Might be less work than we think and at least then it's documented if it later causes some other issue.

My passenger rear wheel well lining also was missing a grommet and yes, the hole in the liner and the hole in the frame were way off. I bought the aliexpress flaps and they had extra long grommets. One grommet it is sitting at an angle and I am going to use black silicone seal to fill in the gap.

The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. Put in a service ticket and they approved it for 0$. Should come next week to fix the misalignment and install the right mud flap. Will keep you posted. Tesla left out the right outboard push cap from the factory because it clearly didn’t fit which is very annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. Put in a service ticket and they approved it for 0$. Should come next week to fix the misalignment and install the right mud flap. Will keep you posted. Tesla left out the right outboard push cap from the factory because it clearly didn’t fit which is very annoying.
Yup, same exact spot. What's your VIN, maybe ours came out at the same time by the same worker ;) I'm 142xxx

I have been reading about different mudflaps out there so are the RPM OK to install? I am supposed to be getting my MY in May so what should I look for in the rear? It seems as if something is not quite compatible.

I have been reading about different mudflaps out there so are the RPM OK to install? I am supposed to be getting my MY in May so what should I look for in the rear? It seems as if something is not quite compatible.
On the recent Ys there is a bolt and 2 clips instead of all clips to remove to install rear RPM mud flaps. If you follow their instruction video carefully, which we did including the use of penetrating oil, it shouldn't be a problem to install. Took just a few mins per on my car and in fact, because of the bolt, the rear ones are held in place much better. The front ones, that should have taken 30 seconds to install, took longer on mine because of an assembly defect on Tesla's part and they are coming out to fix it, hopefully.

On the recent Ys there is a bolt and 2 clips instead of all clips to remove to install rear RPM mud flaps. If you follow their instruction video carefully, which we did including the use of penetrating oil, it shouldn't be a problem to install. Took just a few mins per on my car and in fact, because of the bolt, the rear ones are held in place much better. The front ones, that should have taken 30 seconds to install, took longer on mine because of an assembly defect on Tesla's part and they are coming out to fix it, hopefully.
Video on their website?