Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flap plugs - need new ones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Apologies if this has been asked before but does anyone know the name of the black, plastic "push" plugs that secure the front mud flaps onto the wheel arch?
My wife (yes, it really was her!) pulled out of a drive but not over the dropped kerb, over the regular kerb instead and the drop dented the mud flap and damaged the plugs. I can't push them back in now.

Thanks in advance.

No idea which ones they are, but I'm presuming they're just those push fit fasteners you see in various places...

Probably something like this? Bumper & Sill Trim Clips- Heavy Duty 12mm Plastic Rivet

1623055536863.png
1623055568989.png

Here's the plug. It's 30mm long. Also a picture of them pushed in far as I can right now.

View attachment 670477View attachment 670478

Here's the plug. It's 30mm long. Also a picture of them pushed in far as I can right now.
Just checking you're aware that those plugs are in two parts? If you extend the 4 arms you should be able to remove the pin in the centre. Then with the pin out (retracted) push the plug in all the way then push the pin into the plug.

To me it looks like that should be reusable.

Yes Medved, Durzel! I already took apart the plugs, inserted the outer cases and pushed in the inner plugs and although they went in ok, one is quite badly buckled and won't reform easily.
Cool, sorry if that was asking the obvious.

I bought this set from ebay a while ago:

Good mixture of clips in there, might be suitable for you.

Cool, sorry if that was asking the obvious.

I bought this set from ebay a while ago:

Good mixture of clips in there, might be suitable for you.
Haha, I'd always state the obvious too, just in case some brain-freeze was involved!

Thanks Medved, and VanillaAir, for the suggestions, I'll have a look.

Haha, I'd always state the obvious too, just in case some brain-freeze was involved!

Thanks Medved, and VanillaAir, for the suggestions, I'll have a look.
Actually you’ll be doing us all a service if you can post details of the specific ones once you find some! As you will already have discovered there are lots of very similar looking rivets and it will save people buying a huge variety box in the hope of getting ones that fit!

Regardless that this is in the UK/Ireland subsection, I keep coming across a lot of people not posting what they eventually got locally for replacement Mud Flap replacement clips/plugs. Besides buying a whole set of variety sizes online.

I just got back from AutoZone and tried a GM Body Clip 8mm (too loose), 8.5mm (slightly not enough), then tried the following and it worked really snug.

GM, Body, Cowl Vent Retainers - Item Number 461250AA

Not sure if having the old ones out enlarged the hole but this one worked for me.

You can buy this kit from Tesla for £5.40
M3 MUD FLAP FASTENER KIT (1531766-00-C) it includes 4 x push clips and 2 x 10mm bolts. The use pins are the longer ones that are about an inch long.
I got my from the service center and they just added the cost to my Tesla charging credit card.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
You can buy this kit from Tesla for £5.40
M3 MUD FLAP FASTENER KIT (1531766-00-C) it includes 4 x push clips and 2 x 10mm bolts. The use pins are the longer ones that are about an inch long.
I got my from the service center and they just added the cost to my Tesla charging credit
Does this work for the model Y & where did you get this part number from?

Another option is to put the mangled clip in the oven at around 60 - 80 DegC. Most plastic has a memory and if you heat it to just below it’s softening poking will reform a little, might be enough to allow reuse.

Obviously remove the centre pin before putting in the oven!

Standard mud from from Tesla have a massive design flaw, they hold mud behind them against the metal arch, which will cause rust issues, common problem on BMWs and other manufacturers. My car was 2 weeks ago when I removed them and they will full with mud/grit