Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud Flaps (Again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone:
I'm picking up my Model Y on Aug 31st. I want to get mud flaps but confused about the front (Tesla) flaps vs the front & rear ones on Amazon. I've read about the bolt stripping when installing the rear flaps. Does anyone have any recommendation as to whether to get only the front ones from Tesla or all four from an Amazon dealer with easy installation. Please recommend the ones that you got and how easy they were to install.
Thank you.

I would highly recommend the Rally Armor mud flaps. They cost more but they are very durable. My car is lowered so it was a must have vs the Amazon ones. The front mud flaps IMO are mandatory but the rears purpose is not so much to protect your car from debris but it prevents from kicking debris to people driving behind you. I purchased the Rally Armor through Ebay which is cheaper than purchasing it elsewhere. The OEM Tesla are about $50 for just the fronts and I believe the Amazon ones such as Basenor are $40 for all four. However, i've seen some people complain about its durability.

The Tesla front flaps look nice and they work relatively well (from what I can tell, only the Rally Armor provides more protection). For the price, I don't think Rally Armor are really worth it, though they do offer a measurable in protection.

If you want matching rear ones without worrying about the stripped bolt situation, use these:

That is the setup I have, Tesla fronts, Nansure rears. The Nansure rears match the style of the fronts and can't tell they're not a matching set unless you're very critical (Nansure's are slightly smaller looking). Note that Nansure has two different types of mudflaps, one matches the OEM fronts while the other looks more like a low profile style.

I have been reading a lot about mud flaps but have not done anything since

(1) my EDD is end of Nov22-Jan23 and I don't know if the car would come with front Tesla mud flaps installed
IF NOT
(2) what do U guys recommend based on your current experience with mud flaps?
(a) Tesla mud flaps vs. after market product?
(b) front only vs. front-n-back mud flaps? pros and cons

Your inputs are greatly appreciated
Enjoy your ride

I have been reading a lot about mud flaps but have not done anything since

(1) my EDD is end of Nov22-Jan23 and I don't know if the car would come with front Tesla mud flaps installed
IF NOT
(2) what do U guys recommend based on your current experience with mud flaps?
(a) Tesla mud flaps vs. after market product?
(b) front only vs. front-n-back mud flaps? pros and cons

Your inputs are greatly appreciated
Enjoy your ride
Honestly, I'd wait to see if you get the "free" Tesla front flaps and rear PPF in your region. I didn't and I ordered a pair of the Tesla front flaps before my MYP arrived. Well, I got the free flaps and PPF so now I have a spare set if they ever get damaged. Rear flaps are a total waste in my opinion. They do nothing to protect your car, just the guy riding your as* behind you!

Reactions: CMPT PAD
I agree rear flaps do nothing to protect your paint, however, they are not entirely useless.
1. They are mostly cosmetic and make your car look more balanced front to back
2. They prevent some of the spray behind you which helps with visibility for the car(s) behind you. Why does this (sorta) matter? Getting rear ended is not exactly good for your vehicle...

FWIW, the non-flexible ones I got from amazon broke off in a day when I hit a part of uneven road under construction. My car is slightly lowered. One side broke right off. They looked nice and were easy to install though.

I'm ordering a front+rear flexible set to try https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WH91GTY

I agree with dagug about getting rears to match the fronts. After owning my MY for a couple weeks, I noticed that the side skirts get quite dirty, even in dry conditions.

20220918_113427.jpg
20220918_113434.jpg
20220918_113443.jpg

FWIW, the non-flexible ones I got from amazon broke off in a day when I hit a part of uneven road under construction. My car is slightly lowered. One side broke right off. They looked nice and were easy to install though.

I'm ordering a front+rear flexible set to try https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WH91GTY

I agree with dagug about getting rears to match the fronts. After owning my MY for a couple weeks, I noticed that the side skirts get quite dirty, even in dry conditions.

View attachment 855202View attachment 855203View attachment 855204
Did you ever swap out the flaps? If so, which one are you using now?

Tesery Mud Flaps for Tesla Model Y which can effectively block the rocks flying out of the tire tread and hitting the car. Protects the body paint from snow, mud, stones and other damages, perfectly keeps the body clean and reduces the number of car washes and painting. Also, it keeps the exterior of your car looking good.
How to order
How to install

I didn’t ask. We had a ton of snow here, so just figured they would have said something to do with that. For only $40 for a new set, figured I would just order them. It’s 2 hours to my nearest service center. At that cost, makes more sense for me to just buy another set than try to fight with the service center for another pair to then have to go drive and get them.

The ones from Tesla are great and flexible too (speed bump flexible.) Easy to install within 5 minutes. No need for the rear flaps. Get the rear door PPF from Tesla to protect from paint chips.
totally agree, my front one, a solid piece, was literally destroyed, took them off, going to get the flexible one, and added the rear door PPF.